closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone sent any watches to Germany recently?

Craftsman

Anyone sent any watches to Germany recently?

I'm looking to send a couple of watches to Germany but the guy says recently they haven't been passing customs and getting sent back so can I send it from an EU country?

I've looked online and the only issue I can see is that they may have had batteries in them which is not allowed, however it's already flown over there and in the country so what does it matter at that point?

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks.

How will you get it to an EU country?

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    I'm looking to send a couple of watches to Germany but the guy says recently they haven't been passing customs and getting sent back so can I send it from an EU country?

I've looked online and the only issue I can see is that they may have had batteries in them which is not allowed, however it's already flown over there and in the country so what does it matter at that point?

Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks.
    German customs are being a real pain at the moment. Any excuse to hold up and frustrate the delivery of the parcel. A request to have the parcel delivered back either results in a total loss with the parcel misplaced within the system or a high return carriage fee coupled with a long wait for them to be returned. I no longer sell to Germany through my business because of this. My advice is dont send your watches to Germany and see how things go after 1st July with the introduction of the IOSS system.

I know that FedEx for example were in chaos at Frankfurt airport with a 250,000 parcel backlog. All due to Brexit paperwork. That had a knock-on effect. Less so for land mail across mainland Europe. Some courier firms are having no problem so it’s hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    He's got back to me and it is a Brexit issue it seems. Sending them via a "letter" seems not to cause issues but then we have a problem of only £25 max value if it goes missing. I could send them to family in Majorca but what a drag. I'll wait until after the July date to see if it gets any better. Thanks.

Journeyman
    I sent a watch to Sinn for repair it took about 8 weeks to get through customs after it was fixed. Be prepared for for a wait to get things back.

Craftsman
    "1st July with the introduction of the IOSS system."

Does anyone know if this has been introduced and whether it has made a difference?

Thanks.

I am in Berlin and sent a Watch to Bremont for warranty repair. All fine going out, a few weeks with Bremont but on sending back via Fed Ex on 24th June, it has now sat in customs for 4 weeks and counting. They is no duty or tax to pay!

Master
    take a ferry across to Dublin, post them from there and return on the ferry.

Is it just stuff going into Germany or both ways. I bought a couple of watches from Germany earlier this year and they were shipped by FedEx and delivered within a couple of days. I then had to pay FedEx the VAT etc.

I have recently bought a watch from a German seller on e-bay which has been posted using DHL Parcel with an estimated delivery of mid to late next week. I appreciate that is just a delivery estimate as such and generally excludes Customs delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Is it just stuff going into Germany or both ways. I bought a couple of watches from Germany earlier this year and they were shipped by FedEx and delivered within a couple of days. I then had to pay FedEx the VAT etc.

I have recently bought a watch from a German seller on e-bay which has been posted using DHL Parcel with an estimated delivery of mid to late next week. I appreciate that is just a delivery estimate as such and generally excludes Customs delays.
    German customs are generally pretty hot on anything coming from a third Country outside the EU. I have had stuff pulled from China, US and now the UK as it is no longer in the customs Union

I sent a Montblanc Pen back via an AD for repair. HQ is Hamburg. This was May. It is STILL stuck in German customs. Maybe they are doing this out of spite I don't know

Master
    What a triumph.

Can't believe this is all due to Brexit. Sure, they'll be a bit more incoming but don't imagine this is a big percentage of what is coming in from rest of (non-EU) World.

They will probably blame Covid. That has become an industry wide excuse for delivering a crap service. Try ringing an insurance or energy company and see how well that goes. Even my local RM delivery office has reduced its open hours to two hours a day (7:30 to 9:30) four days a week - why?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEM1 View Post
    I sent a watch to Sinn for repair it took about 8 weeks to get through customs after it was fixed. Be prepared for for a wait to get things back.
    Having heard stories of Sinns previously managing to get from the UK to Frankfurt, be fixed and get back to the owner in the UK in eight weeks… ouch. Hopefully my UX’s battery will give me another 5 years and the effects of Brexit/COVID will have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by VVT View Post
    German customs are being a real pain at the moment. Any excuse to hold up and frustrate the delivery of the parcel. A request to have the parcel delivered back either results in a total loss with the parcel misplaced within the system or a high return carriage fee coupled with a long wait for them to be returned. I no longer sell to Germany through my business because of this. My advice is dont send your watches to Germany and see how things go after 1st July with the introduction of the IOSS system.
    Isn't IOSS limited to 130 UKP/Euro ?

I was told the Post Office are setting up an IOSS service which could be handy depending upon the value. You will of course have to pay destination to the PO on shipping so you would need to factor that into your sell cost vs it being the buyer's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

From a business experience I don't think you will have an issue receiving items. HMRC seem to be making it very easy to import as this is the side they can reduce the inconvenience on.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I sent a Montblanc Pen back via an AD for repair. HQ is Hamburg. This was May. It is STILL stuck in German customs. Maybe they are doing this out of spite I don't know
    Our customs is no better, just google it the place is basically a black hole where presumably customs staff help themselves to the good stuff then just let the poor sod who sent or is waiting for the item stick a claim in

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a watch strap shipped via Germany - it never arrived. Status is still in Germany 8 months later. Luckily I was able to just demand a refund and let the seller sort it out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    From a business experience I don't think you will have an issue receiving items. HMRC seem to be making it very easy to import as this is the side they can reduce the inconvenience on.
    Thanks for this. Good news is that the parcel left Germany in a matter of days and is now in the UK awaiting customs clearance and then over to Parcelfarce.

Craftsman
    So basically it looks like I'm stuffed for a while yet. I'm sure it will all calm down as it's not really viable to keep things as they are.
    Just my luck the guy lives in Germany. I may send them to my sister in Majorca who could send them on but I wouldn't trust her to boil an egg usually.

Grand Master
    Post it to a Ireland based forum member and get them to post it.

Plenty of good reliable members on here
    RIAC

My Sinn EZM2 has to go back to the mothership for battery and oil service, I’m twitchy now about sending it, an expensive watch stuck in customs not knowing if it will come out the other end would be stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Post it to a Ireland based forum member and get them to post it.

Plenty of good reliable members on here
    It would still need a full export and VAT paid on arrival but it would at least then not have to stop at German customs to move round the EU