closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Homages do you own?

How Many Homages do you own?

Homage watches seem to be everywhere just now with many manufacturers bringing back models from their past. Looking at my own collection, three of my nine are homages ; Precista CAF, Steeldive Tuna and a Junghans Max Bill. Although I’m not sure the Max Bill counts, it’s more of a continuation model. So how many are in your collection? And is it a good idea for the watch industry to be doing?

Master
    How do you classify an homage?
    Obvious ones I own are a couple of steeldives and an Everest but to some My Breitling SOH is 'an homage' to the original as would be a modern Blancpain FF or GP Laureato(if I owned one)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a single one ,to the best of my knowledge .

Probably every single watch you own could be considered a homage to something. It's easy to argue that there's nothing new under the sun, no truly fresh ideas and certainly not in the world of watches.

I have a Lookalikee FiftyFathoms (Corvid?) and a Parnis that might be based on some famous watch - but don't know what.

Both of my 'Eddies' are standalone, I think - the "Black Shadow" and the "Carmania"

Not generally a fan of 'homage/copies', and have stopped wearing the Corvid, pretty much. Bought on a whim.

I wouldn't classify a manufacturer bringing back a vintage model a homage...more like a reissue, which seems an entirely worthwhile endeavour. It offers vintage-looks to people who don't want to buy vintage watches. I'm pretty sure the resurgence of 1950-1970s inspired models is a direct consequence of smart watches...it's a way to keep the mechanical watch industry unique and appealing by making a product that plays off 20th century nostalgia. This will only die out when it is seen as purely old fashioned rather than cool.

I think homages like Precista are also entirely worthwhile and offer the ability to get a model inspired by another that you otherwise would not be able to obtain. They stand out as their own watches too rather than direct copies.

Steeldive is the brand I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. The whole company exists on producing near exact copies of current model watches. As appealing as owning a counterfeit watch to me.

I owned this Davosa "vintage" GMT. Bought it for fun as it looked a bit like vintage 1675. Gave it away though. I didn't like the faux GMT movement. Even that would have been ok but the 24h hand went constantly out of sync which made the watch feel a bit silly. Maybe I'm a watch snob but owning a "GMT" that has a problem like this is like owning a toy watch.

Here's my review of Davosa GMT.
    https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...ge-gmt-quartz/

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think homages like Precista are also entirely worthwhile and offer the ability to get a model inspired by another that you otherwise would not be able to obtain. They stand out as their own watches too rather than direct copies.

Steeldive is the brand I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. The whole company exists on producing near exact copies of current model watches. As appealing as owning a counterfeit watch to me.
    Isn't the whole point of all homages to get a model inspired by another you wouldn't be able to obtain?

Same for Steeldive as for any other watch.

The reason may be unavailablility, a one-off or out of production watch or it may be cost.

I think, as others have said, that the definition of 'homage' is very grey.

If you mean close lookalike to a current model of another brand, I don't think I have any currently.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd June 2021 at 09:43.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I agree...I guess I use the term 'homage' in a more specific way.

To me 'homage' is what Eddie does. 'Re-issue' or 're-release' is what most major manufacturers are doing when they bring back models from their back catalogue. 'Copy' is what steeldive does. Call them all homages if you want, but there is something much less cynical about the first two. I find owning and wearing a watch is more than being about the looks of the physical thing on my wrist, it's also about how it makes you feel...which is why I have no interest in Steeldive. I don't think it's snobby...I can't really afford/don't want to pay for many of the models they ape, but I still wouldn't buy one because to me the whole range feels like one logo away from being a counterfeit whereas what I consider 'homages' are inspired by other models but also have their own identity.

Where does my Tudor Submariner sit in this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not completely .. I own one Steeldive and although it's certainly IWC-inspired, it doesn't look like any actual IWC watch I'm aware of.

Steeldive "Willard" & a Steinhart "Batman".

Looking to get a Steeldive "Ploprof"
    Last edited by vRSG60; 2nd June 2021 at 10:37.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    None although I had a no rads precista when I started collecting and liked it.

Master
    I have : a Pagani Design diver which I suppose could be thought of as an homage to a white gold Submariner, although I really think of it as a generic blue diver. A Smiths Navigator, a SKMEI G-Shock-alike. A Smiths 29A, is that considered an homage to a W10? I think that's it.

