closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Opinions on the Alsta Nautoscaph “Jaws watch”?

  1. #1

    Opinions on the Alsta Nautoscaph “Jaws watch”?

    Looking for some ownership experience of the Jaws watch. I love the look and film association but the specs are a little unrepresentative of the price and it seems a little small.
    Am I being a little negative and its actually a great watch?

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,242
    It's a great looking watch especially on that retro style bracelet. However, it's the size that puts me off buying one. Anything under 40mm is a big no no for me, especially for a dive watch.

  3. #3
    I had one briefly but returned it.

    It was a chunky thing, looked great but I think the money would have been better in a comparably priced Seiko or similar.

    Bezel action etc wasn't great. Dial and hands were nice though.

  4. #4
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,347
    Just because watches feature in minor parts in films it doesn't make them the ideal choice.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    14,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Just because watches feature in minor parts in films it doesn't make them the ideal choice.
    Inclined to agree and nearly 700 quid for such a modest movement. There's also been a couple of comments that the bezel inserts don't line up, hmmm.

  6. #6
    Good lot of thoughts on this watch in the below linked thread. I do rather like the look of it, but similarly have reservations about the price for what you're getting.

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=Nautoscaph

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Inclined to agree and nearly 700 quid for such a modest movement. There's also been a couple of comments that the bezel inserts don't line up, hmmm.
    £700 for a watch fitted with a thirty quid movement lol, they are having a giraffe.

  8. #8
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    12,108
    I've not had one and, usually, I'd say the NH35 movement is a great budget movement regardless of price, but given there are a lot of excellent watches out there with the same movement for far less (and I'm talking Helm, Nodus, etc, not the Chinese cheapies), you have to figure they're asking a hell of a lot of money for the 'Jaws' connection.

    I wouldn't pay full price for it.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    2,701
    I bought one for just under £500 new in a sale a few months ago, and sold it on here for £450 to release needed cash. I think it's a great watch, and the size is spot on for the style and era it is recreating, it doesn'twear small either. I'd heartily recommend one, plus the Alsta after sales service is superb, but not at full price which is definitely a bit salty.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    £700 for a watch fitted with a thirty quid movement lol, they are having a giraffe.
    There is one with a Swiss movement in it for about double the price.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    2,894
    It’s a very nice watch but £500 is about it’s money, as David Dickinson might say…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    In Whitby at the moment and had a chance to handle the watch at the new shop Jura’s have opened.
    I was pleasantly surprised. It seems bigger than the 38mm specs would suggest and the metal strap suits it very nicely.
    If I go ahead I think I would order in a new, genuine Tropic strap to go with it (some of the watches are sold with this strap).

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    In Whitby at the moment and had a chance to handle the watch at the new shop Jura’s have opened.
    I was pleasantly surprised. It seems bigger than the 38mm specs would suggest and the metal strap suits it very nicely.
    If I go ahead I think I would order in a new, genuine Tropic strap to go with it (some of the watches are sold with this strap).
    Yes I bought the vintage bracelet for mine, and despite reviews I’ve read to the contrary, I think it suits the watch and it’s “period” very well actually….

  14. #14
    Master Timelord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    5,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Just because watches feature in minor parts in films it doesn't make them the ideal choice.
    Agreed. The original watch was a cheap generic type of 1970s diver that few would be interested in if it wasn’t for the Jaws connection. If Richard Dreyfuss had worn a quality 1970s diver like an Eterna Superkontiki, Certina DS-2/3 Super PH1000, Zodiac Super Seawolf etc, it would be a different matter IMO.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    Agreed. The original watch was a cheap generic type of 1970s diver that few would be interested in if it wasn’t for the Jaws connection. If Richard Dreyfuss had worn a quality 1970s diver like an Eterna Superkontiki, Certina DS-2/3 Super PH1000, Zodiac Super Seawolf etc, it would be a different matter IMO.
    Or a Seiko 6105, I think Jaws would have turned round and gone home.

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    68
    Funny, It happens that I have (re)watched the movie yesterday There is no real closeup but the watch is seen relatively quite often. I don’t know the wrist size of Richard Dreyfuss in the 70’s but the watch has a lot of presence for sure.
    Maybe it’s overpriced I don’t know I never had the opportunity to see one in real life but I think it is nice that at least it is possible to have one.
    Better than no option at all.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There is one with a Swiss movement in it for about double the price.
    That's even more of a bargain lol. So many watches out there that are better value, it's a personal choice though and some will no doubt be happy to pay the price. I personally see no reason why they could not fit a Swiss movement at the retail price of the one with the NH movement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information