closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deterring cats from crapping...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Lol 1st world issues abound

So a cat has a dump on your garden - ?

You’ll be telling us next that people who ride horses should carry a dustpan and brush for when that drops a dump on a pavement or public highway

Don’t get me started with dog owners who CBA to pick poo up or when they do - throw the bags into tree branches..... yes - that’s lovely.
    A feline will do its best to cover its mess, they are immensely clean animals that frankly do little harm to anybody - and bring great joy to many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I note you have not answered the question.

Re horses - yes they should, lots of horses that use parks or streets in London wear a nappy to prevent them crapping all over the street. A horse taking a dump in the street is no different to a dog.

So you don’t like dog poo on the street or hanging tree but it’s ok for a cat to go a take a dump in someone’s garden. - ok...

I am sure a cat does bring joy to many but I would still like to understand what cat owners think about their animals taking a dump on others property. I assume they don’t care. In fact I know they don’t. But that stinks of double standard to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Does not make it right though does it?
    Your choice to own an animal that cannot be tamed / controlled and therefore can be argued that it is not suitable as pet is causing other people problems. - now matter how trivial you perceive the issue to be, it’s causing other people to be upset.
    Is that right?
    Owning a pet comes with responsibility and part of that is cleaning up after it.

You = cat owners and not you Blackal!
    Hey, in the last 4 days, I've been discovering cat-crap in my fenced rear garden. Not too many neighbours with cats, so I'm pretty sure I know which one - but I'm sure I ain't gonna fall out over it. Even if I sit up a few nights with a nerf-gun to try and stop it from scaling the 5ft fence. Because - it's someone's pet. On another forum, Dog-owners seem to feel that it is open-season on cats. I guess they aren't 'cat-lovers' or indeed even 'dog-lovers' - they are just 'lovers of what is mine - sod the rest'.

People seem to love expounding all sorts of punishments for their neighbours' cats - they seem to be fair game for that 'billy-big-balls' attitude.
    Last edited by blackal; 1st June 2021 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Probably not me tho. You might join the cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Maybe, but as I said, I'm in a position to ngaf.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Hey, in the last 4 days, I've been discovering cat-crap in my fenced rear garden. Not too many neighbours with cats, so I'm pretty sure I know which one - but I'm sure I ain't gonna fall out over it. Even if I sit up a few nights with a nerf-gun to try and stop it from scaling the 5ft fence. Because - it's someone's pet. On another forum, Dog-owners seem to feel that it is open-season on cats. I guess they aren't 'cat-lovers' or indeed even 'dog-lovers' - they are just 'lovers of what is mine - **** the rest'.

People seem to love expounding all sorts of punishments for their neighbours' cats - they seem to be fair game for that 'billy-big-balls' attitude.
    I would never hurt someone’s pet deliberately, I may be many things but I am not cruel. I am a dog lover and don’t really like cats but would not hurt one. That said I do have a large cat that likes to have a turn-out every night in one of my flower beds, (and no it does not cover it up after)
    What do I do? Swear under my breath get annoyed but realise there is bu99er all I can do about it. However I stand my my view that it is wrong and cat owners that allow this to happen are irresponsible and if it were a dog they would be up in arms.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st June 2021 at 18:42.

Again, put the poo back in their letterbox.
    In a dog poo bag if you like the neighbours.
    "your cat forgot something in my garden"
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I would never hurt someone’s pet deliberately, I may be many things but I am not cruel. I am a dog lover and don’t really like cats but would not hurt one. That said I do have a large cat that likes to have a turn-out every night in one of my flower beds, (and no it does not cover it up after)
    What do I do? Swear under my breath get annoyed but realise there is bu99er all I can do about it. However I stand my my stance that it is wrong and cat owners that allow this to happen are irresponsible and if it were a dog they would be up in arms.
    Agree with all of this. I am a cat owner and lover, and dog lover but non owner. I know he poops on our vegetable patch much to the consternation of my wife, and also his litter tray much to the consternation of my nostrils. 99.9% sure he doesn't poo in any neighbouring garden or we would hear about it very quickly.
    If he wasn't ours and he pooped in our vegetables I would be well upset, but like you I would swear under my breath, and yes, like some others would investigate the use of non harmful deterrents like high power water pistols etc. But unlike a few posters on here I wouldn't lay a borrowed attack dog in wait for him (what a sicko), and I wouldn't "disappear" him whatever that means in an awful mind.
    Our new neighbours on one side have four dogs, including one that has to me a pit bull appearance and is very aggressive, they can't even walk it around the neigbourhood, and our moggy has quickly learnt that is a no go area. If he went there and was savaged I would be heart broken but wouldn't consider it their fault as the dog is safely contained on their property whatever the legalities of its breed. Our elderly neighbours on the other side adore him and feed him dreamies every morning. But if I saw anyone purposely set a dog on him, made him vanish, or purposely harmed him in some other way my original post still very much stands.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 1st June 2021 at 18:50.

