closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First SUV/first hybrid - a generally positive experience

Master
    Blog Entries

First SUV/first hybrid - a generally positive experience

I recently bought my first SUV - a humble (by the standard of the 'what do drive?' thread') Honda CRV hybrid. I like Hondas - I've owned eight Civics over the years - because they are reliable usually just a little bit different.

I have never been a fan of SUVs, viewing them as unnecessarily large, thirsty and with a high centre of gravity which isn't great as far as handling/body roll is concerned. But my wife was keen to replace my 2 year old 1 litre turbo CVT Civic with an SUV for our regular 110 mile journeys to and from the coast - around 2/3 on motorway or dual carriage way and 1/3 twisty Suffolk back roads. I was considering a relatively small Mazda CX30 but my neighbour, who drives an X5M, said I would find the visibility due to the additional height of a bigger car much better in the Suffolk back roads.

Despite my scepticism, I am very pleasantly surprised with the CRV. It is more comfortable/refined than the Civic - smooth over most surfaces and quieter as far as engine/transmission noise, wind noise and road noise are concerned. It's considerably more responsive than the Civic - the hybrid's instant and greater torque sees to that. It picks up speed with little fuss or noise - no shove in the back, but sufficient acceleration for everyday driving and overtaking (though not in the same league as my neighbour's!). One review put the 0-60 figure around 8.2 secs whereas the Civic is over 10 secs. It's not a car to drive round bends quickly, but with our dog on board for our trips, that's not an option anyway.

But the biggest surprise is its economy - the Civic typically managed around 44.5mpg but this large, heavy (but more responsive) SUV is currently running at 46.8mpg and the cumulative figure is climbing slowly every time I drive it - I think that's pretty amazing.

Honda's approach to hybrid power is a little different to most manufacturers - if interested, this video explains how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_VChtMGK8

So despite my reservations, this has been a surprisingly good transition from hatchback to SUV. I don't know whether any other hybrid SUV owners have had similarly pleasant experiences?

Master
    As a Hyundai Ioniq driver and also historic Honda owner I was interested to see the differences.

Wow that guy on the video certainly knows his stuff. I looked at Toyotas planetary system but didnt like the thought of the engine revving its head off and subsequent drone when accelerating. The Hyundai uses a 6/7 speed dct so it justs wafts up through the gears with no drama. I understand Toyota’s system is most fuel efficient as it always ensures the engine runs at max torque to pull away / accelerate. As you hit the desired speed the engine backs off to maintain speed.

It will be interesting to see how you feel about the honda having lived with it longer, please keep us posted.

Steve

Ps my last Civic was the tourer 1.6 diesel which returned an embarrassing 70 mpg on motorway journeys, not so good around town closer to 55/60 but still respectable.
    Last edited by higham5; 2nd June 2021 at 08:36.

Recently swapped my Corolla hybrid for a Rav4 - that's the 4th Toyota Hybrid we've had and they seem to be getting better.

The Yaris (which we've still got) is a 14 plate and gets about 50mpg (town driving and short trips only).

The Auris (16 plate) averaged about 53mpg on a mix of trips at about 12000 miles per year.

The Corolla managed about 57mpg on a similar type of trip profile to the Auris.

The RAV4 is only on it's second tank of petrol and is still improving - I managed 44mpg on the first tank and am up to a whisker under 50mpg part way through the second. Although not as frugal as the Corolla the fact that I'm getting 49+mpg from a fairly large SUV is amazing - to me at least.

I don't get bothered by the Toyota "drone" from the gear system - it was odd when we got our first one but now we're used to it.

Looked at the CR-V but Toyota keep offering us deals to stay with them so that's what we did .

Enjoy yours - it sounds like a good one.

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Recently swapped my Corolla hybrid for a Rav4 - that's the 4th Toyota Hybrid we've had and they seem to be getting better.

The Yaris (which we've still got) is a 14 plate and gets about 50mpg (town driving and short trips only).

