closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Gold Thread

Master

White Gold Thread

After posting this in the Rolex thread, I thought I’d do a white gold thread and see if there’s many on the forum. I’d long considered a gold watch and was never quite sure of white. I was leaning towards a rose gold day date and then this came up. I’ve heard people say ‘if you know, you know’ and it’s true! The blue bezel is just the perfect amount.

Superb. Well done 👍

Master
    That’s awesome! Well done

Blog Entries
    I think that will complement your collection very nicely Sir! Well done 👍
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Can only dream of having one of these. Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Stunning
    This is on my shortlist for my fiftieth along with the WG DD40 and the Daytona on oysterflex.
    Hoping I can get to view one in the metal soon.

Craftsman
    Very nice that. I’ve been mulling one over myself and your photos are quite convincing (never seen one in the metal).

I really like Rolex’s white gold alloy. I have a wg DD40 and I am ‘on the list’ for a wg Daytona with meteorite dial. Your sub could make it a perfect hat trick if I can swing it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Very nice that. I’ve been mulling one over

I really like Rolex’s white gold alloy. I have a wg DD40 and I am ‘on the list’ for a wg Daytona with meteorite dial. Your sub could make it a perfect hat trick if I can swing it.
    Can I ask what colour dial you chose for the DD40
    I like the slate grey and black but have yet to actually see them

Master
    Thanks for the comments :-)

Let’s see some white gold watches.

I also considered a DD40 in wg and rg. When the meteorite dial came out I went to a Rolex evening at my AD and they had one there that I (or anyone else there I guess) could have had. How times have changed eh! That wasn’t that long ago either.

Very nice that. I’ve been mulling one over myself and your photos are quite convincing (never seen one in the metal).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    I went with this one.. (I love the grey dial with the vertical stripes but I just had to have the deconstructed Romans).

Master

White Gold Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post

This was my rhodium version, with stick markers. You need to tiptoe through the options to create good looks but also strong visibility.
    The President bracelet is a real treat, and silky to wear. Lovely.
    In some ways, if you like the ‘feel’ of rolex gold, this bracelet does the trick. There’s no,others quite like it.Yummy.

Ridiculous, but my only current white gold Rolex, uses the Oysterflex rubber strap, hardly such a delight, but practical,
    Speccing a DD40 is not so easy, stuff like the markers makes a huge difference. A lot of care is needed. To be honest, I wouldn’t do it again. Gone off the appearance of the DD. Bit too ‘grand’ for most daily wear. But your mileage may vary.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th June 2021 at 17:11.

Craftsman
    I went with this one.. (I love the grey dial with the vertical stripes but I just had to have the deconstructed Romans).

Wow 🤩
    Now that’s what I call a sunburst dial!
    Love those deconstructed Romans
    Thanks

Master

My one
    The white gold day dates are stunning in this thread.
    On list for another couple of white gold models but not sure when they will appear though

Definitely the best oysterfex model that, IMO, I dithered when offered one as I wasn’t convinced about parting with SS model.

Master
    Owned this and sold last year - nice heft to it

That Sub is the dog's.

I can't remember for sure, but I think this is the only white gold watch I've owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That Sub is the dog's.
    It really is Tony and imagine how good it would look if you’d taken the photos instead of me and my poor shots :-)

I’m really taken by this, never thought WG would be my thing.

That Moser looks lovely too.

Before I bought it almost 5 years ago, this one had a few previous owners on TZ-UK.

Great thread. My input

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Definitely the best oysterfex model that, IMO, I dithered when offered one as I wasn’t convinced about parting with SS model.
    Eclipsed now by the meteorite dial on oysterflex though I’ve still to see one in the flesh

Master
    My submission: white gold AP 11.59.

I love the surprising extra weight of white gold, but it seems to pick up minor marks and scratches very easily.

Simon

Had these two but only the Sub remains, I do love the ‘you have to know to know’ of white gold....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    After posting this in the Rolex thread, I thought I’d do a white gold thread and see if there’s many on the forum. I’d long considered a gold watch and was never quite sure of white. I was leaning towards a rose gold day date and then this came up. I’ve heard people say ‘if you know, you know’ and it’s true! The blue bezel is just the perfect amount.

Wow this looks stunning. The thing I like about white gold is how stealthy it can be. Almost a “if you know you know” kind of watch. I really like how the blue looks in the sun. So much more subtle with the black dial.

Journeyman
    I sold this to a friend a while a go and waiting for borders to properly open so I can go and buy this back.

And my current favorite watch.

White Gold Thread

Some lovely watches on here, here’s my contribution. Most of these Jaeger LeCoultre Duomètre Unique Traveltime watches have been made in rose gold, but this is one of the limited edition first hundred originally offered through the JLC boutique in Place Vendôme.

I love the rose gold ones but white gold takes this to the next level for me. Also, the case is not rhodium plated but some of the hands are, in a way that makes them a darker grey gold which looks perfect against the dial.

I like the comment earlier about having to know it’s white gold. In this case only the LE has the 7 and 9 on the timezone indicator coloured red, reflecting the address of the boutique in Place Vendôme. Probably only someone who recognised the white gold version would know that.
    Last edited by alfat33; 6th June 2021 at 21:15.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

Some lovely watches on here, here’s my contribution. Most of these Jaeger LeCoultre Duomètre Unique Traveltime watches have been made in rose gold, but this is one of the limited edition first hundred originally offered through the JLC boutique in Place Vendôme.

I love the rose gold ones but white gold takes this to the next level for me. Also, the case is not rhodium plated but some of the hands are, in a way that makes them a darker grey gold which looks perfect against the dial.

