timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Homages do you own?

There is no objective answer.
    My subjective answer is that I bought myself a Tudor Submariner because:
    I like the style and design
    I am happy with the quality of the engineering
    I prefer the brand image of Tudor to that of Rolex.

That probably says more about me than the watch - but that's subjective answering for you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Oh my, I feel so undignified and ashamed now for ordering a second rate watch from Eddie yesterday.
    I had a private bet with myself that someone would come up with that old chestnut.

If Eddy wanted that topic banned, he would have said so by now.

The OP wanted an opinion and that is what we are all giving him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I had a private bet with myself that someone would come up with that old chestnut.

If Eddy wanted that topic banned, he would have said so by now.

The OP wanted an opinion and that is what we are all giving him.
    What did you expect as a guest here exhibiting rudeness towards the forum owner?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What did you expect as a guest here exhibiting rudeness towards the forum owner?
    Eddie is a much cleverer businessman than you. It pays every businessman to know what percentage of people think good or bad about the products on sale.

As usual, you are just playing to the gallery which is often considered cheap.

There is no general opinion, it's as simple as that.

My overall view is that the only reason people buy a homage (be it existing or out of production) or a fake is that they cannot afford an original or are too mean to splash the cash for the real thing.

Therefore if you buy a homage or a fake you are admitting to yourself that you are buying second rate. Why impose that indignity upon yourself when there is no need to do it. Plenty of good original watches to chose from.
    How awful to suffer the indignity of being unable to afford watches costing nearly £10,000 and having to settle for second rate. What an insufferable snob you are. And you seem completely oblivious, which makes it even worse! - there are many on this forum who enjoy watches for what they are, not their monetary value or investment potential. And that imho is why you don’t understand the world of homages, or how they enrich the hobby. If the only indignity I have to suffer in life is to wear an homage watch, I think I’ll have got off rather lightly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite, daft OP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Quite, daft OP.
    There is no general opinion. There are loads of people with varying opinions and nothing seems to be the predominant POV.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    How awful to suffer the indignity of being unable to afford watches costing nearly £10,000 and having to settle for second rate. What an insufferable snob you are. And you seem completely oblivious, which makes it even worse! - there are many on this forum who enjoy watches for what they are, not their monetary value or investment potential. And that imho is why you don’t understand the world of homages, or how they enrich the hobby. If the only indignity I have to suffer in life is to wear an homage watch, I think I’ll have got off rather lightly!

He may seem completely oblivious, but he knows exactly what he is doing Rob, don't feed him.
    People like him measure everything on the price only, and everyone on what they have spent. What he is obviously oblivious of is that when he sees someone wearing a 15 quid Casio, or shock horror, an undignified homage, that person may have the spare cash to buy a couple of Comex's or whatever, but have different values and needs, and don't need to display their wealth ostentatiously, whether on their wrist or boasting to strangers on the internet.

Years ago I bought an Invicta Stainless Submariner bi metal copy Black dial. Has a logo like Brietling and a look of a Rolex. Many years after. I bought a Rolex biMetal Sub, blue dial. Owned that for 10 years and sold it for £3600, still got the invicta.

Interesting that Seiko are supplying Steeldive with their NH35 movements.
    So are Seiko losing out?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post

Interesting that Seiko are supplying Steeldive with their NH35 movements.
    So are Seiko losing out?

I'd say no, they are playing a clever game. Some people wouldn't pay the price of a Seiko, so Seiko still get to indirectly sell a movement to them instead of no sale at all. And many people buy a Steeldive to try before splashing big on a Tuna or such, so Seiko often then get to sell a watch to them that they wouldn't have risked buying otherwise.
    Plus it's cheaper to just keep the movement production lines running flat out than just making the movements for themselves.

Well, I have a Pelagos, homage to the Snowflake sub
    I have a Siduna chrono, homage to the Lemania Viggen
    I have the Hanhart Revolution LE, homage to the original 417 ES
    Sinn EZM1, homage to the EPSA-418-cased chronos of the late 1960s
    Armida A1, bronze cased homage to the Squale 50 atmos

etc etc etc

There is very little that cannot be considered derivative in some manner

My overall view is that the only reason people buy a homage (be it existing or out of production) or a fake is that they cannot afford an original or are too mean to splash the cash for the real thing.