The Auris (16 plate) averaged about 53mpg on a mix of trips at about 12000 miles per year.

The Corolla managed about 57mpg on a similar type of trip profile to the Auris.

The RAV4 is only on it's second tank of petrol and is still improving - I managed 44mpg on the first tank and am up to a whisker under 50mpg part way through the second. Although not as frugal as the Corolla the fact that I'm getting 49+mpg from a fairly large SUV is amazing - to me at least.

I don't get bothered by the Toyota "drone" from the gear system - it was odd when we got our first one but now we're used to it.

Looked at the CR-V but Toyota keep offering us deals to stay with them so that's what we did .

Enjoy yours - it sounds like a good one.

Cheers,

Mark C
    The CRV is now up to 47.2mpg and still climbing.

I took a RAV4 for a test drive and really liked it (tauter handling but maybe a bit more wind noise on the motorway that the CRV). I was very interested in getting one but had a really poor experience with the dealer that day. Firstly their website wouldn't load on Chrome so I had to add another browser - still not good. But it did say they had 8 used RAV4s in stock - got there and there was just one. Test drove it but had already said it wasn't the spec or a colour I was interested in as far as a purchase was concerned. Liked the car and thought of buying a new one, but the salesmen kept pushing the one I had already ruled out. He then offered an insulting 12K for the GT86 I had bought from them 5 years earlier and had been looked after by them throughout - WBAC then paid me 15900! They couldn't have done more to put me off..

Master
    Make sure the catalytic convertor is protected. Thieves target them on hybrids.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    As a Hyundai Ioniq driver and also historic Honda owner I was interested to see the differences.

Wow that guy on the video certainly knows his stuff. I looked at Toyotas planetary system but didnt like the thought of the engine revving its head off and subsequent drone when accelerating. The Hyundai uses a 6/7 speed dct so it justs wafts up through the gears with no drama. I understand Toyota’s system is most fuel efficient as it always ensures the engine runs at max torque to pull away / accelerate. As you hit the desired speed the engine backs off to maintain speed.

It will be interesting to see how you feel about the honda having lived with it longer, please keep us posted.

Steve

Ps my last Civic was the tourer 1.6 diesel which returned an embarrassing 70 mpg on motorway journeys, not so good around town closer to 55/60 but still respectable.
    I looked at the Hyundai Tucson as well as a RAV4 but in the end stuck with Honda - I like the sales chap, who always seems to get me a decent deal. I've had 10 cars off him now, so difficult to break the habit! But never say never...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I recently bought my first SUV - a humble (by the standard of the 'what do drive?' thread') Honda CRV hybrid. I like Hondas - I've owned eight Civics over the years - because they are reliable usually just a little bit different.

I have never been a fan of SUVs, viewing them as unnecessarily large, thirsty and with a high centre of gravity which isn't great as far as handling/body roll is concerned. But my wife was keen to replace my 2 year old 1 litre turbo CVT Civic with an SUV for our regular 110 mile journeys to and from the coast - around 2/3 on motorway or dual carriage way and 1/3 twisty Suffolk back roads. I was considering a relatively small Mazda CX30 but my neighbour, who drives an X5M, said I would find the visibility due to the additional height of a bigger car much better in the Suffolk back roads.

Despite my scepticism, I am very pleasantly surprised with the CRV. It is more comfortable/refined than the Civic - smooth over most surfaces and quieter as far as engine/transmission noise, wind noise and road noise are concerned. It's considerably more responsive than the Civic - the hybrid's instant and greater torque sees to that. It picks up speed with little fuss or noise - no shove in the back, but sufficient acceleration for everyday driving and overtaking (though not in the same league as my neighbour's!). One review put the 0-60 figure around 8.2 secs whereas the Civic is over 10 secs. It's not a car to drive round bends quickly, but with our dog on board for our trips, that's not an option anyway.