I like the comment earlier about having to know it’s white gold. In this case only the LE has the 7 and 9 on the timezone indicator coloured red, reflecting the address of the boutique in Place Vendôme. Probably only someone who recognised the white gold version would know that.
    Very special - JLC makes some amazing pieces - I love the globe on that. Many thanks for sharing it.

Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Great thread. My input
    That's the ticket. You seem to wear it quite a bit - how's it holding up to frequent/daily wear?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That's the ticket. You seem to wear it quite a bit - how's it holding up to frequent/daily wear?

I honestly dont wear it as much as I should, I sometimes feel I should wear it more however I dont want to take that special feeling away when I have it on. Takes my breath away everytime I do wear it.

I honestly dont wear it as much as I should, I sometimes feel I should wear it more however I dont want to take that special feeling away when I have it on. Takes my breath away everytime I do wear it.
    I used to feel the same about my BLNR which was the first expensive watch I ever bought. Part of my thinks the hunt for a YM42 is to give me the same feeling again and take my breath away each time I wear it too.

Master
    I seem to take the opposite view, just wear the watch every day as perfectly normal. The deliberate ‘ordinary’ look of the YM42 is part of the appeal, the ceramic bezel is tough, the rubber strap very resilient, you give it a routine wash, life goes on. Gold does get marked, but then a seagull regularly dumps on my new car.......

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I seem to take the opposite view, just wear the watch every day as perfectly normal. The deliberate ‘ordinary’ look of the YM42 is part of the appeal, the ceramic bezel is tough, the rubber strap very resilient, you give it a routine wash, life goes on. Gold does get marked, but then a seagull regularly dumps on my new car.......
    This.

I manage a glorified skip yard and wear my blue Sub’ every day, I’ve been hit the bracelet with a hammer (accidentally!) and for me it’s wearing it every day that makes it special.

It’s a bit like Clarkson once said about driving a Mercedes, you can have a crappy day at work but you get behind the wheel, see the three pointed star on the bonnet and realise that maybe life isn’t so bad after all.

Having said that I still keep my DD40 for weekends but that’s more due to the RG being a bit too bling for work.

Great thread Stephen, as Martyn said it compliments your other pieces nicely.

Some lovely looking watches, but I was drawn to both the AP and JLC.

Great thread. My input

That is a stunning image of this beauty- better than any promotional pics by Rolex or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Very special - JLC makes some amazing pieces - I love the globe on that. Many thanks for sharing it.

Martyn.
    Thanks Martyn. You show some lovely watches on the forum so I appreciate your comments. I love the globe too, and it is actually very functional with the day/night indicator and the timezone setting.

Master
    I have two: one sporty and one slightly dressy…

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I have two: one sporty and one slightly dressy…

LOVING that Patek mate but the gap between the watch-case and strap rrrrrrrreally irks me, especially on such a quality piece: it's a £??k watch, why can't they put a sodding curved end strap on it????

Master
    I would prefer a gap, easier to keep clean.

Master
    My WG JLC Reverso Duo. As noted above by Alfat33, JLC use a high Palladium content Gold alloy meaning the metal is truly white all the way through without any need for Rhodium which being a surface coating can wear through. There is something like 15% Pd along with the 75% Au. Other high end makers doubtless do the same but this is rather different to how cheap high street WG jewellery is made which is usually a yellow white gold-silver alloy with thin Rh plate on top.

This looks superficially very like the steel cased version but put side by side there is a subtle difference in the lustre of the metal.

Last edited by Padders; 7th June 2021 at 10:43.

White Gold Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    My WG JLC Reverso Duo.
    That’s beautiful, maybe the nicest Reverso I’ve seen. The numerals on the ‘dark’ dial look quite familiar...

Craftsman
    That Sub is the dog's.

I can't remember for sure, but I think this is the only white gold watch I've owned.

I think you had a WG Zenith Daytona on a croc leather. If my memory serves me, I wish I bought it when you listed it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I think you had a WG Zenith Daytona on a croc leather. If my memory serves me, I wish I bought it when you listed it.

Oh god, so I did. Great memory - I bloody loved that watch!

Last edited by learningtofly; 7th June 2021 at 23:12.

Craftsman

I think it sold for about £10k, what's it worth now!?
    I really wished I was in a position to buy it then, one of my few watch regrets that was.

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I think it sold for about £10k, what's it worth now!?
    I really wished I was in a position to buy it then, one of my few watch regrets that was.

I actually traded it for my lovely 5513 plus cash. It was one of my biggest regrets too, and in fact I subsequently traced it to a dealer in Germany with a view to buying it back. However, it was in substantially worse condition and he was asking about double what I let it go for!

Master
    MyGirard-Perregaux ‘Vintage 1945’ – ‘Ref 2850’ & ‘OG N 147’

Craftsman

Ah not a Zenith, see my memory isn't that good after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    MyGirard-Perregaux ‘Vintage 1945’ – ‘Ref 2850’ & ‘OG N 147’

Sublime watches. I used to have the rose gold version of that.

Now got this one in white gold…

Love this one. Discreet with that warm glow that only white gold gives and shows that there is so much more to AP than the Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Love this one. Discreet with that warm glow that only white gold gives and shows that there is so much more to AP than the Royal Oak.

I almost bought that exact model when I was in Boston a few years back. It was a stunner. It was only the poor exchange rate that stopped me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Sublime watches. I used to have the rose gold version of that.

Now got this one in white gold…

The white gold adds to its impact and elegance.