closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strela 3017 what to do

Strela 3017 what to do

Hi all
    I've decided to simplify my collection a bit, and will be selling a few watches in the coming months which overlap too much with others in the collection.

First dilemma relates to a Strela - I have both a 3133 which I bought new, plus a 3017 - both look very similar with similar black dial designs, and while I admire the 3017 for being the design original, I tend to wear the 3133 in preference.

For that reason I am set on selling the 3017, but the dilemma relates to the hands on the watch right now. When I bought the watch must be best part of 10 years ago, the previous owner had given it a service and had the paddle hands with what look like genuine Strela hands albeit not of the paddle design that should be on the watch. I thought it would be easy to source some second hand replacements, but it was a bit of a quest to say the least! I did eventually get a set of NOS hour, minute and second hands at not insubstantial cost, and subsequently secured a pair of subdial hands to match.

I was planning to have the hands changed next service, but having been wearing the watch for a day, it seems to keep excellent time. So what would you do if you were selling this watch, get it serviced and have the hands changed? Or sell it with the hands included for the next owner, obviously at the selling price less service cost?

Finally any suggestions who could do this sort of a job, and what sort of cost would it entail? In the past I would have trusted Steve Burrage to it, unfortunately I dont think he is taking business anymore.

A picture of the watch in question:
    http://www.robertfoskett.com/3017.jpg

Tough one really, the paddle hands are iconic to the 3017 Strela, if it were me, I would have the hands fitted and forgo the service then sell it like that, you probably wouldn't get the service cost on top of the normal sales price, or sell it as is and sell the hands separately.
    If wouldn't cost much to get the hands put on without a service I wouldn't have thought.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Sell as is with the hands and factor in the service cost. I think by the time you have it sent off and the hands changed the price would make it considerably less attractive to a buyer who may want to just wear it and enjoy it like it is for a few years before they bother with a service.

Thanks both, actually could it be cost effective to have just the hands replaced? Watch is running well and super accurate so will maybe give the service a miss. Any suggestions for someone willing to swap the hands at a reasonable price?