closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This could be an expensive mistake.. VC question

Blog Entries

This could be an expensive mistake.. VC question

Got home a bit tired last night. Decided to change watches to my VC 4500. All wound set the time - started to change the date and then my heart missed a beat. The darn thing was set at 11:00pm - well into “the danger zone”. Gingerly disengaged the date and wound the hands past midnight - the date still changed with a snap at midnight. Only difference I can now see is that maybe 20mins before midnight the date window starts to move, with the final snap over to the correct date at midnight.

Favour: can other 4500v owners please wind yours through midnight so see how the date changes? Does it shift slightly before midnight then snap over?

Usually I double check and even then set only at 7 - just in case. No idea why I didn’t this time. Maybe it was the 3h queue in Portugal to get home.

Martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th June 2021 at 14:41.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I was concerned you'd sold a Rolex, thankfully not. Can't help on the Overseas.

Blog Entries
    Calling any VC owners or watch makers?

Craftsman
    Martyn, I have WhatsApp messaged a VC retailer I know. I’ll let you know if he responds with any info. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Martyn. I have just spoken to my contact. He doesn’t have a 4500 in stock to physically try, but he is confident that the date starts to move ahead of midnight and then snaps on the strike of 12. He will aim to call another boutique and get the answer but is almost certain. Hope this allays your fear. I have been down this “danger zone” road before and I feel your pain. Cheers.

Craftsman
    Interestingly I was going to put my name down for one at Christmas and then hesitated. Back then it was a 6 month wait for a blue dial version. He’s just told me I’ll be waiting 2.5 years if I want one now!!

As per the above, I would assume that it’s perfectly normal. Fingers crossed you get some peace of mind with confirmation, but personally it wouldn’t bother me and sound right.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the encouragement all round. I know some others are owners on the forum. (I guess I got lucky. Got mine second hand still in warranty at a discount - win some lose some).

Master
    Happy to check on my gen 2 when I get home this evening but not sure if that would be the same?

Craftsman
    Hi Martyn,

Just ran it a couple of times through the date change, it shifts slightly going through 11 o’clock before clicking over.

Panic over!

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    They definitely start to shift a bit from around 11 until snapping over at midnight, don’t think you need to worry.

Blog Entries
    Yeh! G&Ts all round!

Craftsman
    If it still changes over fine then I would assume you're good.

I made that mistake with a vintage Omega Seamaster, I wasn't even trying to set the date but the crown hadn't disengaged as I was winding the crown back in and the date wheel jumped half a position and never moved again. Heart sank as it was the first day of ownership.

Luckily the watchmaker was able to confirm the stem was cut too short so I was able to get the servicing covered by the dealer.