closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Polymer Currency

  1. #1

    Polymer Currency

    I like wallets and have a collection gathering pace. They're fun and a lot cheaper than watches!

    Anyway, as there many ways different styles of wallets handle cash, the move to polymer notes means that my notes often have creases from having been folded in half or thirds. Even new notes often curl up making them annoying to fold, or count.

    I investigated some on-line suggestions how to flatten them.

    1. Placing notes between heavy books and placing weights on top. This didn't really work with the number of notes I had. There was simply not enough pressure.

    2. Ironing notes on low heat under a cotton shirt. This was better than the above option but any sane person hates ironing at the best of times, and there's the risk of melting the notes if you lose attention.

    3. Placing notes in a waterproof ziplock bag and then dunking the bag in boiling water. This actually works.

    As I understand it the heat "relaxes" the polymers which have been stressed when previously folded, or if the note curls without being folded.

    I put three well folded tenners into a ziplock, removed as much air as possible, and put the bag into a shallow bowl of just boiled water. I held the ziplock under the water for a minute with some tongs and then checked the results.

    Once the notes were cool, they laid flat. You could tell that they'd been folded previously but they were essentially flat.

    Hopefully this small hack, may help if you find crinkled or unwieldy notes annoying and need to count them or fold them easily to your liking.

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    765
    What are these banknotes you speak of?
    Seriously, I honestly can't remember having more than a tenner in my wallet since last March. I seem to pay for everything by debit card and find it much more convenient.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    What are these banknotes you speak of?
    Seriously, I honestly can't remember having more than a tenner in my wallet since last March. I seem to pay for everything by debit card and find it much more convenient.
    Indeed. They are becoming less and less used. However, I do like to have 30 to 50 on me just in case of emergencies, that sort of thing. Last time I used cash was in the supermarket a couple of months ago when my debit card wasn't accepted due to a bank cock-up and I hadn't brought my credit card out. That saved an embarrassing moment.

  4. #4
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,126
    This sounds like a lot of effort. Makes using cash sound even less appealing.

    The only time I ever use cash is once a month to pay the barber. Annoys me so much I'm tempted to find a barber that takes card payment.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,781
    Think I'll be ok with the single tenner I carry in my wallet, doesn't really take long to count creased or not🤣

  6. #6
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    12,794
    They uncrease themselves pretty quickly without any effort, just put them in your wallet and forget about them.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    5,117
    I put 200 in my wallet at the beginning of 2020 and I have still got 160 left. No one wants cash anymore, it's as dead as a Dodo. Anyway it was a revolting health hazard as you never knew whose pocket it had been in beforehand. I am glad to see its demise.

  8. #8
    when you take them out you are usually giving them to someone else anyway who probably doesnt give a monkeys about any creases.

    sometimes i wonder what medication some of the people that post here are taking

  9. #9
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,126
    Whilst I'm not particularly a germophobe, getting cash out at a cashpoint feels particularly grubby when you look at that keypad.

  10. #10
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,147
    Thanks for the tip. We buy our milk raw from a farm and the machine only takes 5 or 10 notes if you've no coins. It won't take the notes if they are creased😎

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maidenhead-ish UK
    Posts
    1,335
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    when you take them out you are usually giving them to someone else anyway who probably doesnt give a monkeys about any creases.

    sometimes i wonder what medication some of the people that post here are taking
    I'm guessing you'd think it odd to ensure all the notes were facing the same way when arranging them in your wallet.

  12. #12
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    23,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I'm guessing you'd think it odd to ensure all the notes were facing the same way when arranging them in your wallet.
    Is there another way? Perish the thought!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,175
    Thought this was a Crypto post!

    Could use my sous vide for this - hate a creased note too, thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I'm guessing you'd think it odd to ensure all the notes were facing the same way when arranging them in your wallet.
    tbh i was abit shocked by this post when i first responded , i was under the impression that everyone on here got their butler to iron their notes as well as face them the correct way and in order of value. :)

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Whilst I'm not particularly a germophobe, getting cash out at a cashpoint feels particularly grubby when you look at that keypad.
    I use cash machines all the time, yet here I am. Alive still.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Is there another way? Perish the thought!
    Correct, there is NO other way. Face up, all facing the same direction, largest notes at the back.

    Here in Scotland, we have the added complication of having three issuing banks, so they also have to be ordered by bank - alphabetically....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Thanks for the tip. We buy our milk raw from a farm and the machine only takes 5 or 10 notes if you've no coins. It won't take the notes if they are creased
    No problem. :)
    Last edited by dkpw; 8th June 2021 at 21:06.

  17. #17
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,126
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I use cash machines all the time, yet here I am. Alive still.
    Yeah, but if I can avoid touching stuff (crossing buttons, train door buttons etc) when out and about I will...including cash machines. I'm an unconscious nail biter (horrible habit I know!) so even though it probably wouldn't kill me either I'd like to limit how many faeces particles end up in my mouth.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yeah, but if I can avoid touching stuff (crossing buttons, train door buttons etc) when out and about I will...including cash machines. I'm an unconscious nail biter (horrible habit I know!) so even though it probably wouldn't kill me either I'd like to limit how many faeces particles end up in my mouth.
    You should perhaps consider one of these covid keys. Overkill for some, but minimising the risk for others. It makes me feel better using it on communal doors, keypads at the supermarket and on cash machines.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information