closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you have a core to your collection?

Master

Do you have a core to your collection?

Do you have a certain number of watches in your collection that you could never sell or trade? Might be a special gift, an heirloom or something you bought for a special occasion? Or maybe something that you intend to keep forever as others get sold or traded?

Me, I have my Sub which was for a significant birthday, my Sinn 144 gifted to me on another big birthday and another couple of Sinn which my boys will have when they turn 18.

How about you?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a core that seem to stay in rotation regardless - prob about 12.

Another 7 I really like on top of that and usually 2 that would be best categorized as the weaker wildebeest at the back of the herd.

At some point the tier 2 watches (7) will be culled, but for now they are safe

Master
    Well, you might feel that the real issue is the notion of a ‘core’ or ‘collection’. Do you need more than one fine watch ? When I joined TZ, years ago , I was taken-aback by the wide spread idea that guys needed a collection of watches . Like most people, I gradually built up a range ....now I’ve got rid of most. Feels better with no ‘collection.’ Simplicity is somehow calming.
    My fantasy is to just own a Lange 1815 ‘up/down’. But it’s expensive and I lack the courage.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th June 2021 at 12:10.

Master
    Yes, my 16750 (bought new in July 1986) and my MkXII (bought in 1998). To be fair most of my watches fall into the "highly unlikely to sell" category, but for those two it would be unthinkable.

I have 2 that I'd never sell. My late father's Longines, for obvious sentimental reasons, and my Explorer 1. Everything else can come and go

My collection is split into core, diversification sports, Seiko and dressy.

The core are 16610, 16570, Hesalite Speedy Pro and a mid 1950s IWC Cal 89 that was my wedding watch. I don’t like the Speedy that much, but it seems unacceptable for a WIS to sell it.

The great majority of the collection is very unlikely to be sold, and for wearing pleasure it seems to be the diversification sports group.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of these are in the 'core' and won't be moved on. Everything else is fair game

20210309_140221 1 by ataripower, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Would have to be my TT blue Sub. My first Rolex, bought in 1998.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    All of these are in the 'core' and won't be moved on. Everything else is fair game

20210309_140221 1 by ataripower, on Flickr
    Stunning and a collection I would dream about, I doff my cap.

Blog Entries
    core
    PP 5146J - (2006 one owner - me - complete set - from my Mums inheritance)
    Rolex Air-King-Date (vintage 1978 - one owner - my Dads)
    Rolex 126655 YM RG40 - (one owner - me - just because)
    VC 4500V third edition (2019) blue dial

others - fair game - two are already exiting.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Probably, although today's core is tomorrow's margins.

I'd say my Bretiling Cosmonaute, Sinn Arktis and my gold Jaquet Droz (a 21st present from my parents) are nailed down, unless I really needed the money.

My Breil Manta chrono is definitely one I wouldn't part with in a hurry, either.

Everything else is 'current'

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Core would be the 16570 'Polar' and Type XX Aeronavale

I have watches that I retain for sentimental reasons, but they don't feel like the core of a collection, too random and not the sorts of things I'd buy for myself. The collection's real core are hardened-steel 'tool watches' - especially the Damaskos and Sinns.

The Sinn U1 will probably be swapped for a U1 B at some point, but the Damaskos won't be going anywhere, especially as a couple were made to order. I'll certainly be adding to this collection - there's a couple of Sinns on my wishlist (UX and 756), I'd like an Archimede Outdoor Protect chronograph, Dekla Turbulenz, Subdelta Ace, Hanhart Racemaster, something from Traska, and possibly even something from Bremont longer-term...