But the biggest surprise is its economy - the Civic typically managed around 44.5mpg but this large, heavy (but more responsive) SUV is currently running at 46.8mpg and the cumulative figure is climbing slowly every time I drive it - I think that's pretty amazing.

Honda's approach to hybrid power is a little different to most manufacturers - if interested, this video explains how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_VChtMGK8

So despite my reservations, this has been a surprisingly good transition from hatchback to SUV. I don't know whether any other hybrid SUV owners have had similarly pleasant experiences?
    Another CR-V hybrid owner here. A very happy one after 24K kms last year.

A lot is very much the same as in our previous 2.2D CR-V. But they've managed to make it a whole better car. I think it's the most comfortable car we've ever owned. I read somewhere that the CR-V is the world's best-sold SUV. I'm not surprised.

Keep an eye out for oil consumption. The new engine tends to use some oil between 'new' and the first service interval when the dealer will put in thicker oil.

There's a large CR-V forum in the USA and Can. Biggest difference between the Euro-spec'd cars and the US cars is the towing capacity. European cars are allowed to tow 750 kg, where US car are not allowed to tow anything. Strange! In fact, Honda's European tow bar has its own parts#! On the other hand, 750 kg is a big step back from our previous CR-V's 1500 kg! Here, a lot of caravan owners have turned to Toyota for their hybrid-with-towing capacity!

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Another CR-V hybrid owner here. A very happy one after 24K kms last year.

A lot is very much the same as in our previous 2.2D CR-V. But they've managed to make it a whole better car. I think it's the most comfortable car we've ever owned. I read somewhere that the CR-V is the world's best-sold SUV. I'm not surprised.

Keep an eye out for oil consumption. The new engine tends to use some oil between 'new' and the first service interval when the dealer will put in thicker oil.

There's a large CR-V forum in the USA and Can. Biggest difference between the Euro-spec'd cars and the US cars is the towing capacity. European cars are allowed to tow 750 kg, where US car are not allowed to tow anything. Strange! In fact, Honda's European tow bar has its own parts#! On the other hand, 750 kg is a big step back from our previous CR-V's 1500 kg! Here, a lot of caravan owners have turned to Toyota for their hybrid-with-towing capacity!

Menno
    Thanks for the heads up about the oil - I'll look out for any problems. Fortunately we don't tow anything but it's fairly limited abilities in this regard are picked up in reviews. I test drove the 1.5 turbo version, which can tow more, but it wasn't as nice to drive - less responsive, noisier and much thirstier.

Master
    We run a Honda 1.6 Diesel and it is a really good car. Unfortunately my wife (Sue) has a stroke a few months ago and had her driving license taken off her automatically until she makes sufficient recovery to drive safely again. It is looking likely that she will soon get her licence back but we both feel that because her LH foot is still a bit sluggish, she will be better off driving an automatic.

We will stay will Honda because they are faultless and totally reliable. I bought my first Honda in 2004 and we have never had even a minor fault. Also the "magic seats" are useful, so we are sticking with what we know.

We will soon be taking a visit to the local dealer and are thinking with a totally open mind.

It is going to be a comparison between the Jazz, Civic, CV-R or HR-V. It must be a Hybrid with an automatic gearbox. On paper, the HR-V looks good with plenty of favourable reviews.

I am now wary of diesel as it seems to be an innocent victim of the greens. My current diesel attracts zero tax because it is very clean and yet I am penalised if I drive into London and other cities are looking at doing the same.

So whatever we buy, it will be a Hybrid / Petrol.

As an aside, does anyone here have experience of the HR-V ?

Blog Entries
    Honda is busy introducing an all-new HR-V.

I like the looks of the new model. In fact, it's miles ahead of its predecessor. And with the latest hybrid technology. I don't know if there's a plug-in version. When you can wait, it's worth a check when it's at the dealer's.

