closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Going back to previously owned watches

Going back to previously owned watches

There have been a few watches over the years I've flipped and re-bought, some multiple times! The main one that springs to mind is the Speedmaster Moonwatch...I think I had 4 of these. I've then gone on to flip through a few variations such as Speedmaster 1957 and now have a MkII re-issue.

Other watches I've done this with are Eddie's Speedbird 3 and Longines Conquest (although the Longines were different dial colours, sizes and a chrono version).

I've also been through 3 Tudor Black Bays...an ETA version, an in-house version and a GMT. I am now considering going back for another Black Bay and either going for another GMT or a 58. I previously sold my GMT for no other reason than liquidating my collection a bit. I'm now trying to analyse whether I'm considering the GMT only because of nostalgia or whether it should have been a keeper!

Anyone else flip and re-buy the same watch or face the same dilemma? Is it ever worth going back and re-buying the same model?

Master
    The dear old Speedmaster could be the cup holder in the sense of multiple ownership. I’ve had three, and counting.....also three Daytona’s. To wear, I seem to prefer the speedy. Odd, but there you are. I’m contemplating a fourth, updated, Speedy. NATO, or bracelet. Usual dilemma.

Master
    I think I'm now on my 9th Datejust and 2nd Omega Aquaterra. Had 3 Omega Constellations. Had 3 identical (at the same time) Tag S/EL with different dial colours.

I've only ever done this with the GW-5000-1JF when I bought a spare, sold it to buy something else, bought another spare and so on. It's madness, as unlike Christian's Speedy, the only variation was newness. I think what prompted this strange behaviour, was either a rumour of or a real but brief period of discontinuance.

Craftsman
    I’ve had 2 of Eddie’s lovely Precista PRS-82s, and I’m considering buying a third. The first one stuck around a lot longer than the second, so I’m still trying to justify it. Such a simple, well made, no nonsense watch. Oh god, I’m getting the itch again...

This is my 4th one of these…

I'm really not a 'flipper'.

The vast majority of watches I have bought, I still have (over 50 currently).

Sometimes a watch doesn't grab me and I sell it on, but the only model of watch I've sold and rebought is a Longines Ultronic.

I had a lovely silver example, perfect in every way, which broke in some way (I forget the issue now) and I had repaired, but someone nagged me to sell it to them so I did and I immediately regretted it.

He resold it quite soon after, but I didn't have the money available at the time, so I couldn't buy it back and I felt it would be a rather redundant thing to do - I'd owned it and sold it.

Some years later I picked up a nice, but not perfect, blue dialed one for less money than I'd sold the silver one for.

It's a nice example which keeps (like most hummers) good time, but the date mechanism isn't reliable and, unusually for me, I think I preferred the silver dial.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd June 2021 at 10:51.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Think I have owned six or seven Sinn U1’s. Love them but after the initial honeymoon period, I remember the reason for selling........just too big for my slender wrists. Perhaps the U50 will be the solution.

In addition to the U1, Tag Super Professionals x 6. Think I like the idea of having one in the collection rather than wearing and usually sell them to fund other pieces. Acquired my last one in 2016 and have kept this one purely down to condition. Not sure I could replace it like for like without paying a premium even though it gets little wrist time.

There have been others, but a funny one recently has been the MM300. Owned one back in 2015 and sold it quite quickly for one reason or another. Probably had my head turned by something else. Purchased for the second time a few months ago and I’ve took a real shine to it, so much so I’ve added two (different variations). Perhaps it’s coincided with an appreciation of divers or Seiko as a brand, but I certainly won’t be as dismissive in revisiting a previously departed watch as I once was.

Blog Entries
    Omega X33 for me. I think I’m on my forth now - will try not to sell this one!

Rolex Hulk - sold one at xxx not so long ago, bought another at not quite double last year (you can fill in the numbers!).

Omega PO Chrono - had a couple iterations of that.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, fairly frequently and its only ever Rolex that I re-buy. I think its because they're great, but un-interesting after a while.
    The only one thats constant is a V 14060m since 2014 when I bought it nos stickered.
    Im on SD number 5 which I'm keeping as its also nos.

3 5513's
    7 GMT's 1675x1 16710x3 16760x1 116710x3 (LN and BLNRx2)
    16610 x3
    116610 x2
    126570 x2 B/W
    Milgauss x3
    16570 x2 both white
    Datejusts - 1x41, 3x36
    Deepsea x 2 (LN/Cameron)

Experience teaches that I love the look of Pepsi GMTs but find them too small, and the only other id buy back again is the Cameron, but in the 126660 reference.

Grand Master
    As a rule I never buy a watch for a second time, I think long and hard before selling a watch and it’s very rare for me to regret selling. However, all rules have exceptions, I sold a superb blue- dialled 36mm Aqua Terra and subsequently tried to buy it back (unsuccessfully), I still regret selling this one. I sold an early 70s C case Omega Constellation during a phase of rationalising the collection, a few years later I worked on a couple and decided I needed to own one again, I was lucky to snap up a really nice one on SC and I won’t be selling again.

An odd one was the 1960s gold- filled Omega Seamaster Deville I sold 10 years ago, although it was a nice example it wasn’t what I term ‘collectors grade’ so I sold it with a view to getting a solid gold one, there seemed to be plenty around until I tried to buy one! Despite being prepared to pay strong money I spent 4 years looking for a good example, ironically a bargain from ebay which turned out to be near-mint.