Therefore if you buy a homage or a fake you are admitting to yourself that you are buying second rate. Why impose that indignity upon yourself when there is no need to do it. Plenty of good original watches to chose from.

Do you apply this to watches alone or is your wardrobe a trove of designer clothing?

I assume you'd not wear something the high-street retailers have stolen from a high end designers?

*shudder*

If the only obvious difference is the name on the dial its a fake, I don't understand this trend to try and make fakes acceptable by calling them homages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'd say no, they are playing a clever game. Some people wouldn't pay the price of a Seiko, so Seiko still get to indirectly sell a movement to them instead of no sale at all. And many people buy a Steeldive to try before splashing big on a Tuna or such, so Seiko often then get to sell a watch to them that they wouldn't have risked buying otherwise.
    Plus it's cheaper to just keep the movement production lines running flat out than just making the movements for themselves.
    Exactly

My overall view is that the only reason people buy a homage is that they are too mean to splash the cash for the real thing.
    Hey!

I resemble that remark..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

Indeed! An insufferable prig!

Maybe this is what he looks like in real life:

Last edited by stix; 8th June 2021 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    If the only obvious difference is the name on the dial its a fake, I don't understand this trend to try and make fakes acceptable by calling them homages.
    So a watch with slightly different hands or a ceramic bezel rather than metal or a sapphire crystal in place of mineral is fine then?

Cool, so you're more than happy with Steeldive et al.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

How Many Homages do you own?

I bought my First Rolex as a result of a Homage. Sold that, bought a sea dweller second hand (when this forum regarded them) oh how the mighty fell. Then bought a Milgauss second hand.
    I’m just a poor boy, sing along....
    I’ve no where withal to purchase RRP luxury brands. Certainly will never be able to buy PP or the likes new or second hand.

I think you are getting the words ‘copy’ and ‘fake’ mixed up:-). If not, then you are plain wrong even though I get what you are trying to say. You have no time for look alikes with just different branding. A legitimate position to take though I view it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    So a watch with slightly different hands or a ceramic bezel rather than metal or a sapphire crystal in place of mineral is fine then?

Cool, so you're more than happy with Steeldive et al.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Until about 30 minutes ago I would have said no, but I just bought a Green Steeldive, but its still a fake.

Master
    None I don't like them I spent years saving for a rolex sub instead of buying something that looks identical apart from the name on the face, if I can't afford the real thing I go without until I can afford it

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    None I don't like them I spent years saving for a rolex sub instead of buying something that looks identical apart from the name on the face, if I can't afford the real thing I go without until I can afford it
    So if you can afford the real thing is it ok to buy a fake?

Master
    Can't comment as Ive never knowingly bought a fake
    I would rather have a cheapy seiko than a homage though

For me a fake is where a watch is identical to the one it’s copying. So dial will say Rolex, everything made to look like and say Rolex even the movement. To the untrained they have a Rolex.
    A homage is a look a like but no intention to con you into thinking Rolex.

For me a fake is where a watch is identical to the one it’s copying. So dial will say Rolex, everything made to look like and say Rolex even the movement. To the untrained they have a Rolex.
    A homage is a look a like but no intention to con you into thinking Rolex.

A fake doesn't have to be a copy of anything. Rolex doesn't have to make such a model but putting Rolex on the dial of any other watch still makes it a fake.

Most homages are just copies with a different name on the dial. To my mind a homage should be a watch with a nod to or inspired by something else.

Until about 30 minutes ago I would have said no, but I just bought a Green Steeldive, but its still a fake.
    Well, I'd say you're wrong - It's a copy/lookalike, but as it doesn't pretend to be a Seiko or Rolex or anything except at Steeldive, it's not a 'fake'.

That's like saying Oasis is a fake of the Beatles!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, I'd say you're wrong - It's a copy/lookalike, but as it doesn't pretend to be a Seiko or Rolex or anything except at Steeldive, it's not a 'fake'.

