closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitness tracker help

Fitness tracker help

Members of my family have started to notice the benefits I was getting from my Apple Watch. Ms SJ has already expressed her desire for a 40mm one, 5 or SE I suppose.
    Mrs SJ however doesn't "do" watches, but she would like a tracker for all the normal bits plus swimming (pool [=set the size of the pool so the tracker counts the lengths] and open water [GPS-based]). It would need to work with her iPhone.
    I started to look at the Fitbit Charge 4 that appears to do most of the above (not sure for pool size) but trust the collective to educate me as to what would suit her best.

TIA
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Members of my family have started to notice the benefits I was getting from my Apple Watch. Ms SJ has already expressed her desire for a 40mm one, 5 or SE I suppose.
    Mrs SJ however doesn't "do" watches, but she would like a tracker for all the normal bits plus swimming (pool [=set the size of the pool so the tracker counts the lengths] and open water [GPS-based]). It would need to work with her iPhone.
    I started to look at the Fitbit Charge 4 that appears to do most of the above (not sure for pool size) but trust the collective to educate me as to what would suit her best.

TIA
    Probably too ‘watch like’ but I have the Fenix 6S which does all of the above and more. Is light but depending on wrist size might still be a bit large on your Mrs. Having seen some of the other Fitbit type ones I’d rather have the Garmin as the others can be narrow but are often quite tall as a consequence. I fine the Fenix well balanced size wise.

Hard to beat Garmin for battery life and GPS swimming.

Might be worth having a look at DC Rainmaker's website. He has reviews and tests for absolutely everything. Good videos too.

Charge 4 owner here, I don't go swimming but I find it excellent in all respects that I need it for.

Thank you for the replies. The Fenix 6 is a superb product but, like an Apple Watch, it will not see any wrist time. My concern with the Garmin offer (that would be accepted) is that it would be part of the vivosmart or sport range, and they do not seem as complete as the Fitbit.

@Geordie, can you set the length of the pool, please?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    You can set the pool length on the charge 4.
    Another option if she likes the apple watch is a slighter older model. Apple sells the watch 3 still for £200

Fenix range is good and I'm a Garmin fan but expensive, large and probably overkill for what she needs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've got a Charge 3 and like it, when it dies I'll get a Charge 4 to replace it. I'm a fan of Fitbit trackers, the Charge 3 follows on from a Charge HR.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thank you for the replies. The Fenix 6 is a superb product but, like an Apple Watch, it will not see any wrist time. My concern with the Garmin offer (that would be accepted) is that it would be part of the vivosmart or sport range, and they do not seem as complete as the Fitbit.

@Geordie, can you set the length of the pool, please?
    Perhaps the garmin venu 2S? Smaller size.

There used to be a thing for some having a reaction to Fitbit straps, I was one of the unfortunate and had to switch despite a couple of attempts.

Master
    I found the last few fitbit models I had required me, as the end user, to do their product testing for them. So many issues unresolved with the software, devices bricking themselves.

Left them entirely now, and was a huge supporter since the Flex came out. Even set up 120 of them for work well-being as part of a health initiative I ran.

Currently Apple Watch, but my garmins in the past have been fantastic & the bands are smaller, so can wear on one wrist with a watch. Often find I need to leave the Apple Watch behind if I want to wear a proper watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently got a Garmin 6 Pro from SC and it covers every exercise you can think of for a reasonable price. Probably overkill for her needs but before that I used a Garmin 245. Still watch like but a brilliant tracker in its own right. You can even download photos as your watch face background to make it more girly. I did have a Vivosmart too but the connection for charging was a bit rubbish and eventually stopped working. For her needs I'd highly recommend the 245.

Master
    Still using the old Fitbit Blaze I bought off here. Mrs uses a Charge 3. We like them, especially to compare stats.

Master
    Garmin Forerunner 735xt, not too big and very light to wear. It's really a triathlon watch so good for swimming, has wrist based hr monitor, tracks steps, sleep cycle, biking, running etc. Also links to Garmin Connect and the Connect IQ store so can download loads of apps, widgets, watch faces etc.

Master
    Apple watch 5 just gone up in SC

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    If you don’t mind the Chinese government watching your every move the I would say the huawei watch fit. This has everything you asked for for around 70 quid. However please note if paring to an apple it is more limited in it functions.

Looks like an elongated apple watch but battery lasts for at least a week with GPS enabled 2-3 times a week for an hour.

I’ve used Fitbits Charge 2 & 3 for quite some time and been very happy with them. Battery life is good and the app and dashboard are excellent.