Shotgun should do the trick.

We had this for years with our neighbours cats. I made it very clear to the neighbours that I'd chase their cat anytime I saw it in my garden. Or try to soak it, or both. I'd never hurt it, but if it's scared stupid and sopping wet, well to paraphrase a cat owner above I DGAF. I put bamboo poles and string along the fence tops to make it impossible for the car to use the garden as a thoroughfare (and to minimise the number of available exits when I was chasing it.

Neighbours were fine with it, they still great friends some four years after we moved out. The cat still runs for cover when it see me though.

Sadly the bloody thing only learnt to avoid me, not to say out of my garden.

Master
    And cat s*it really does smell horrible

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Blinking awful, true. Mind you, wouldn't want any poo too near apart from horse manure for the garden.

Ruggertech is the usual idiot, prompt to inflame without engaging brain.
    A couple of terriers are the best deterrent to a cat doing his business in the garden. No cat I have ever known would get in such a garden and therefore no harm would come to him.
    I know: I have bird feeders that are very popular with local birds. We had a couple of neighbours that had cats. They ventured a couple of times, got chased by an angry IT who never got close, and they did not return. The birds are thriving. (For those who believe cats do no harm… think again.)

And for the record I have also owned cats and loved them just as much as my dog. I also believe that pet owners are responsible for the behaviour of their pets. But a cat is. That is why I believe they should wear a (safety) collar with a couple of bells to warn the birds, and that they should remain inside after dark.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Shotgun should do the trick.

We had this for years with our neighbours cats. I made it very clear to the neighbours that I'd chase their cat anytime I saw it in my garden. Or try to soak it, or both. I'd never hurt it, but if it's scared stupid and sopping wet, well to paraphrase a cat owner above I DGAF. I put bamboo poles and string along the fence tops to make it impossible for the car to use the garden as a thoroughfare (and to minimise the number of available exits when I was chasing it.

Neighbours were fine with it, they still great friends some four years after we moved out. The cat still runs for cover when it see me though.

Sadly the bloody thing only learnt to avoid me, not to say out of my garden.
    I'd be very happy if my dog owning neighbours did soak him and chase him out, and certainly wouldn't argue with them or GAF over it as your ex neighbours didn't with you. In fact I'd thank my neighbours for keeping him away from their dogs.
    I'd love it if he stuck to roaming around our garden only, or better still didn't want to go out at all. I'd happily live with twice daily cat litter duties to know he's safe, but he is what he is and love him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ruggertech is the usual idiot, prompt to inflame without engaging brain.
    A couple of terriers are the best deterrent to a cat doing his business in the garden. No cat I have ever known would get in such a garden and therefore no harm would come to him.
    I know: I have bird feeders that are very popular with local birds. We had a couple of neighbours that had cats. They ventured a couple of times, got chased by an angry IT who never got close, and they did not return. The birds are thriving. (For those who believe cats do no harm… think again.)

And for the record I have also owned cats and loved them just as much as my dog. I also believe that pet owners are responsible for the behaviour of their pets. But a cat is. That is why I believe they should wear a (safety) collar with a couple of bells to warn the birds, and that they should remain inside after dark.
    Usual nonsensical services have resumed it appears.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It wouldn’t be quite so bad if the buggers just left a neat little pile of nuggets each time. There is nothing quite like breaking the crust on a nice,sloppy pancake of cat poo to get you dry retching.