That's like saying Oasis is a fake of the Beatles!

M
    Shot yourself in the foot with that one, snowman!

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Shot yourself in the foot with that one, snowman!

M

So what category does this fall under?
    Seiko Manta ray dial, Seiko MM hands. Royal Oak styled case.
    I quite like it.

So what category does this fall under?
    An abomination?

Hahahaha

How Many Homages do you own?

One more since the nice UPS man called this morning . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    I don't own any at the moment but will be buying another Steeldive 1996 (SKX007 homage, copy, whatever) as I find it a better watch than the one it's based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I don't own any at the moment but will be buying another Steeldive 1996 (SKX007 homage, copy, whatever) as I find it a better watch than the one it's based on.
    I do find it odd that they do a homage to the skx when the original is so available and affordable

One more than I had yesterday. Thanks to this forum.

Eddies B-Uhr for me. Absolutely love it!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Excellent. Great value with that movement too.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Nice!
    I personally don't think watches heavily based on militry designs are really in the homage/fake territory as what they're mimicking isn't a design made by a brand, but a design or at least elements of it given to these brands by the MOD, which is not meant to be profitable, the brands only being producers in this situation.

Yeah, but think of all those Japanese children who will go hungry because you're not paying Seiko more for the inferior model they designed decades ago!

M

Blog Entries
    Don't doubt it may be superior in some aspects like the movement and the price relative to the specs but will the skx have a trump card in that it has certified (iso) water resistance . Not that many are taking either scuba diving but the steeldive you don't get that. I suppose it's a balance of what bases your happy having a watch cover. If the steeldive can do 100m no issues then that's fair enough.

I will admit I like the blacker/glossier dial on the 1996 SD.

I wonder why they (Steeldive) didn't do a pepsi 009 version yet ?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 9th June 2021 at 14:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Don't doubt it may be superior in some aspects like the movement and the price relative to the specs but will the skx have a trump card in that it has certified (iso) water resistance . Not that many are taking either scuba diving but the steeldive you don't get that. I suppose it's a balance of what bases your happy having a watch cover. If the steeldive can do 100m no issues then that's fair enough.

I will admit I like the blacker/glossier dial on the 1996 SD.

I wonder why they (Steeldive) didn't do a pepsi 009 version yet ?

Yeah, I suppose it depends on whats important to you in the watch. I prefer the NH35 movement and sapphire crystal of the Steeldive compared to the SKX007, oh and also the price😁 Did go snorkeling in the Steeldive with no problems and I even went in the shower with it once......

Blog Entries
    Did go snorkeling in the Steeldive with no problems and I even went in the shower with it once......
    The varying environments have it - it's sturdy !

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I do find it odd that they do a homage to the skx when the original is so available and affordable
    Thought the SKX was no longer in production? Ceased 2020. Steeldive has a different movement too I believe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    The varying environments have it - it's sturdy !

Yup, when I buy another I'm going all in and wearing it to do the washing up😁

Thought the SKX was no longer in production? Ceased 2020. Steeldive has a different movement too I believe.

I meant second hand

- - - Updated - - -

I meant second hand

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I meant second hand
    Not everyone wants to buy used (or knows where to look - Except eBay which has more than its fair share of truly fake anythings!)

M

Are Steeldive's decent? I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of them until this thread and they seem to cheap to be anything other than rubbish. Tell me I'm wrong as they have 1 or 2 I quite fancy!

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    Are Steeldive's decent? I'll be honest, I hadn't heard of them until this thread and they seem to cheap to be anything other than rubbish. Tell me I'm wrong as they have 1 or 2 I quite fancy!
    You're wrong. The bracelets and straps aren't up to much, but the watch heads themselves are excellent for the money, and very good besides.

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    Cheap enough to enable you to try a style of watch without getting your fingers burnt, and frequently assembled to a standard that's higher than the watch that it's paying homage to.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    You're wrong. The bracelets and straps aren't up to much, but the watch heads themselves are excellent for the money, and very good besides.
    Cheers - might have to go shopping!