closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches and cycling

Watches and cycling

I know many of you are in to your cycling. I'm not. But my work colleague of 20 years is and, as I'm retiring shortly, I'm going to buy him a watch which, I hope, will fit within his cycling lifestyle as well as being a nice thank you gift for 20 years of happily working together in education without a single falling out or cross word.

So, quick question - do any of you have any recommendations for a good quality watch that has an application to whatever you cyclists do when you are out about pedaling away?

Master
    Normally use a Garmin Edge 520 computer but have used my Garmin Fenix 6x Pro or my Garmin Forerunner 735xt when cycling. Not sure I'd class them as "nice" but most cyclists will use something similar if not using a computer.

- - - Updated - - -

They are good quality though.

My cycling watch is a £10 Casio which I bought in 2011 when I started taking cycling a little more seriously and bought my first decent road bike. It's accompanied me on many long days in the saddle and was on my wrist when I cycled London to Paris in 2017.

Personally I just wanted something inexpensive given the chance of falling of and damaging it, that was legible at a glance and comfortable to wear.

I know a lot of the modern smart watches can link to Strava etc if your friend is into recording his rides etc... just don't buy him a Festina https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festina_affair

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

What sort of cycling is it, long distance touring or zooming along in a peloton, or something else?

Mainly long distance stuff I think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I expect that he has a bike computer or GPS. If not one of those. Alternatively, if he rides in all weathers, then something robust/waterproof like a decent G-Shock.

What about watches with a cycling link, pedigree or history. So, rather than a tool watch something more of a tribute type thing? Does Tag Heuer do anything?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Does a Festina fit the bill?

Definite cycling history...

Any watch will do-if he is serious about cycling he almost certainly has a computer to fill the recording need.
    I wear my Submariner most of the time.
    Richard Mille if you can afford it....
    https://timeandtidewatches.com/richa...lippe-cycling/

I do a bit of cycling myself and I wear an analogue G shock..cheap'ish, legible and no hardship if it gets bashed....ie this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0192OKC...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used to wear a Traser on a nato for cycling and that was a really nice hard as nails watch that was super legible in low light...I'm quite tempted by this similar variant myself (GWS imports Traser) :

https://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/...diver-lithium/

Craftsman
    Something light - G Shock or similar a good shout or titanium if metal. Also nothing with a crown that projects too far. Other than those parameters, it really depends on your budget.

I go off on my on my emtb whenever I can which is usually 4-5 times a week mainly on road just to keep in shape. Usually wear one of my g-shocks.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You can cycle in almost anything, provided its got reasonable water resistance.

You don't want super fragile but big and heavy means more rattling. Try to avoid big crowns too, as they cam dig in.

Some cyclists are big on colour coding, so matching their gear might be a win.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most cyclists don’t wear watches in my experience but I do.

Either my 58 or my Seiko diver. Most people will have a Garmin or similar mounted on the handlebars so any watch will do.

Cycling with the 58

I wear an Apple Watch. It has the Strava App. Will tell me weather, speed, heartrate, maps, messages, can make and take calls, Apple pay for coffee shops. I don’t think there’s a better sports watch out there.

Pretty much every other watch needs a phone and or wallet and bike computer to offer the same features.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    You can cycle in almost anything, provided its got reasonable water resistance.

You don't want super fragile but big and heavy means more rattling. Try to avoid big crowns too, as they cam dig in.

Some cyclists are big on colour coding, so matching their gear might be a win.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I was thinking about a splash of colour too. In which case a Swatch would tick a lot of the boxes.

Journeyman
    I wear a Timefactors baby dreadnought when cycling/swimming etc and a Garmin on the other wrist to record distance, HR etc. Depends on his wrist size too. Chunky wrists 40-42mm crown, slender wrists 36-40mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My favourite cycling watch (I have a few) is a Garmin Instinct. Good battery life, clear display, information on view customisable. Light and not too bulky on the wrist; can be worn as an everyday watch.

Master
    If you are set on buying a watch, I think something like the Garmin mentioned above would be the best call. I would bet (as others have observed above) that he has a cycling computer and doesn't wear a watch for cycling. If I was in that position, I'd probably value a watch that could do the same job as the computer, for more casual rides perhaps. But you would likely be buying something that would be firmly placed in the 'want' rather than 'need' category.

I think it depends what whether your friend is into cycling metrics, or just likes to cycle.

As an example I record the metrics and did use a Garmin Fenix watch for that. Now I have a new Garmin head unit and just use the Fenix to broadcast heart rate data.

FWIW I wouldn’t wear a nice watch on a bike, it’s easy to come off and damage it. If I wore a watch of my own it would be a G Shock, but only if I was getting HR data from a strap, so didn’t need the Fenix.

