closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Personal breakdown insurance

Master

Personal breakdown insurance

Chaps,

I have been with Lexus for 30 years or so and they insure the person rather than the vehicle for breakdown cover.

I have just moved away from Lexus but I atill want the personal rather than the vehicle breakdown cover .

Are there any of you out there in the UK with stories to tell (good or bad) or pitfalls to watch out for with companies that do this in the UK ?

Or do I just go with the AA or the RAC ?

Your inputs would be appreciated.

TIA

Brian

Journeyman
    GEM motoring assist have been very good for me in the past. Faultless service.

I've got personal for me and the Mrs for £92 through my home insurance (Aviva) breakdown is from RAC.
    It's crept up each year but when I first went with them it was half the price of the same cover I had with AA.

Master
    I’ve got it through my bank account. TSB Premier.

Craftsman
    Ive also got it through my bank account, its provided by RAC and it covers the person. Its on my joint account so my wife also gets the cover too without having to pay twice. In addition to that we both get phone insurance and travel insurance (albeit thats less useful at the mo!) so works out very good value with both of us using it. So def check what your bank offers as most do similar products.

Master

RAC never again

I recently had to call out the RAC for the first time in 20+ years. Flat battery with the kids in the car. Initially advised would be up to 90mins as they were busy. Several phone calls, excuses and four hours later they eventually sent a contractor out to jump start my car. I'd just given up and ordered an Uber as well so cost me 4quid to cancel that. Made a complaint but might as well not have bothered. Now cancelled and gone with green flag after checking reviews on auto express.

I know this could happen with any provider but after being let down like that they will never get another penny of mine

Blog Entries
    Through BS - Nationwide Plus - pay approx 15pm but get travel / phone / car breakdown. - mainly got it for the travel insurance as cheaper than others around.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

AA for me. They’ve been good as good for the last ca. 20 years. Just cancel and then renew every year!

AutoAid for me.
    I discovered them through Money Saving Expert after being with Britannia Rescue for years.
    AutoAid cost £59 per year and cover me for any car that I drive. They also cover the missus for free.
    I've had to call them out a few times, and they've been great: https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Master
    Thanks to all for the info. much appreciated.

I never realised the banks did it - I will look into our bank.Thanks.

B

i alternate between the RAC and the AA from year to year as they just put the prices up on the auto renew to try and jack the cost up- there is no customer loyalty for anything anymore so its better to just alternate between a couple of the 'big' ones (RAC /AA/Green flag etc ) each year.

Autoaid or Start Rescue for me. I have had to use them both in anger and they have both done what they say on the tin.

Reconsider the RAC. I was involved in a non fault accident last week and used their app to book recovery. Three hours later, I received a call from a patrol advising they were on the way...

Journeyman
    Emergency Assist here for 2 cars = £70 including insurance excess protection (which covers your insurance excess up to £500 meaning you can probably get your insurance premium down by increasing your excess). I've never had to use it, but like other policies, it usually cheaper not to renew, but to start afresh using a discount code/Quidco/TCB