In general I find it a mistake to look back and make a repeat purchase of anything, its rarely as satisfying as the first time. This applies to holidays and cars, been there and done that, its usually a disappointment.

I don't think I have ever re-bought something I have had previously.

I think if I had I'd remember why I sold it in the first place!

Also with the ever increasing value of watches, selling and then rebuying is surely a financial loss maker?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Also with the ever increasing value of watches, selling and then rebuying is surely a financial loss maker?
    Great point. There are plenty of watches I would have revisited but refuse purely on this basis. Several Heuer Autavias, Rolex 16800 to name a few. Accept the value would be retained in these examples to a degree if buying now and potentially selling down the line, but I have a mental block at the thought of spending several thousands more to reacquire a piece I previously owned for a fraction of the current price.

Craftsman
    Out of all the watches I’ve sold over the years I’ve only regretted one. My CWC SBS. Bought one in 2013 and had it a couple of years before selling it for about £250. I sold it because at the time I was starting to get ‘into’ watches and didn’t think it was cool to have a quartz. I replaced it with a Sinn U1 (also long since gone). After a while I realised that a quartz daily wearer suited me much better and my wife bought me a CWC RN diver as an anniversary present. I still missed the SBS and even though I have the RN Diver I bought a new MK2 SBS last month and have to say I’m over the moon to have one back on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many to mention, but I think my PB is the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Red Mark 1. At the last count I think I've had 11 of those. There are several watches that I have had 4 or 5 times and watches that I have owned different versions of the same watch, the Submariner springs to mind: 5512, 16800, 14060m in both 4 and 2 line variants. Same with the Daytona, about 5 different ones of those. Lost count of the number of Speedmasters which includes several limited editions like 35th anniversary Apollo 11 panda, 2 x Silver Snoopy, Speedy Tuesday, a bog standard tritium and of course an Ed White.

I don't attempt to analyse it, it is what it is

I am on my 5th Blancpain Fifty Fathoms! I sell them thinking there is something better out there and then realise for pre owned money there isn't much better!!!

Master
    I’ve only done it once, when I foolishly let go of my 37mm black GS quartz to get another GS. I immediately realised I’d just sold my most comfortable watch, the one I reach for after a hard day’s work or a long journey, and immediately missed it. Thank goodness the buyer couldn’t find a good fit on the bracelet, and I had the chance to buy it straight back. As a bonus, when re-adjusting the bracelet I ended up with a better fit than I had before, so I guess it was worth it!

Guilty as, had 5 Seadwellers over the years - now have none and have moved onto other brands. Easy to get into the whole loop again and agin but sometimes it is just best to draw a line under it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Great point. There are plenty of watches I would have revisited but refuse purely on this basis. Several Heuer Autavias, Rolex 16800 to name a few. Accept the value would be retained in these examples to a degree if buying now and potentially selling down the line, but I have a mental block at the thought of spending several thousands more to reacquire a piece I previously owned for a fraction of the current price.
    This rings true for me too...I'd love revisit my 5-digit GMT Master-II that I sold for £1800 in 2006 but I'm not willing to spend £10,000 on my second!

Thanks for the opinons, glad it's not just me!

The main reason I end up rebuying is I find myself seeing old photos of me with a particular watch and it reminds me of those times. Probably not the best reason to go back to a watch. Maybe we should treat a watch like an ex...never go back!

2x

Hamilton GMT Conservation model
    Seiko Turtle
    Speedmaster 3572

3x
    Oris 65 (twice it was exact watch - sold to friend and bought back and third time different one)

Yes - 3 Tutima and 4 Damaskos: but no others I can think of.

Does nine MM300s count?

I guess I've had a few Speedies too. A few Daytonas as well. In fact, the more I think about it...

5 X Pelagos

It's sad really

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Eddie’s Air Ministry for me - such a great watch and I sold it because I was convinced it wasn’t versatile enough. I wore it on a leather strap and once it was sold I was putting it on the black nato it comes with to parcel it up and realised I was wrong…
    Thankfully someone responded to my WTB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’ve owned goodness knows how many SMPs over the years. I’m on my second 2541.80, I’ve had a handful of the 2531.80s, a few of the black dialled ‘Peter Blake’ equivalents and a few of the chronographs. I’ve also owned two Planet Oceans.

I was fickle then and trying to experience as much of what I liked as I could. It was fun and I wore some lovely watches.

I’ve worn a Submariner for absolutely years (I’m on my third). So would I go back now?

For some.... yes. I had a 2594.50.00 and I’d love to have another. I’d also like to have another 2nd gen Planet Ocean.

I also sold a Breitling Colt Auto over twenty years ago that I hugely regret. I wouldn’t so much like another and like to track down the original. Pie in the sky or what?!

So I suppose my tastes haven’t moved on that much and why I liked before I still like now. I think money kept me from having a multi watch collection. That is t the same problem it was, so I can see myself buying a few watches in the coming bonus seasons.

I have never done this to date.
    Once sold I don’t tend to miss them but it does take me years to decide what to sell.
    I do have a problem with buying multiple examples of the same watch (not selling any) but that is a different illness.

Second white 16570 and second white BTR.

I have no idea why I sold them in the first place. After a few years I wanted them back.