I accept cats roam and poo at will but that doesn’t make it irritating and horrible. Our kids basically couldn’t use the front garden for several years due to the incredibly high number of daily cat deposits. It seems every cat in a 10 square mile area made a beeline for our front lawn. It wasn’t uncommon to clean everything up and then the next day find another 5 or 6 poos.

One neighbour asked me what my problem was when we were chatting about it (cats poo where they want etc etc ) and that their cat never pooed in their garden (no...cause it was round ours emptying its guts). They didn’t seem to find it funny when I said that in that case I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if I occasionally curled one on their lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    ALL s*it really does smell

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    They didn’t seem to find it funny when I said that in that case I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if I occasionally curled one on their lawn.
    Lol, an image that will haunt ;)

Ultrasonics are crap. Work for a bit then the cats get used to them.

We planted plastic forks so it’s not comfy to poop but there’s too much area.

Found coffee grounds work really well. Crumble up the used pucks and sprinkle on the offending areas. Has worked a treat for the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Found coffee grounds work really well. Crumble up the used pucks and sprinkle on the offending areas. Has worked a treat for the past few weeks.
    How do you hold the little sods still enough to sprinkle it on their "offending areas"? Assume you have to use fairly sloppy grinds to get it to stick to their fur.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    How do you hold the little sods still enough to sprinkle it on their "offending areas"? Assume you have to use fairly sloppy grinds to get it to stick to their fur.
    Super glue?

Super glue?
    Supurr glue. Sorry ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Supurr glue. Sorry ;)
    I have got to be kitten me
    That was clawful

I have got to be kitten me
    That was clawful
    I'm feline guilty now for even mewntioning it (sorry again).

I'm feline guilty now for even mewntioning it (sorry again).
    Are you fur-real? These a-paw-ling puns could Cat-ch on

Are you fur-real? These a-paw-ling puns could Cat-ch on
    Trying to keep a straight face, but failing by a whisker.

Trying to keep a straight face, but failing by a whisker.
    That’s a tall tail...

Problem here is most cat owners are selfish. They want a pet cat and it's perfectly feasible to either keep the cat as a house pet or train it to crap in a litter tray. But its far easier to let it crap where it wants outside...most cat owners know thats hardly ever on their own property. Thats why they are cat owners...because they want a four legged pet that is less effort than any other animal, be it dog, fish rodent...whatever...every other pet requires cleaning up their crap. With a cat, their crap is your neighbours problem.

That’s a tall tail...
    My mind is litter-ed with such mewsings.

My mind does not contain such information.
    I am in a cat-o-tonic state most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Problem here is most cat owners are selfish. They want a pet cat and it's perfectly feasible to either keep the cat as a house pet or train it to crap in a litter tray. But its far easier to let it crap where it wants outside...most cat owners know thats hardly ever on their own property. Thats why they are cat owners...because they want a four legged pet that is less effort than any other animal, be it dog, fish rodent...whatever...every other pet requires cleaning up their crap. With a cat, their crap is your neighbours problem.
    Most cat owners won’t admit to that though!

Or won't ad-kit to it.

Indeed, they're a lot of cheetahs who are lion through their teeth with no get out claws. On a serious note, why do people ask for advice online about problems with solutions that will clearly polarize and enrage everyone? Rule number one, don't ask just sort it.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Indeed, they're a lot of cheetahs who are lion through their teeth with no get out claws. On a serious note, why do people ask for advice online about problems with solutions that will clearly polarize and enrage everyone? Rule number one, don't ask just sort it.
    You are correct
    You have given us a lot to Sphinx about.

Master
    This stuff absolutely reeks of garlic (although it fades. Or I'm getting used to it), but does seem to work - I've not so much as seen a cat in the garden for three weeks now.

Defenders STV616 Cat Scatter Granules, 450 g, Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Warning: may actually attract French cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    This exactly.

Plus they whine when their pets get killed on the road. Because cars. Because selfish/irresponsible/too fast/just being there drivers. But never EVER because they lack the wit, or even the humaneness, to keep their pets safe.

