closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Grand Seiko 9F GMT's

New Grand Seiko 9F GMT's

The latest versions of the 9F GMT are being released this month: SBGN019 and 021

I'd considering buying the current versions (SBGN003 and 005) but their similarity to the design of the Explorer II with the steel bezel held me back. The new cases are much more classic Grand Seiko in style and they've been upgraded with a ceramic bezel. Unfortunately the price has also been upgraded by over a grand! I'm a GS fan but it seems like they are becoming less of a value proposition now that these are 4K. What do we think of the new models?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...iko-quartz-gmt

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...thing-watches/
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 1st June 2021 at 18:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    The latest versions of the 9F GMT are being released this month: SBGN019 and 021

I'd considering buying the current versions (SBGN003 and 005) but their similarity to the design of the Explorer II with the steel bezel held me back. The new cases are much more classic Grand Seiko in style and they've been upgraded with a ceramic bezel. Unfortunately the price has also been upgraded by over a grand! I'm a GS fan but it seems like they are becoming less of a value proposition. What do we think of the new models?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...iko-quartz-gmt

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...thing-watches/
    This is a very personal aspect:

if they are not able to make at least two micro holes to adjust the bracelet, let alone on-the-fly adjustment, then they do not appreciate me as a customer anyway

It's a 5K watch, FFS

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post

if they are not able to make at least two micro holes to adjust the bracelet, let alone on-the-fly adjustment, then they do not appreciate me as a customer anyway

It's a 5K watch, FFS
    Don't forget that GS bracelets usually have exceptionally small screws, making seasonal adjustments a pain. They are like tiny grub screws that secure a pin, in the middle of the link, from either end.

Magnification, a sizing block, watchmaker's tweezers and screwdrivers, would be all needed for an 'on the fly adjustment'.

I don't take my GS GMT abroad, if I'm going anywhere hot.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post

It's a 5K watch, FFS
    I have found once the bracelet is sized correctly with the half links (if required) it works perfectly and doesn’t require any on-the-fly adjustment.

Those ceramic bezels that look like they turn, but don't, irk me. Substantially reduced functionality of the watch yet with a price hike...

I still struggle with most GS. They’re like a Fireblade. Exquisitely engineered and near flawless in every aspect. Head says yes. Heart says one of the competitors, one with a bit more soul.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think I prefer the "Explorer II" type GS. But these look interesting and 40mm is a good size - some of the recent GS have been too big for me.

On the Explorer II lookalike thing, I would quietly point out that Seiko released this in 1968:

(photo from the excellent site run I think by a member here?)

Rolex released the Explorer II in 1971.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I think I prefer the "Explorer II" type GS. But these look interesting and 40mm is a good size - some of the recent GS have been too big for me.

On the Explorer II lookalike thing, I would quietly point out that Seiko released this in 1968:

TT
    Now that is a gorgeous Seiko GMT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

TT
    Glycine released the Airman 1 in 1953

I love my GS 60th Anniversary Limited Edition SBGP015. The aggressive lug design just elevates the watch especially with the stunning gloss dial and exquisite markers, but at 40mm I would love a 42mm version. These two new models look great with the same case design but alas, they too are 40mm. Maybe one day a 42mm HAQ model will be born.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Now that is a gorgeous Seiko GMT
    .. and even better, the 6117 comes with black/silver or blue dials.. mine thus:

al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    These two new models look great with the same case design but alas, they too are 40mm. Maybe one day a 42mm HAQ model will be born.
    What about a 43.6mm SBGX335 ? Here's one I prepared earlier...

z

Great watches. Mine.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I've had afew GS's and the attention to detail on the dials is incredible. Unfortunately, for me anyway, the bracelets seem to be an afterthought and sub standard. I had the Ti Diver and the clasp was the same pressed steel affair that was on my Orient sat Diver albeit with different logo stamp. Very poor for a premium watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    That's pretty cool aside from the crown at 4, I must be too much of a traditionalist. I have an SBGA031 diver which has a fantastic dial and brushed titanium hands, so I can imagine yours is stunning in person.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    One of the best GS in the catalogue!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have found once the bracelet is sized correctly with the half links (if required) it works perfectly and doesn’t require any on-the-fly adjustment.
    Lucky you.

The problem is that the circumference of my wrist varies by ten millimeters thru a day.

I like the case of the new GMT’s. Not sure about the dial pattern, a bit too much of a “cocktail time” vibe to my eye. The bezel does work to give it more of a unique look.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    I like the case of the new GMT’s. Not sure about the dial pattern, a bit too much of a “cocktail time” vibe to my eye. The bezel does work to give it more of a unique look.
    I think the dial is quite busy now - I'm not sure it really adds anything to the watch in all honesty. But it does seem quite a jump in price from the older ones and I haven't quite worked out where that difference is coming from

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    I think the dial is quite busy now - I'm not sure it really adds anything to the watch in all honesty. But it does seem quite a jump in price from the older ones and I haven't quite worked out where that difference is coming from
    Tend to agree. Saw one of these in the flesh on Saturday. The 'cocktail' striations on the dial were quite discreet but it's a design that I find looks a little cheap personally. The bezel is also very thin, again not to my taste, and aesthetically somewhat at odds with the choice of the more aggressive, blocky case they went with. I'd certainly take the old model over the new.