closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insulating garage doors

Master

Insulating garage doors

Hi

We have some garage doors that consist of a wooden frame, thick plywood which is then covered with composite cladding. So on the outside they look nice.
    On the inside, I was thinking of adding some insulation to keep the garage a bit warmer.
    I have polystyrene sheets which I could use and also some insulation that came out of a wall - the type that comes in a roll. I was thinking of putting both on the backs of the doors and covering them with a sheet of plywood.
    Or, I could throw all the polystyrene and wall insulation away and buy some insulation that comes in a sheet and use that.
    Any thoughts??

Are the doors used regularly? If so is weight an issue? Rokwool or similar can be quite heavy.
    If using a product bought from the builders merchant I would look at a thinner sheet of backed kingspan
    The improvements you make to insulation will be limited. What are the seals around the door like? There is not much point insulating the door if the door does not seal well.

Master
    We have recently had a motorised segment door fitted at the mother in law’s garage. One of the big selling points was it was 45 mm double insulated.

45 mm is great compared to the 5 mm grp panels it replaced, but as the poster above has stated the fit of the door and the bottom seal makes a huge difference. Reducing drafts is certainly the way to go before increasing the mass of the door. In my opinion

Steve

Master
    Good point. The doors are new as they replaced an old up and over door that was basically a single thin piece of moulded plastic. That had gaps around the edge too.

For the new doors I be will adding a rubber seal all the way around the frame to block drafts etc. Weight isn’t an issue as they are on pretty large hinges.

Can't help with your actual question but one thing to seriously think about if also sealing up to prevent drafts is ventilation. It depends what you plan to use the garage for and how long you intend to be in there, but I used to exercise on a rowing machine in my garage and had to prop the door open to enable decent ventilation. Similarly I have recently been spending 2 hours a day in there working with the door closed. Plenty of draft around 3 of the edges but it still starts to get stuffy after about 2 hours. It is a standard single car size garage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Can't help with your actual question but one thing to seriously think about if also sealing up to prevent drafts is ventilation. It depends what you plan to use the garage for and how long you intend to be in there, but I used to exercise on a rowing machine in my garage and had to prop the door open to enable decent ventilation. Similarly I have recently been spending 2 hours a day in there working with the door closed. Plenty of draft around 3 of the edges but it still starts to get stuffy after about 2 hours. It is a standard single car size garage.
    Thanks. Ventilation is a good question - the plan is to use it for storage only. It opens into the house at one end which is why I want to insulate and seal the doors- the room the garage is attached to gets cold.