I'd also like to expand out to try some composite cased watches like Breitling's Endurance Pro, Formex Essence Leggera, or Victorinox I.N.O.X. Carbon. Likewise I'd like to try a ceramic cased watch sometime (probably Longines Hydroconquest, though I'd love a Blancpain Bathyscaphe 'Mokkaran' if I win the lottery that I never enter...). All of those are well overpriced new, and cash will need to be raised selling some items (Sinn 140 A is looking over its shoulder...), so it's a waiting game, which is no bad thing...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Well, you might feel that the real issue is the notion of a ‘core’ or ‘collection’. Do you need more than one fine watch ? When I joined TZ, years ago , I was taken-aback by the wide spread idea that guys needed a collection of watches . Like most people, I gradually built up a range ....now I’ve got rid of most. Feels better with no ‘collection.’ Simplicity is somehow calming.
    My fantasy is to just own a Lange 1815 ‘up/down’. But it’s expensive and I lack the courage.
    Would tend to agree. For me two (maybe two plus a workout/gardening/50 quid beater) seems enough - one for the office and one for the weekend. But I’d get bored and buy another of each of those. I’ve already got the start of a couple of ‘tiers’ - where I’ve replaced an ‘office watch’ for another nicer ‘office watch’. I expect I’ll give the earlier one away (probably not worth enough to bother selling).
    But... there are a couple, even low value ones, which I got as gifts or which mean something and won’t be given away even if they don’t end up being worn much.

Do you have a core to your collection?

I think so. As it stands at the moment I have 3 watches that feel like the core of my collection, plus one that I will never sell for sentimental reasons.

The 3 are:

* Rolex 116660 DSSD
    * Breitling Navitimer World
    * Offshore Professional Field Engineer

These are my best watches in black dial, blue dial and white(ish) dial respectively. Unless I’m totally strapped for cash I don’t see myself ever selling them (the only exception to that is if I could upgrade the DSSD to a James Cameron, although I don’t see that ever happening).

If I was to sell all the rest, those three would work for me as a capsule 3-watch collection - aided by the fact that the Offshore Professional is an absolute strap hound.

In addition I own the Omega Geneve Dynamic that my parents gave me for my 18th birthday, and which Paul Walker of this forum refurbished for me. That’s not going anywhere, particularly since I lost my mother to COVID earlier this year.

Simon

Two watches in my 'core' that won't go. Both for sentimental reasons. One was my first pricey watch, bought for a career milestone in 2019, and since worn for many memorable occasions. The second was bought the week of my wedding in Sept last year and of course worn on the big day.

Everything else comes and go, and I rarely have many at once.

(I have my first ever watch also, which I received for my 8th birthday, but I don't count that as it's far too small for me to actually wear!)

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Stunning and a collection I would dream about, I doff my cap.

Thank you sir.

Sent from my SM-T875 using Tapatalk

for sure there are few that I intend to keep while I still have few dozen of low end Seiko that I can't get rid of...

GS SD diver, GP Seahawk, Omega Plopro, Breitling Seawolf, Aquadive 3000M, NOS ExpII white, Ananta SD chrono.

Master
    My two blue Tudor subs would be the last to go. I bought them to wear and pass on to my sons but with the increase in values I think it's unlikely they'd want to wear them. Everything else could go for the right reason but there's probably a core of 5 that I'd think three times about selling.

Craftsman
    Smiths watches are at the core of my small collection. I would consider selling one or two, but not the W10 or A 453. I've noticed a change in my collecting habits. From Smiths only and JLC, 1948, to more modern Sinn, Jungens Max Bill, Muhle Glashutte, and Stowa. Once thought I wouldn't have a black dial, now I do. Once thought I wouldn't have an automatic, now I do. Didn't like gold, now......., didn't want date complication, now..... Still don't want a day complication or a bracelet. I've also noticed my left arm disappears behind my hip or moves to my stomach when I'm walking through doorways.

It’s changed for me over the years. When I first started collecting I was solely interested in US A11 and A17 watches from WW2 and Korea, then Sinn watches popped up on my horizon, now it’s watches meeting Def Stan 66-4. I think the latter is here to say though much to my wallets dismay.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad wears my 14060 most of the time so thats default core as I wouldn't take it back off him.
    SD and Barakuda are also core as I havent considered selling them.
    Everything else ive got ive thought about trading or selling at some point even if I havent committed the act.