closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk me out of buying a Jaguar XK.

Master

Talk me out of buying a Jaguar XK.

I’ve just bought a sensible family car, thank you Volvo, and am looking for something that is a bit more fun. I,be always loved the looks of the XK8 but the newer XK seems a more sensible choice. I’m looking for a GT rather than something more sporty. What is it like to run in the real world. I’ve read contradictory information saying the car is both reasonable and very expensive to run. Any tips and real world experience appreciated.

Jeremy Clarkson likes "Jaaags" don't be like Jeremy.

Hope that helps.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I’ve just bought a sensible family car, thank you Volvo, and am looking for something that is a bit more fun. I,be always loved the looks of the XK8 but the newer XK seems a more sensible choice. I’m looking for a GT rather than something more sporty. What is it like to run in the real world. I’ve read contradictory information saying the car is both reasonable and very expensive to run. Any tips and real world experience appreciated.
    The only thing I'd say, which is sensible advice for any car but particularly for the XK is drive one. Not being a current car for sale it's hard to get an extended drive but the longer the better. I found the driving position impossible - the ergonomics are really compromised and space is amazingly limited for such a large car.I was working on a projct at JLR and had access to one I virtually never drove. I had a base 911 at the time and the XK was not comparable in any way for me despite being a direct price competitor.

Master
    If it wasn't made by William Lyons, it's not a "proper" Jaguar! Buy a proper one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My only real world experience is being advised by my local garage mechanic not to buy a jaguar because 'they all suffer from rust which you can't see because it's hidden behind plastic panels". Am sure that's a generalisation but it was enough to quash my desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    My only real world experience is being advised by my local garage mechanic not to buy a jaguar because 'they all suffer from rust which you can't see because it's hidden behind plastic panels".
    On an all-aluminium unibody car such as the XK?

OP: go and have a good test drive.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I had an older XK8 and will have another or XK when I retire in a couple of years. The dog's doo-dahs for wafting about in.

Master
    I mildly looked into the possibility of one (the convertible version) and came to the following conclusions.
    1) Reliability was suspect - some had good ones some had bore liner, gearbox and electrical issues. Coolant system is knife edge too apparently as it's low volume so a leak can kill an engine quickly.
    2) Interior space was laughable for the size of the car.
    3) Interior aesthetics are from a bygone era. If you like the 'plank of wood nailed to the bulkhead with holes drilled for switches and dials' aesthetic then you'll love it. Personally, not so much.
    4) Exterior has just got better with age - it looks amazing.
    5) More amazing that an XJS though? Which can be had for similar ballpark money.
    6) It's a Jaaaaaaag - there's an owner stereotype. If that's what you're after nothing else will do.

In the end I felt the pro's didn't outweigh the cons and moved on to something else (an e-class convertible, which is brilliant so far) but it's a choice you have to make yourself.

https://youtu.be/ujqpjEI9pso

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    https://youtu.be/ujqpjEI9pso

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    That's the previous model to the one the OP's considering of course.
    As is the '1) Reliability was suspect - some had good ones some had bore liner, gearbox and electrical issues. Coolant system is knife edge too apparently as it's low volume so a leak can kill an engine quickly.'

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 4th June 2021 at 22:47.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I actually prefer the looks of the older XK8 but I was put of by known issues with rusting. The XK being aluminium doesn’t have the same problem. Thanks all for the suggestions and information. I need to organise a long test drive.

Master
    The first generation cars are now at least 15 years old. I suggest that paying the right money for a good car is a sound bet. Won’t be many/any left with Nikasil issues and the plastic cam tensioner on pre-2001 model cars can be changed if not already done.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    The first generation cars are now at least 15 years old. I suggest that paying the right money for a good car is a sound bet. Won’t be many/any left with Nikasil issues and the plastic cam tensioner on pre-2001 model cars can be changed if not already done.
    Did you buy it eventually? :)
    Last edited by Owren; 2nd November 2021 at 22:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to own an S Type R with the 4.2SCV8. LOVED IT!

Fuel consumption is alarming though, even compared to stuff like M3s or Porsche’s.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I used to own an S Type R with the 4.2SCV8. LOVED IT!

Fuel consumption is alarming though, even compared to stuff like M3s or Porsche’s.

I also had one of those back when they were new - I loved it too. Tons of power, fabulous supercharger whine, hugely comfortable and actually handled very well for such a large car.

But as you said, it did like the juice!

ETA - just realised it was nearly twenty years ago... incredible.
    So clever my foot fell off.