closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Grand Seiko - SBGY007

New Grand Seiko - SBGY007

Saw this on Hodinkee and I think this GS is very much close to where GS need to be with their aesthetic. Looks absolutely divine. Still not cheap at $8300 and probably a bit pricey for me to buy right now, but on my radar! https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...-drive-sbgy007

That is lovely - really pleased it has no date as I feel Seiko’s date implementation is usually very clumsy in some otherwise lovely dials.

Will look forward to Ryan flipping his ... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    That is lovely - really pleased it has no date as I feel Seiko’s date implementation is usually very clumsy in some otherwise lovely dials.

Will look forward to Ryan flipping his ... ;)
    Oi I got dibs if Ryan does a flip

Craftsman
    Now if they could use that dial, with no date on the SLGH005....

Just out of my budget but what a lovely thing.

Master
    Well I'm going to go against the pack and set myself up for a flaming. It looks just like a million other watches out there.

Their prices have gone through the roof - possibly too fast too soon. Undoubtedly wonderful but time will tell if their marketing front got it right

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Their prices have gone through the roof - possibly too fast too soon. Undoubtedly wonderful but time will tell if their marketing front got it right
    Agree. Upgrading all aspects of their marketing, pricing, dials, cases, hands, but not the bloody bracelets or clasps.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree. Upgrading all aspects of their marketing, pricing, dials, cases, hands, but not the bloody bracelets or clasps.
    I’d say it’s a 5 grand watch but if there are buyers at 8 grand then the market decided I guess.

I prefer the Heritage design i owned with far more angular look and to me more Japanese looking if that makes any sense

Thankfully no bracelet on this one....

So much nicer without the power reserve thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Just stupid really.

Master
    The bracelet on my SLGH003 is mightily upgraded compared to previous model bracelets.

Craftsman
    Another off putting thing is the UK price of £7,700

When the USD price > GBP is circa £5,800

The SBGA211 or snowflake looks increasingly like good value.Get 2021 one for £4.5k and it comes on bracelet - just checked on ebay.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    The SBGA211 or snowflake looks increasingly like good value.Get 2021 one for £4.5k and it comes on bracelet - just checked on ebay.

It may be, but I'm not sure it is as pretty as this 007!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It may be, but I'm not sure it is as pretty as this 007!
    It's a nice watch for sure - but for me the "white birch' is the nicest dial/movement for now...just a pity about the prices going up which in some ways I can understand considering the jump in technology and design.Point I was making is the older movement or designs look increasingly like good value in comparison especially pre-owned.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    It's a nice watch for sure - but for me the "white birch' is the nicest dial/movement for now...just a pity about the prices going up which in some ways I can understand considering the jump in technology and design.Point I was making is the older movement or designs look increasingly like good value in comparison especially pre-owned.

Interestingly, I'm not a fan of the white birch, still also need to make my mind up on the 44GS case as well. This was a good article on the white birch - https://www.fratellowatches.com/gran...birch-slgh005/

Great size and finally thinner cases and no PR on the dial, keep more of them coming please.

I would also love to see precious metals at reasonable markups from GS. Would be competitive around the 15k mark.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks absolutely gorgeous particularly in the hod fancy shots.
    Not for me though, type doesn't suit me.

The days of £1 buying ¥245 are long gone. It was down to ¥120~ post Brexit and only this year crept back to ¥156. Japanese watches will seem expensive (in pounds) to anyone who has been buying since 10 or more years ago.

Craftsman
    I'm tempted big time

Master
    Lovely watch, though the price and servicing costs successfully put me off.

As mentioned they have had a go at a new bracelet and flush fitting clasp, though the result is quite wide and looks slightly experiemental. I suspect there may be a narrower version of the same clasp before long. As far as I know, only VC have nailed a flush fitting butterfly clasp that also has some adjustment.

Still, the original GS bracelets are the most comfortable out there and never seem to need adjusting once you get them right, it’s just you need a PhD in watchmaking to adjust them correctly in the first place. I think many give up before they find the perfect combination of links, short links and clasp placement, and assume the bracelets must need micro-adjustment to sort it out.

Craftsman
    Beautiful and I like that the simplicity allows the focus to be on the movement not just the visual bits and bobs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Lovely watch, though the price and servicing costs successfully put me off.

As mentioned they have had a go at a new bracelet and flush fitting clasp, though the result is quite wide and looks slightly experiemental. I suspect there may be a narrower version of the same clasp before long. As far as I know, only VC have nailed a flush fitting butterfly clasp that also has some adjustment.

Still, the original GS bracelets are the most comfortable out there and never seem to need adjusting once you get them right, it’s just you need a PhD in watchmaking to adjust them correctly in the first place. I think many give up before they find the perfect combination of links, short links and clasp placement, and assume the bracelets must need micro-adjustment to sort it out.
    Completely agree. With my first GS I got lucky by fluke. With my Snowflake I took it to the Seiko Boutique and we got there in the end. Both still my most comfortable bracelets I have had.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Great size and finally thinner cases and no PR on the dial, keep more of them coming please.

I would also love to see precious metals at reasonable markups from GS. Would be competitive around the 15k mark.
    PR is on the back which I really like. Now to wait for an Eichi II in steel!

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk