closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The big NHS data grab and how to opt out

The big NHS data grab and how to opt out

This isn’t a post to debate the merits or dangers of allowing your medical history to become available to all and sundry, go to the BP if you want to do that. This is simply a public service announcement that it’s about to happen and what you may wish to do about it.

https://mailchi.mp/bigbrotherwatch/n...b?e=ea943da932

Master
    Thanks for this, while I’d not object to pure research purposes I have serious resovations about how my personal data will be shared or sold so I’m out.

For balance, here's the NHS version, which to me appears rather less sensational and likely more reliable: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    For balance, here's the NHS version, which to me appears rather less sensational and likely more reliable: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/
    Many thanks for that, reassuring. Unfortunately there's a lot of truth in the old adage about the truth getting its boots on.

This appears to be doing the rounds on Social Media and a little bit of top spin has appeared in some of the media online.

I suspect the NHS version is likely the more accurate version of the situation TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Is this just NHS England or the old fashioned NHS that covered the whole of the UK? I have entered my details and I don't seem to exist...

I'm more shocked that they've actually managed to organise a central database in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    This isn’t a post to debate the merits or dangers of allowing your medical history to become available to all and sundry, go to the BP if you want to do that. This is simply a public service announcement that it’s about to happen and what you may wish to do about it.

https://mailchi.mp/bigbrotherwatch/n...b?e=ea943da932
    Should be in the BP anyway TBH. It's not simply a PSA but biased and false information from a group with a certain (some might say political) agenda.

Edit - Reading subsequent posts, looks like I'm wrong here...
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 2nd June 2021 at 21:18.

The OP is right on this one;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eds-explaining

And there only appears to be one way to opt out - getting a form from your GP surgery. What, no on-line option to opt out? And by June 23rd?

Can you imagine the joyful response from GP surgeries at having to process and be responsible for this? After all, having managed the pandemic, then the vaccine rollout, they are now drowning in the post-lockdown surge in demand...
    Last edited by Dr Wolff; 2nd June 2021 at 21:17.

I'm afraid this article is unrelated to the data grab the OP has highlighted. This is regarding the NHS' previous (ongoing) long-term use of data.
    Last edited by Dr Wolff; 2nd June 2021 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I'm afraid this article is unrelated to the data grab the OP has highlighted. This is regarding the NHS' previous (ongoing) long-term use of data.
    Ah - apologies (though I maintain the link provided in the OP appears to be far from impartial)

I would agree that their agenda is questionable, but their facts are correct.
    More on this;-
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...droidApp_Other

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    The OP is right on this one;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...eds-explaining

And there only appears to be one way to opt out - getting a form from your GP surgery. What, no on-line option to opt out? And by June 23rd?

Can you imagine the joyful response from GP surgeries at having to process and be responsible for this? After all, having managed the pandemic, then the vaccine rollout, they are now drowning in the post-lockdown surge in demand...
    You can manage your data with the NHS app

Master
    On the Watchdog section of The One Show the other night they said you had to hand in a form at the doctor I think. But I'll have a gander at my NHS app.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    On the Watchdog section of The One Show the other night they said you had to hand in a form at the doctor I think. But I'll have a gander at my NHS app.
    To view and change your preference in the NHS App:

Go to Your health
    Select Choose if data from your health and care records is shared for planning and research.
    Select Make your choice.
    Review the information on the page, then select Start now.
    View your preference, then select Change if you want to change it.
    Update your choice, then select Submit.
    You can also visit www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matte

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Thank you. Much easier than printing and going to the GP.

Master
    According to that Guardian article the stuff on the NHS app (which I have now changed) is different. Anyway, I now have a form to fill in as well and will swing it by the doctor while having a walk next week.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

Go to Your health
    Select Choose if data from your health and care records is shared for planning and research.
    Select Make your choice.
    Review the information on the page, then select Start now.
    View your preference, then select Change if you want to change it.
    Update your choice, then select Submit.
    You can also visit www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matte
    Thanks for this - very easy to change your preference using the NHS App.

Apparently by not sharing data for “planning and research”, this doesn’t affect any ability to link your individual treatment records. Also, seems you can opt in or out fairly easily at a later date if you want to.

If I’ve misunderstood, happy to be corrected/ amend this!

Can I just repeat what I said above. Opting out of data sharing on the NHS App is not the same as opting out of this data grab, which you can only do by returning the form to your GP surgery by 23/6/21. Once they have your information, there is no way to opt out again later or to remove your data.

Craftsman

The big NHS data grab and how to opt out

Fair points from the previous 2 posts - thanks for the clarification - much appreciated.
    Last edited by Mainspring; 5th June 2021 at 09:03.