closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rapport Carriage Clock Repair

Master

Rapport Carriage Clock Repair

Just imagine it is a big watch so this is the right forum

We have a circa 28 year old quartz brass carriage clock made by Rapport that has stopped working. On battery change the old one was found to have leaked. So I cleaned that all up with isopropyl and tried a couple of new batteries to no avail. Whilst it probably has small material value it was given by my wife’s late uncle so has sentimental value.

So my question is how best to fix it? I know I can get a new movement but I am buggered if I can work out how to get the old one out to do the required measurements and don’t want to damage the clock. I can’t see or find any info on how to take it apart. Photos are

Failing any gems on how to get it apart are there any suggestions for who to use to fix it? I am Barnet based. Cheers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You could just buy a replacement movement, less than a tenner if I remember.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

At a guess I’d say that the glass needs to come out so you can remove the hands.

It does look pretty sealed up though doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very true. I would guess that the top case is secured to the bottom plate via screws underneath the green felt pads.

Should be just a case of removing the screws and lifting up the top case which should give access to the bits you need.

Obviously do not undertake this unless you are happy to do so, an easy job for clock repairer if you are not confident.

These might have what you are looking for

https://www.clockparts.co.uk/clock-movements.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    At a guess I’d say that the glass needs to come out so you can remove the hands.

It does look pretty sealed up though doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I have a Rapport clock, similar but not the same as yours, that needed a replacement movement.
    The fixing screws are located under the felt pad as previously mentioned.
    I managed to remove the pad by carefully prizing it out with a thin blade.
    The movement in mine did not have a standard size spindle, however I did find one to fit from Germany but the price was too high at the time so I have managed to fit a cheapo standard unit, with a bit of fettling, purchased from TBay.
    If you get to the point of ordering a new movement make sure you measure the spindle diameter and length plus the hand hole diameters very accurately as previously mentioned.
    Good luck.

Master
    Brill. Thanks for the replies all. I could only think that the screws must be under the felt and it’s good to have it confirmed. Irritating that it might not be a standard movement though.