I used to quite like a homage watch
    They offered the look I like (vintage) but in a robust modern package,

However over the last year they have not been worn and my vintage watches have seen more the wrist time.
    As such I am in the process of getting rid of them.
    2 time-factors watches have already been sold with another to go up on eBay this weekend
    The MKIIs will likely follow as will the Newmark chrono

The only ones I want to keep are the following

I like the Helson as it’s a watch I can wear everyday without fear of damage but keeps the essence of the original Ploprof that the current Omega offering as lost, an original is on my radar though.

The 3646 homage is a very good faithful reproduction of the original down to movement and case construction. It’s as close to an original as I am ever likely to get.

The Synchron is new (ish) so I still get enjoyment out of putting it on, the original is another on my radar. I am not sure I will still enjoy the watch in 6/12 months time as there are a few things about the design and construction that annoy me. So it could go the same way as the others

I am unlikely to ever buy another homage, but I appreciate them for what they are and have to say the Caribbean and single button chrono our host is planning look great.

A homage to a watch still in production / common but expensive / recently out of production is something I have no interest in
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd June 2021 at 10:35.

Just one. Kind of a homage and kind of a dream watch. I wanted a more modern Tudor Style watch, but with a stainless case rather than the titanium of the Pelagos. So I built my own!

None, I prefer original design.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a couple of reissue/reimagining/reinterpretation an Alpina seastrong heritage diver, which is a sized up Alpina 10, and a Seiko mini turtle, which I’m not sure counts.

While with modern watches it’s more clear cut, As has been discussed before, there is a blurred line between vintage homage and reissue, particularly for new companies. If someone starts a company and makes UG pole router lookalikes, they’re making homages. If someone buys the rights to the UG name and makes polerouters in the exact same factory, by the same people, it’s a rebirth / reissue.

I think a lot of it is in how things are marketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    None, I prefer original design.
    But what does that mean?

Very few watches don't owe something to an earlier design.

Most divers, for example, owe their basic design to the Fifty Fathoms or Submariner (I won't argue over that one).

Chronographs are often quite similar to each other or, at least, to other models.

Many watches 'homage' others to a degree, whether you acknowledge/recognize it or not.

Can you really say that none of your watches don't owe key design elements to other watches?

If you can, I'd love to see what you've got

M

No homages and no Steeldive type copies.

I'm worth it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

None

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    But what does that mean?

Very few watches don't owe something to an earlier design.

Most divers, for example, owe their basic design to the Fifty Fathoms or Submariner (I won't argue over that one).

Chronographs are often quite similar to each other or, at least, to other models.

Many watches 'homage' others to a degree, whether you acknowledge/recognize it or not.

Can you really say that none of your watches don't owe key design elements to other watches?

If you can, I'd love to see what you've got

M
    All depends on how you define homage I suppose, I instantly think of the steeldives but my Pan Europ could be classed as a homage to the original....or could you class it as a re-issue?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Quality Man; 2nd June 2021 at 14:00.

Craftsman
    I've a couple of homages of watches that I actually own - I got them as a less flashier alternative to the real thing, and get plenty of wear for client meetings and for holiday wear. My logic was that for some clients, despite the high level of service I provide them, might not appreciate me sporting a Rolex when my invoice slips onto their desk. They're also worn when I'm chatting remuneration revisions with my employer :)

I have no issue with homages so long as the build quality is up to scratch, and with the two Steinharts I own the level of finish in relation to the price is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I have no issue with homages so long as the build quality is up to scratch, and with the two Steinharts I own the level of finish in relation to the price is superb.
    I've got a Steinhart coming tomorrow. I was blown away by the quality, irrespective of the price, of the Ocean One 39 Green I got my hands on so it was rude not to

I guess all watches are the descendant of the first?

I have one homage, and quite a few reissues that I don't class as hommages.

I guess all watches are the descendant of the first?<br><br>I have one homage, and quite a few reissues that I don't class as hommages.<br><br>

Master
    None. If a watch has long been discontinued I may consider it. Reissues not a problem at all as far as I’m concerned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Where does my Tudor Submariner sit in this?
    Brilliant ! That's a question

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

One, and I’m quite happy with it as it’s a handsome watch, well made at a good price and is a homage to a long out of production and unattainable to me watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is every square g shock an homage to the original dw5000c? And following that logic, is every single G shock an homage to that watch??

