closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 4K - uhd. On Bbc and itv

4K - uhd. On Bbc and itv

Hi all. 4K and uhd been around a while now and I enjoy the movies and sport on sky Bt etc in 4K or uhd
    Makes me think why don’t Bbc and itv show it as standard nowadays? Been watching the euros and think how good it would be to watch it in 4K

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all. 4K and uhd been around a while now and I enjoy the movies and sport on sky Bt etc in 4K or uhd
    Makes me think why don’t Bbc and itv show it as standard nowadays? Been watching the euros and think how good it would be to watch it in 4K
    You can watch the games in UHD on iPlayer, live(ish)

Despite the uptake in 4k there will still be (dare I say the majority) that don't have the hardware for it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

4k is only useful on a 55" screen or above. You won't see the difference on a 43" unless you sit a couple of feet from it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    4k is only useful on a 55" screen or above. You won't see the difference on a 43" unless you sit a couple of feet from it.
    When it comes to sport the football is night and day better on the iPlayer UHD stream compared to the terrestrial output.

Master
    It's simple - bandwidth. HD channels need more bandwidth than SD ones & UHD channels require even more. The existing Freeview multiplexes would have to carry far fewer channels than they do at present & you can't just drop HD & SD channels as you would end up disenfranchising a lot of the population.

There's also the production & tranmission infrastructure that would need replacing - it's only recently that BBC Wales & Ireland have been upgraded to HD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    When it comes to sport the football is night and day better on the iPlayer UHD stream compared to the terrestrial output.
    That can be down to the compression used. The Freeview channels use Variable Bit Rate compression as the channel is sharing the bandwidth of the particular multiplex with other channels. Depending on what programmes are on the other channels in the mux the bitrate can get squeezed if there is a lot of very active material transmitted at the same time.

The UHD internet channel can run a more modern codec & I'm pretty sure is a Constant Bit Rate of around 40mbs, although it's adaptive - if you have a slow connection you'll get fed a lower resolution stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    It's simple - bandwidth. HD channels need more bandwidth than SD ones & UHD channels require even more. The existing Freeview multiplexes would have to carry far fewer channels than they do at present & you can't just drop HD & SD channels as you would end up disenfranchising a lot of the population.

There's also the production & tranmission infrastructure that would need replacing - it's only recently that BBC Wales & Ireland have been upgraded to HD.
    And really, why would you spend money upgrading that infrastructure when a our media is going to come through a fibre cable eventually

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    You can watch the games in UHD on iPlayer, live(ish)

Despite the uptake in 4k there will still be (dare I say the majority) that don't have the hardware for it.

How do you do that??

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    How do you do that??
    Open iPlayer when the program starts, select the program, gives you the option.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    How do you do that??
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/q...#/Notification

Master
    Open iPlayer when the program starts, select the program, gives you the option.

never knew that!!! :0)

Thanks for the info

BBC iPlayer has been broadcasting some programmes in UHD since 2018.

This being TZ-UK, there was even a thread about it -

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-UHD-world-cup
    ______

​Jim.

[QUOTE=redmonaco;5776533]never knew that!!! :0)

Thanks for the info[/QUOTEYes thanks!

I tried to find the ITV stream via the built-in app on my Sony but couldn't find it. I get iplayer, but not the ITV version.

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I tried to find the ITV stream via the built-in app on my Sony but couldn't find it. I get iplayer, but not the ITV version.

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk
    I've not seen it available on ITV, then again the app for Android/Google TV from ITV I find particularly poor.

Master
    And really, why would you spend money upgrading that infrastructure when a our media is going to come through a fibre cable eventually
    Because planning for the changes started more than ten years ago & it will be many, many years before the national fibre infrastructure is complete enough to give the required coverage. If I recall correctly the BBC is obliged to make it's service availble to 98% of the population & the terrestrial broadcast system is a fairly efficient method of acheiving this.

You might try & argue that satellite transmission is capable of better coverage but there are issues with regionalisation, dish placement & having to upgrade a large number of users to satellite receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Because planning for the changes started more than ten years ago & it will be many, many years before the national fibre infrastructure is complete enough to give the required coverage. If I recall correctly the BBC is obliged to make it's service availble to 98% of the population & the terrestrial broadcast system is a fairly efficient method of acheiving this.

You might try & argue that satellite transmission is capable of better coverage but there are issues with regionalisation, dish placement & having to upgrade a large number of users to satellite receivers.
    I think we are saying the same thing. The current terrestrial broadcast system is perfectly good at delivering a HD signal to it's needed customers.

I mean why upgrade that broadcast channel to UHD when eventually all media will be consumed over the internet.

Master
    If anyone is interested there's an article on 4K/UHD adoption here:

https://www.ibc.org/features/uhd-ado...n/7647.article

Some interesting points: 75% of the channels transmitted across the world are in SD & 4K transmission is actually falling, not rising. It also highlights the infrastructure issues that are hampering traditional braodcasters.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about definition on TV. It's like mobile phone and camera marketing
    The latest 48 mega pixel cameras on a mobile are useless unless you are going to do very large prints. There's no difference on a standard 7x5" print for a 12 MP. camera.
    Same with TV 4k is useless on a 43", like the article above you need an 80" screen, although I think you'd notice it on maybe a 55" and above.
    Maybe someone might comment?

Master
    On my 55 LG Oled SD content looks terrible, like removing glasses.
    HD is excellent but UHD is another level of detail.
    Problem getting used to the quality is when you watch SD it looks terrible.

Blog Entries
    just done the iplayer thing on my new samo 55in, bloody great!

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    True that Steve, I have the 48 in LG CX OLED, and the HD/UHD picture is immense , i worried about the cost of buying one for ages but bit the bullet and i am glad i did , even "er indoors" says its looks great . Netflix and Amazon Prime do a lot of content in HDR now which has a real punch to the picture , but you are correct SD programmes do look terrible now

Cheers

Master
    Eng vs Ger in UHD

Master
    I refuse to watch SD anymore, not that there are many channels left. I’m amazed at what we used to watch, and then even more amazed with the clarity of tv picture I grew up with, as though cameras had Vaseline smeared on lenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    To be fair, don’t find it too bad on my LG. However, when it was in for a replacement screen, I borrowed a Panasonic LCD maybe 10-15 years old. Now that was low resolution!