Personally, I love the looks of the Honda E. Especially the inside. I reminds me of my youth when I drove a 1978 Civic. The interior of the E is absolutely echoing the early Civic.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's great to hear that your wife sounds as though she is making a good recovery, Mick. That is really good news.

I'm the same regarding Hondas - not even a blown bulb in roughly 18 years of ownership.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the HRV - the new model in Menno's link looks great.

I hope to stick to just one car for the household but I have earmarked a hybrid Jazz as a possible small second car if I find the CRV too big for town driving - well parking to be specific. I didn't like the standard CVT Jazz when I had one - too sluggish and the CVT didn't have any artificial 'gears' programmed in like the Civic does (at least as far as I could tell). Civics are great car - I liked the 1.0l CVT even though the reviewers didn't rate them. But the CRV hybrid's transmission is SO much better, I doubt I will go back to ICE only.

I'm not quite ready for all electric but the Honda e is a really funky design

Blog Entries
    We will stay will Honda because they are faultless and totally reliable. I bought my first Honda in 2004 and we have never had even a minor fault. Also the "magic seats" are useful, so we are sticking with what we know.
    Overhere, they're sold with a 10 warranty(!) No thrills, no frills and no small print. Our previous CR-V had a 7 yr warranty. The only thing that went wrong in 200k kms was the third brake light. At a point, it didn't work. The dealer ordered a new one and installing was a 5 min job. I once needed a roof rack for a short period, so I discussed the possibilities (buying / hiring one) with the guy at the reception. His words: "Why buy one? We have one on the shelf. You can use that for the weekend! No charge!"

Master
    Looked at the Honda Jazz. Two downsides:
    1) the cat. convertor is exposed and there’s no protective device available
    2) no space saver wheel - just a can of shaving foam.

So I’m sticking with Toyota hybrids which now have 10 year warranties if they’re serviced by Toyota which mine always is.

Craftsman
    What do you guys do about charging? - that is the one thing that puts me off EV/Hybrids. I live in a private road, with my car park on the road, next to the payment that runs along my front garden. To charge, I think I would have to temporarily run the cable across my garden, and across the pavement (trip hazard). Not very convenient.

I guess I could install a charging point on the pavement next to the car, but I don't know what the neighbours would think of that - a bit unsightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post

So I’m sticking with Toyota hybrids which now have 10 year warranties if they’re serviced by Toyota which mine always is.
    Is that the new Jazz? Is the Yaris cat converter more protected? Thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post

I first heard their radio ads (Toyota and Lexus) about their service/warranty arrangement a few days ago - a great idea and I wish Honda and others would follow suit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A bit of a thread update - 3000 miles on and the mpg on my CRV is now running at 50.7mpg and still climbing. I am really stunned by how good and efficient this drivetrain is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    What do you guys do about charging? - that is the one thing that puts me off EV/Hybrids. I live in a private road, with my car park on the road, next to the payment that runs along my front garden. To charge, I think I would have to temporarily run the cable across my garden, and across the pavement (trip hazard). Not very convenient.

I guess I could install a charging point on the pavement next to the car, but I don't know what the neighbours would think of that - a bit unsightly.
    Hybrids self charge unlike total electric which require a charge point.We have a CR V hybrid and so far so good and so much much more power than the previous petrol only model. I am not convinced with the total electric thing in terms of charging, drain on the grid and the need for a cable ( great when you live on the top floor of a tower block) at this time i feel it is like the current Covid protection equipment contracts so nice money to be made.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Hybrids self charge unlike total electric which require a charge point.We have a CR V hybrid and so far so good and so much much more power than the previous petrol only model. I am not convinced with the total electric thing in terms of charging, drain on the grid and the need for a cable ( great when you live on the top floor of a tower block) at this time i feel it is like the current Covid protection equipment contracts so nice money to be made.
    Not all hybrids self-charge though - there are PHEV plug-in too like the MINI Countryman that we ran for a year and that was a very positive experience. We now have a full electric car in its place.