If he is data driven, a Garmin
    If not, a G Shock ( I have a Rangeman 9400)
    Or a nice watch, but don’t cycle with it!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he’s into metrics he’s probably got Garmin etc or whatever he needs. Maybe speak to his wife/partner if you can, buy something that is more of a luxury - nice to have rather than essential for his hobby.
    No idea what though!

Master
    How about a Timex Ironman?, plenty of different styles to choose from.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=mens+ti...ref=nb_sb_noss

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    A Garmin Fenix mounted on a Garmin handle bar mount, linked to speed/Cadence/heart monitor, works a treat even with my ageing eyes.

I think he has the metrics stuff covered. So, it is more about a gift to him with a nice quality watch that has some kind of explicit (or tangential) link to his main interest in cycling and perhaps even the various world Tours that he follows avidly?

Watches and cycling

I’d skip the cycling idea and just buy him a nice watch. I don’t see why you’d need a nice watch when out riding. If he’s really into it - he’s probably got a decent GPS already.

Another idea, although doesn’t fit the “nice” category is whoop strap - it monitors your heart rate and tells you how you’ve slept etc showing progress in recovery, resting HR and all those shenanigans. Most pros use it, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This I my go to watch if I go out for a pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I think he has the metrics stuff covered. So, it is more about a gift to him with a nice quality watch that has some kind of explicit (or tangential) link to his main interest in cycling and perhaps even the various world Tours that he follows avidly?
    I am really struggling with this one. The only thing that I can now think of is a dual time zone / GMT. Not really cycling related per se.

I’ve been using a Garmin GPS of one variety or another, for years. The current favourites are a bike mounted Edge for the long distance stuff or a Fenix for shorter, just popping out for a blast in the woods, riding. As others have said, if your colleague/friend is already into his riding pretty seriously, he’s almost certainly already got a favourite setup.

The only watch brand with a link to cycling that I can think of off the top of my is Festina. All quartz as far as I know but I’ve had a couple and they were ok. Looks like they now do a ‘connected’ range, which might be worth considering?

Cycling and watches don’t really go together like cars and watches. It’s just never really been a ‘thing’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I’ve been using a Garmin GPS of one variety or another, for years. The current favourites are a bike mounted Edge for the long distance stuff or a Fenix for shorter, just popping out for a blast in the woods, riding. As others have said, if your colleague/friend is already into his riding pretty seriously, he’s almost certainly already got a favourite setup.

The only watch brand with a link to cycling that I can think of off the top of my is Festina. All quartz as far as I know but I’ve had a couple and they were ok. Looks like they now do a ‘connected’ range, which might be worth considering?

Cycling and watches don’t really go together like cars and watches. It’s just never really been a ‘thing’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tissot are official timekeepers for many (most even) major races.

https://www.tissottiming.com/Sport/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Tissot are official timekeepers for many (most even) major races.

https://www.tissottiming.com/Sport/
    I just spotted that link to the Tissot TDF above (or below depending on forum access method ). I’m a bit out of date when it comes to road cycling, as I kind of packed it all in for the world of dirt, some years ago.

The Tissot looks very nice.

NCC is right. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone on here take a picture of their watch with their handlebars in the background!

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    NCC is right. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone on here take a picture of their watch with their handlebars in the background!
    Ahem

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post3591278
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I stand corrected C-B! That shifter looks Brompton-ish, very prestigious, judging by the fact that I haven't been able to have one built for me since the start of the plague.

I am trying to work out whether the dog is strapped to a rack or about to be run over!

Craftsman
    I used to wear my turtle while riding. I had a cyclometer to keep track of time and miles ridden, just wore the watch because I like wearing a watch no matter what I am doing.

Craftsman
    If you can find a good Rodania, then you have the Cannibal's watch:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...y-merckx/#gref

A good conversation piece even if they have no idea who Eddy Merckx is.

You can't go wrong with socks, and these socks are bound to impress a cyclist?

£15 off if you use the code READER1 No connection. This is from an ad in Private Eye.

I stand corrected C-B! That shifter looks Brompton-ish, very prestigious, judging by the fact that I haven't been able to have one built for me since the start of the plague.

I am trying to work out whether the dog is strapped to a rack or about to be run over!
    It's a Brompton which I took the precaution of purchasing in 2003 to avoid the rush. The dog is actually in the Brompton basket but I much prefer your two suggestions.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Do try to keep up at the back! ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie215 View Post
    This I my go to watch if I go out for a pedal.
    +1 👍🏻. Nice and light, tough as nails, easy to read and not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Good grief, they're breeding!

Has the Tissot TdF special already been mentioned?

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/t1256171705100.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Has the Tissot TdF special already been mentioned?

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/t1256171705100.html

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 26th June 2021 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Can I play?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk