closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: uncrowded UK holiday destination

Master

Wanted: uncrowded UK holiday destination

In August we’re off to a very pleasant hotel in Cornwall that was booked ages ago. It’s going to be hell down there and I’m looking forward to it - not!
    As a contrast and to regain my sanity, where can I go to recover within these fine shores?

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    In August we’re off to a very pleasant hotel in Cornwall that was booked ages ago. It’s going to be hell down there and I’m looking forward to it - not!
    As a contrast and to regain my sanity, where can I go to recover within these fine shores?
    Hull?

Stay at home. I can't think of too many things worse than going on holiday this year.

(not the Tresanton, is it?)

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Hull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    Stay at home. I can't think of too many things worse than going on holiday this year.

Love the place!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post

Nope. The Victoria in Sidmouth + the Royal Duchy in Falmouth.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We’ve been to Charmouth for the last few years (last year aside) and always found it pretty quiet relative to anywhere else on the Jurassic coast.
    Not a million miles from Sidmouth too.

Master
    Nope. The Victoria in Sidmouth + the Royal Duchy in Falmouth.
    Great hotels :-)

Norfolk Broads on a hire cruiser.

Master
    We’ve taken a couple of trips to Shropshire now over the last couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Very quiet, lots of lovely walks and Airbnb’s to stay in.

I guess it all depends on what you’re after when you’re there. A nice beach is likely to be pretty busy this summer wherever you go!

Master
    Just don't come to the Lake District, absolutely mad round here at the moment🙄

Anywhere near the coast will be a nightmare so how about a quiet yurt near Lincoln? https://lincolnyurts.com/ I really enjoyed my stay and the breakfasts were amazing.
    Lincoln also has enough to keep you busy for a few days and isn't rammed yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

He will need the recovery position after a trip to hull

Lincoln is a good shout, great city or head out into the wolds, Louth is gorgeous and lots of nice places to eat/drink/walk.. I highly recommend the Royal Oak at little cawthorpe, great food and drink and beautiful river walk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    We’ve taken a couple of trips to Shropshire now over the last couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Very quiet, lots of lovely walks and Airbnb’s to stay in.

I guess it all depends on what you’re after when you’re there. A nice beach is likely to be pretty busy this summer wherever you go!
    Ironbridge was packed a couple of weeks ago when I passed through for work and that was a Wednesday afternoon.

West Wales where I try to go most weekends is as busy as I have ever seen it.

Coastal Scotland may be quieter from talking to a colleague but not much.

I have lived in Wales all my life and it has basically turned into a retirement village for English people so you may as well come on over.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    ...Coastal Scotland may be quieter from talking to a colleague but not much.
    I doubt it will be.
    ______

​Jim.

Herefordshire/Shropshire/Welsh Marches (border with Powys).

Its a little-known gem for walking and getting out on the hills, river walks etc.
    Last edited by Maysie; 8th June 2021 at 15:51.

Master
    Just accept the fact that 2020 & 2021 is going to be two years that we will all be glad to see the back of. So stay at home (one year won't kill you) and just do local day trips and eat out in local pubs. At least you will put some money into local businesses.

Just avoid a nice sandy beach with a nearby car park, there’s usually a second tier place just down the road that’s nice and quiet, you just might have to walk or wear trainers on the shingle.

I’m from the south coast Kent/Sussex border, this last year we took a train trip to Folkestone (one of Kent’s insalubrious resorts) and walked along the warren right up to samphire hoe, the harbour arm was heaving but we just kept walking along the coast, beaches were empty, sun was out. Just what we needed.
    Just before half term we had a week between Tenterden and Rye. Avoided both and didn’t bother with camber sands, spent time in winchelsea, pett level, rye harbour and visited some wineries down narrow country lanes and had the place more or less to ourselves, having grown up down there no locals would dare go to rye/camber in holiday season, leave that to the grockles sitting in their car for an hour to get 3 miles down the road.

I’m sure this goes for everywhere in the country, there’s a lovely place not far from the tourist hot-spots.

Saltburn by the Sea, just voted the best beach in England!!😎

Master
    Scottish Islands? orkneys, inner/outer Hebrides?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    See you there! Booked a 3 nights away mid July
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Plenty of room in Tipton.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    See you there! Booked a 3 nights away mid July
    We go once or twice a year for 10 days, relaxing, peaceful and a bit of fishing.

Northumberland...probably still tourists but I imagine not as many as Devon/Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Just accept the fact that 2020 & 2021 is going to be two years that we will all be glad to see the back of. So stay at home (one year won't kill you) and just do local day trips and eat out in local pubs. At least you will put some money into local businesses.
    Hola Mick, aren't you coming back to Spain this Autumn/ Winter...lovely time of year as the tourists will've departed AND it'll be sunny but not blistering hot...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Very difficult to get accommodation in these places and also a lot of ferries will be booked up already

We also recently booked a long weekend in Penzance for early July. Hotels and rooms ran out very quickly during the time that we booked, all the sleeper train cabins taken. Still managed to book a rental car very easily though.

I think it'll be difficult to find many places that won't be crowded even on weekdays. Scottish Highlands and the Hebrides have featured heavily on social media which means that there will be lots of tourists looking to visit.

Feels like you'd have to go the extra mile to find some peace and quiet. Maybe one of the more remote Scottish islands or even Jersey if you don't mind having to do a PCR when you arrive and spending 1 day inside.

The Island of Lundy isn't that far from Cornwall and even on it's busiest day(s), I can't really see it filling up that much.

We are currently at a place called Loose Reins at Shillingstone in Dorset. Very quiet and tranquil.

North West Scotland is absolutely mental busy, it’s like whacky races with people trying to overtake caravans / camper vans so not a pleasant experience, hopefully it will calm down when the European countries open up again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    The Island of Lundy isn't that far from Cornwall and even on it's busiest day(s), I can't really see it filling up that much.
    Spent a week there a while back. Not bad at all.
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 8th June 2021 at 14:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Hola Mick, aren't you coming back to Spain this Autumn/ Winter...lovely time of year as the tourists will've departed AND it'll be sunny but not blistering hot...
    I hope to return in around September but who knows what other variant will cause governments to impose restrictions. I am just waiting to see what happens. There is no way I want to suffer a 10 day isolation spell in some rubbish room in a cheap hotel, so until it all calms down, I am staying in the UK.

I hope to return in around September but who knows what other variant will cause governments to impose restrictions. I am just waiting to see what happens. There is no way I want to suffer a 10 day isolation spell in some rubbish room in a cheap hotel, so until it all calms down, I am staying in the UK.
    If I was going somewhere for 6 months it wouldn't sound as a big price to pay to swap a British winter for a Spanish one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I've often fancied it - never done it though.

Do the Broads get busy?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If I was going somewhere for 6 months it wouldn't sound as a big price to pay to swap a British winter for a Spanish one.
    We can only go back for 90 days. After that it is a 90 day break from being in any EU country before being allowed to return back in for another 90 days etc.

All thanks to Brexit of course.

We can only go back for 90 days. After that it is a 90 day break from being in any EU country before being allowed to return back in for another 90 days etc.

All thanks to Brexit of course.
    My mistake, sorry. But then you would take the chance of suffering the same on your return to the UK, without the possibility to avoid it (should Spain go from amber to red during your stay).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My mistake, sorry. But then you would take the chance of suffering the same on your return to the UK, without the possibility to avoid it (should Spain go from amber to red during your stay).
    Yes that is correct. I also have the added complication of Mrs Mick is still recovering from a stroke, so from now on we are playing it safe.

We just have to wait until nearly everyone in Europe has had their two jabs and even then it's fingers crossed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I can just about see Lundy from my kitchen window on a good day. My wife’s mum is off there next week for a week with a friend, which seems a long time to me. If the weather stays good it will be nice.

Somewhere on the Northumberland coast.

My mum lives up there and, as a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner, every time I venture up there it never fails to surprise me how beautifully unspoilt and empty the place is.

The almost deserted beaches knock Sandbanks out of the park.

And there’s parks where you can go from lakes, through forest to the dunes (nature reserve) and onto the beach all in the space of about a 20 minute walk.

Last edited by hhhh; 8th June 2021 at 15:11.

OP have you thought about the Isle of Sheppey? Nobody wants to go there…
    It’s so nice they built 3 prisons there.

On a serious note I think I will avoid the UK tourist hot spots this year. I don’t like people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Saltburn by the Sea, just voted the best beach in England!!
    A lovely flat stretch of sand. If you have any metalwork you need sandblasting just bring it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Somewhere on the Northumberland coast.

My mum lives up there and, as a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner, every time I venture up there it never fails to surprise me how beautifully unspoilt and empty the place is.

The almost deserted beaches knock Sandbanks out of the park.

And there’s parks where you can go from lakes, through forest to the dunes (nature reserve) and onto the beach all in the space of about a 20 minute walk.

Let me guess...Druridge Bay ? Very close to where I'm from..and heading back for a visit in 3 weeks..really can't wait

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Northumberland...probably still tourists but I imagine not as many as Devon/Cornwall.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I've often fancied it - never done it though.

Do the Broads get busy?

We have been going for years (since 1966) because its so slow and relaxing and if you keep away from the few little hot spots its can be very quiet.

Jaywick Sands if you like stepping out your comfort zone!

SydR
    I spent an enjoyable break away from it all in Inversnaid recently. You do need to like the outdoors if you plan to visit.

It’s at the end of a 15 mile long no through road.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    We have enough thank you. The cruise ships haven't arrived, but the TV series seems to have encourage many in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Let me guess...Druridge Bay ? Very close to where I'm from..and heading back for a visit in 3 weeks..really can't wait
    Had to check what it was called, and you are correct, it is indeed Druridge Bay Country Park.

My mum lives in Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Saltburn by the Sea, just voted the best beach in England!!
    Shh.... don't tell everyone.

You're right though, Saltburn's great.

The whole of the NE coast is good - I don't know this for a fact but if you worked out miles of coast per holiday bed I don't think you could beat the North East.