First SUV/first hybrid - a generally positive experience

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Not all hybrids self-charge though - there are PHEV plug-in too like the MINI Countryman that we ran for a year and that was a very positive experience. We now have a full electric car in its place.
    All EVs “self charge”. Usually around 1/3 of the energy used by an EV is energy that the vehicle has regenerated during slowing.

The whole “self charging” lark is just advertising by Toyota who, having been left behind in the EV race, have consistently attempted to convince people that hybrid is better than EV. Using a petrol engine to charge a battery is hardly in the spirit of green technology.

I have started saving with a view to buying a Honda CRV in 3 years time. The CRV has the space, economy and reliability that appeals to me.

When looking online, it's all abbreviations MMC or something etc. Is there a particular spec level to aim for or avoid.

Blog Entries
    As written, we own a Hybrid and that model comes here (Netherlands) fully loaded, including 4x4. Everything you can imagine is there. But, at a price. New ones are now 61K euros. Hybrids have one 'off': the towing capacity is less than other hybrids like the RAV4.

Mid-level trim for the fuel versions is a nice one to aim for. No need for 4x4 if you don't need it. Hondas are virtually indestructible, so I wouldn't walk away from a high-specced pre-owned car (for the price of a low spec new one).

What I didn't know (but I do now) is the fact that Honda's paintwork is outstanding. 2 professional car painters commended (separately) that they'd done a good job in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    All EVs “self charge”. Usually around 1/3 of the energy used by an EV is energy that the vehicle has regenerated during slowing.

The whole “self charging” lark is just advertising by Toyota who, having been left behind in the EV race, have consistently attempted to convince people that hybrid is better than EV. Using a petrol engine to charge a battery is hardly in the spirit of green technology.
    Mining and refining the materials to make the battery in the first place and then also using more electricity to charge the cars made by fossil fuel power stations is hardly in the spirit of green technology either is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I am now wary of diesel as it seems to be an innocent victim of the greens. My current diesel attracts zero tax because it is very clean and yet I am penalised if I drive into London and other cities are looking at doing the same.
    But it’s not clean, you twit, and you know it.

Stand behind your car while it’s running and take deep breaths for half an hour, then report back how clean it is.

Then imagine that x1000 for 8 hours a day rushing past a primary school. Idiot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    But it’s not clean, you twit, and you know it.

Stand behind your car while it’s running and take deep breaths for half an hour, then report back how clean it is.

Then imagine that x1000 for 8 hours a day rushing past a primary school. Idiot!
    I was going to reply to that explain why the engine attracts zero tax for its low emissions but as you have chosen to use two insulting terms I shall no longer engage with you. That was unnecessary aggression,

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I was going to reply to that explain why the engine attracts zero tax for its low emissions but as you have chosen to use two insulting terms I shall no longer engage with you. That was unnecessary aggression,
    It will be low CO2 emissions that ensure your diesel is cheap to tax. That doesn’t make it clean.

What are the NOx levels like? NOx is what poisons city air and the reason why city authorities are introducing high charges for diesel cars.

The view that diesel is better for the environment than petrol has been seeing a steady reversal for years now.

But you know all this. Twit!

Master
    I moved from a Lexus hybrid SUV to a Mercedes diesel convertible last year, while they are fish and fowl generally, the one thing I truly miss about the Lexus is the PSD gearbox. The 9G-Tronic is a lazy thing, for example getting confused at roundabouts when you want to coast up to gauge the traffic and then maybe floor it or brake. In the lexus it handled this with aplomb, in the mercedes it stays in a high gear, dithers about when you put your foot down, changes down, spins up the back wheels and then traction control causes an almost complete power loss. Quite a few squeaky bum moments when I first got the car.
    Yes there is some 'drone' in the Lexus but after a week or so you don;t really notice it any more.
    I'll probably go back to Lexus in a few years once I'm done with my convertible fix, meanwhile I'm enjoying top down motoring and the low IQ gearbox is a small price to pay.