closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sticky Fingers?

Master

Sticky Fingers?

I, like many here no doubt, have far too many watches but I really struggle to let them go. I can't do the hassle of photographing, packing, postage, valuation etc., etc. Over the past two years I have worn one daily Valjoux chrono, had a Citizen parked next to the bed (it has good lume for when you wake up at silly o' clock) and the rest, (too many to recall just how many) have sat in a safe place! I'm guessing that I am not on my own? I have already "distributed" several to family members!

I know what you mean, for years I too could not be bothered to sell, but a couple of months ago I did sell two and plan to sell a few more, if nothing else it means more spare cash in to the watch fund. I seem to have changed my mind set.
    I do tend to wear the same 10/15 watches all the time with the others sitting unloved.
    I do keep a tritium tube Traser by my bed as a bedside clock it never gets worn on the wrist though.

I tend to wear the same watch for the office, another for weekends, one for holiday and one for DIY.
    In addition one or two for evenings out etc.
    Why then do I have about 20 watches?
    The cull is coming when I get round to it (been saying that for quite a while though).

I don't really sell unless I need to, I cringe when I think of all the ones I sold in the past that I didn't really have to, I did sell some great ones for a very specific reason 9 years ago though, help towards a house deposit so fully justified.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I know what you mean, for years I too could not be bothered to sell, but a couple of months ago I did sell two and plan to sell a few more, if nothing else it means more spare cash in to the watch fund. I seem to have changed my mind set.
    I do tend to wear the same 10/15 watches all the time with the others sitting unloved.
    I do keep a tritium tube Traser by my bed as a bedside clock it never gets worn on the wrist though.
    I keep a Uzi on mine for the same purpose
    Blutacked to the side of the cabinet so I just have to squint at it and not actually pick it up.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I think I have around 200 watches but probably only wear about a dozen regularly.

The ones sitting in the boxes are like money in the bank really.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Majority of watches are depreciating assets (some exceptions of course). That's absolutely fine if you're enjoying them and/or using them, but if they just sit in a drawer forgotten then I'd personally shift them on and put your money into something else. Just my 2 cents.

But hey what do I know, I have hardly any watches!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Majority of watches are depreciating assets (some exceptions of course). That's absolutely fine if you're enjoying them and/or using them, but if they just sit in a drawer forgotten then I'd personally shift them on and put your money into something else. Just my 2 cents.

But hey what do I know, I have hardly any watches!

Go vintage, all mine are and the financial appreciation ( not planned, just how its worked out ) has been considerable, same as Neil I expect.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Last year, I had a good hard look at which watches were never being worn.

None of them were appreciating in value.

I sold some on here on SC and the rest went on eBay. With the proceeds of all those, I bought a white faced Seamaster which I do wear.

I don't miss any of them, probably the reason they weren't worn was that I wasn't that keen.

Someone on here once said that you could have a lot of money tied up in average priced watches and in my case it was true.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I moved last year and that meant all my watches came out of hiding and into the light. I realised how many didn't get worn but it actually took lockdown and the rotation narrowing even further to prompt me to sell some.

I've sold 10 recently and had only ever worn 2. I've another half dozen on the chopping block. I don't miss any that have gone and don't expect to miss the others which will follow them out of the door.

I'm lucky that those I've sold have modestly appreciated, most of what I have left haven't and probably won't but I can live with that if I'm enjoying them.

And I'm looking forward to buying more!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Go vintage, all mine are and the financial appreciation ( not planned, just how its worked out ) has been considerable, same as Neil I expect.
    +1, my collection consists mostly of vintage Omegas, they may not be appreciating significantly now but they’re ‘eating nowt’ and that’ll do for me. I’ve owned some for over 20 years so the appreciation has been v. significant on those.

Master
    I got to the point around a year to 18 months ago where I'd accumulated more watches than ever before and oddly I found that led me to being less satisfied with each one individually without really understanding why - often changing watches several times a day. Unrelated at the time, but I decided to sell one of my higher-value watches to free up funds for something else, and actually offered a couple of different watches for sale with the intention of just selling whichever one went first; but once I'd 'detatched' myself from them found I was quite happy to let them both go, and a few more besides over the last year. I'm currently down to just 6 watches (from around 13-14) and 2 of those are currently for sale.

With the exception of one (BLNR) I have no regrets - even the ones seen as 'investment' pieces, which, for me, took some of the pleasure away from ownership in fact.

I'd like to trim things further, but like most, the thrill of the chase is still appealing, so recognising that I've devised a 4-watch plan:

1. Premium Sport watch of some description for the majority of daily wear.
    2. Smart but not too dressy watch that can be worn with a suit when needed but also casually.
    3. Utility watch (I hate the term 'beater') that's not a cheapy necessarily, but one I don't feel the need to worry about scratches too much either.
    4. Wild card.

The Wild card slot being almost on rotation if something new and shiny catches my eye.

Dunno if I could stick to this, but I've surprised myself thus far in genuinely not missing a few watches I thought were keepers, so we'll see.

EDIT: that said, I am waiting on another incoming right now. Old habits die hard.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 29th June 2021 at 10:09.

I try to keep it pretty minimal, no more than 6 watches (excluding a couple of gifts I don’t wear but can’t shift either) and a fairly strict one in, one out which seems to roll around every 6 months or so as the hunger for something new awakens. It works for me, everything gets worn fairly frequently and all bases are covered. I’ve never regretted a sale.

There was a thread a while ago where ‘3 and a G’ was touted as a good level and I must say that in an ideal world, I’d like to get to that but I think I’d struggle to consolidate so tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, my collection consists mostly of vintage Omegas, they may not be appreciating significantly now but they’re ‘eating nowt’ and that’ll do for me. I’ve owned some for over 20 years so the appreciation has been v. significant on those.
    That's right Gents.

The sort of Omegas I was buying for £50 fifteen years ago are probably worth around £500 now so a clear appreciation and also the pleasure of ownership.

I won't mention the £1500 Subs or £500 Speedmasters.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That's right Gents.

The sort of Omegas I was buying for £50 fifteen years ago are probably worth around £500 now so a clear appreciation and also the pleasure of ownership.

I won't mention the £1500 Subs or £500 Speedmasters.

I have a £500 Speedmaster
    Cheers..
    Jase

I have a £500 Speedmaster
    Cheers,
    Neil.