If. as I understand it, many of Timefactors offerings are homages, then plenty.
    Of these, the first few were bought before I had even heard of homages. I just liked them as I found them and still do.
    Fakes aside, hand-wringing over homages now just seems a bit nerdy. I really couldn't care less.

Two, which account for 25% of my current watch `collection` and both Helson - Sharkmaster and Turtle.

The previous comment about owning a vintage-looking piece without the vintage fragility is a good one, and is the reason i opted for them without realising until now.

Oh, and this one - a homage to the Sinn 903.....!

Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 2nd June 2021 at 22:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So is every square g shock an homage to the original dw5000c? And following that logic, is every single G shock an homage to that watch??

What? Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Craftsman
    I've a Tudor Submariner 9401 and a Tag Heuer CV2113, both are technically homages (9401 is a 5513 copy in a different colour with an off the shelf movement and the Tag is a reissue of the original Carrera) but I bet that both of them would be deemed as acceptable watches to own by people that usually shun homages.

There is no clear line where an original design ends and a homage begins so I wouldn't worry and just buy what you like and can afford.

I think some are trying to unnecessarily confuse the matter. It is clear what the OP meant by homages. Not the rubbish like a Tudor that looks like a Rolex or reissues. He meant Steeldive, Helson, Precista and like.

I bought my Tudor Sub because I like it. I am mortified to learn that my taste in watches is rubbish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    One, and I’m quite happy with it as it’s a handsome watch, well made at a good price and is a homage to a long out of production and unattainable to me watch.

A nice looking watch and and why not!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I bought my Tudor Sub because I like it. I am mortified to learn that my taste in watches is rubbish.
    Lol, Tudor Sub is not rubbish. The muddying of waters regarding homage as asked by OP is rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think some are trying to unnecessarily confuse the matter. It is clear what the OP meant by homages. Not the rubbish like a Tudor that looks like a Rolex or reissues. He meant Steeldive, Helson, Precista and like.
    If you are going to include Precista on your list of shame you need to add the caveat that you are referring to the modern Timefactors Precista watches and not those made by Precista and supplied to the MoD in the 70s and 80s. Completely different watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If you are going to include Precista on your list of shame you need to add the caveat that you are referring to the modern Timefactors Precista watches and not those made by Precista and supplied to the MoD in the 70s and 80s. Completely different watches.
    Indeed.

Just so that there is no confusion, here is an original and a homage/copy:-)
    Also, the original here is 116660, no longer in production which also satisfies the fake homage definition of watches no longer in production:-)

I don't understand that last post at all...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Here's mine. Arrived this week and much prefer it to the genuine BLNR I sold a year or so back

None, I've no interest in owning or supporting outright homages to existing models. OP, you ask for opinions but offer none yourself - just stirring?

Craftsman
    Sorry. No homages in the small yokel collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    None, I've no interest in owning or supporting outright homages to existing models. OP, you ask for opinions but offer none yourself - just stirring?
    There are so many homages and re issues around just now. I wanted to know what the forum’s general opinion was. It’s hardly stirring. It seems odd that asking a question about watches on a watch forum could be regarded as stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    There are so many homages and re issues around just now. I wanted to know what the forum’s general opinion was. It’s hardly stirring. It seems odd that asking a question about watches on a watch forum could be regarded as stirring.
    What is the forum's general opinion then?

I think reissues mentioned by the OP are a completely different beast if done by the same manufacturer that released the original. Think Omega for example with the trilogy release of their 1957 originals and the current Ed White reissue. These are often high quality upgrades (bracelets etc) that retain the original look at a fraction of the price of an original.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What is the forum's general opinion then?
    There is no general opinion, it's as simple as that.

My overall view is that the only reason people buy a homage (be it existing or out of production) or a fake is that they cannot afford an original or are too mean to splash the cash for the real thing.

Therefore if you buy a homage or a fake you are admitting to yourself that you are buying second rate. Why impose that indignity upon yourself when there is no need to do it. Plenty of good original watches to chose from.

Oh my, I feel so undignified and ashamed now for ordering a second rate watch from Eddie yesterday.
    F.T.F.A.