Always someone else’s problem. Always someone else’s fault.

The lions` poo trick definitely does work to deter unwanted visitors.

Since placing some in our front garden i haven`t seen any gazelle, buffalo or giraffe for months.

A reasonably sensible question, laced with ominous references, leads to thread deconstruction, talks of letterboxes and defcon 1 type escalation. Who would have thought it?

We have two cats. Both do their business in a litter tray and outside, depending on where their fancy takes flight. Our neighbours dug the perfect litter tray in their back garden so my partner hops over to clean it up when she spots it and spoke to our neighbour to apologise in advance of future poops. They have young children, as do I and it’s only right to communicate, rather than assume or seethe. In the same way that their dog slipped out of their courtyard and came into ours and unleashed the largest amount of urine I have ever seen, watching me as it did so. I simply finished my coffee and hosed the yard down. Nary a thought of popping a cap into it’s posterior or bludgeoning it to death even though I am sure it was inflicting revenge best served cold for our cat daring to poop on their mud patch.

I note you have not answered the question.

Re horses - yes they should, lots of horses that use parks or streets in London wear a nappy to prevent them crapping all over the street. A horse taking a dump in the street is no different to a dog.

So you don’t like dog poo on the street or hanging tree but it’s ok for a cat to go a take a dump in someone’s garden. - ok...

I am sure a cat does bring joy to many but I would still like to understand what cat owners think about their animals taking a dump on others property. I assume they don’t care. In fact I know they don’t. But that stinks of double standard to me.
    You know they don’t?
    Wow a mind reader

I have two cats - both wear bell collars
    Both have access to litter trays

I live in a conservation area, they’re out and about doing what cats do - if that means they had a dump in somebody’s garden then I’d apologise
    However, I have no idea.
    However, should I see any sign of cruelty to move my cats or any other animal off then I’d be knocking a door

Soak my cat with a water pistol or hose? Yep - that’s fine if you want them gone

Can I throw a muzzle to the barking shelling dogs out in all weathers that owners don’t let in?

FFS live a little - if you live near cats your pay off is no vermin too

Ditto songbirds…

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I trained my cat just to take magpies, bit of a tight fit through the cat flap to show it off but the bugger managas it ok.

You know they don’t?
    Wow a mind reader

I have two cats - both wear bell collars
    Both have access to litter trays

I live in a conservation area, they’re out and about doing what cats do - if that means they had a dump in somebody’s garden then I’d apologise
    However, I have no idea.
    However, should I see any sign of cruelty to move my cats or any other animal off then I’d be knocking a door

Soak my cat with a water pistol or hose? Yep - that’s fine if you want them gone

Can I throw a muzzle to the barking shelling dogs out in all weathers that owners don’t let in?

Sorry I don’t buy the excuse that cat owners don’t know your animal is out doing it’s business on other property, of course you do, you just don’t give a toss. It’s someone else’s problem

As I have said I don’t condone animal cruelty in anyway, but it’s interesting that one person said (in jest) what they would do to solve the issue, yet lots cat owners have jumped on the band waggon threatening anyone that touches their animal. With regard to knocking on someone’s door what would you do? Give them a piece of your mind or worse?

Barking dogs are just as anti social and annoying, they should be controlled it’s another responsibility of owning a pet.

With regard to the vermin issue, again that is an argument I don’t buy, most pet cats are so well fed they have no real interesting in hunting, they may do it every now and again but they are not out every night killing and eating rats are they? You would see the result if they were, the bells also help rats avoid them or are only birds scared of bells?.

Carpet grippers.

Master
    Lol 1st world issues abound

So a cat has a dump on your garden - ?

You’ll be telling us next that people who ride horses should carry a dustpan and brush for when that drops a dump on a pavement or public highway

Don’t get me started with dog owners who CBA to pick poo up or when they do - throw the bags into tree branches..... yes - that’s lovely.
    A feline will do its best to cover its mess, they are immensely clean animals that frankly do little harm to anybody - and bring great joy to many

Interestingly enough, there is something in the highway code about horses crapping.
    If it's on a public highway, that's ok, but if it's on a pavement, the owner/rider is obliged to pick it up.

Hhhhmmmmmm some interesting comments and not a lot of tolerance. I have 2 cats and they do poo and bury it in our garden and I'm sure around the neighborhood too......are people seriously suggesting we follow our cats around all the time with little bags just in case?

I have squirrels that come into our garden and strip our hazelnut tree bare and poo away whilst doing so. Foxes that come every night and poo on the lawn. Pigeons that sit on our pergola and crap all over the patio furniture.......this is all just outside life. Are people suggesting I get a shotgun and blast everything in site just because it's 'my garden'?

There is no tolerance for a dog dumping on someone else’s is property why shouldn’t cats be the same?
    Wild animals will do as they please the clue is in the name - wild animal.
    A cat is a domestic animal owned by a person, that person takes on the responsibility for that animal in the same way you do if you have a dog.
    It’s not hard to understand.

Dot doesn't like cats in her garden.

I have to pick up her poo mind you.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hhhhmmmmmm some interesting comments and not a lot of tolerance. I have 2 cats and they do poo and bury it in our garden and I'm sure around the neighborhood too......are people seriously suggesting we follow our cats around all the time with little bags just in case?

I have squirrels that come into our garden and strip our hazelnut tree bare and poo away whilst doing so. Foxes that come every night and poo on the lawn. Pigeons that sit on our pergola and crap all over the patio furniture.......this is all just outside life. Are people suggesting I get a shotgun and blast everything in site just because it's 'my garden'?
    Comparing your domestic animal to wild animals is obtuse and irrelevant. The domestic animal is its owner’s responsibility. If they can’t clean up after it then it should be confined to its owner’s property.

Is there something about keeping these creatures that turns owners into batty catlady types?

Master
    Sorry I don’t buy the excuse that cat owners don’t know your animal is out doing it’s business on other property, of course you do, you just don’t give a toss. It’s someone else’s problem

As I have said I don’t condone animal cruelty in anyway, but it’s interesting that one person said (in jest) what they would do to solve the issue, yet lots cat owners have jumped on the band waggon threatening anyone that touches their animal. With regard to knocking on someone’s door what would you do? Give them a piece of your mind or worse?

Barking dogs are just as anti social and annoying, they should be controlled it’s another responsibility of owning a pet.

With regard to the vermin issue, again that is an argument I don’t buy, most pet cats are so well fed they have no real interesting in hunting, they may do it every now and again but they are not out every night killing and eating rats are they? You would see the result if they were, the bells also help rats avoid them or are only birds scared of bells?.
    There is no tolerance for a dog dumping on someone else’s is property why shouldn’t cats be the same?
    Wild animals will do as they please the clue is in the name - wild animal.
    A cat is a domestic animal owned by a person, that person takes on the responsibility for that animal in the same way you do if you have a dog.
    It’s not hard to understand.
    Well the law would beg to differ....

Cat owners are generally not responsible for the ‘normal’ behaviour of cats because the law accepts that cats tend to wander into other properties and have instincts which, for example, lead them to prey on small birds. So cat owners should be reassured that the simple fact of their cat trespassing onto a neighbour’s land would not make them responsible if, for example, the cat kills a pigeon or garden bird, urinates on plants or flowers, or defecates in a neighbour’s soil. These would be ‘normal’ cat behaviours that would be expected and, while some neighbours may have strong feelings about the presence of a cat in their garden, the law of trespass and the general civil law would make it unlikely that a claim against a cat owner could be made for these everyday occurrences.

whereas:

Dog fouling is an environmental crime.
    The law allows our Environmental Crime Enforcement Officers to give anyone seen not clearing up after their dog an on-the-spot fine called a fixed penalty notice (FPN).
    The FPN is for £50, but if you are prosecuted in court for dog fouling you could receive a maximum fine of £1,000.

so there you go..

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Well the law would beg to differ....

Cat owners are generally not responsible for the ‘normal’ behaviour of cats because the law accepts that cats tend to wander into other properties and have instincts which, for example, lead them to prey on small birds. So cat owners should be reassured that the simple fact of their cat trespassing onto a neighbour’s land would not make them responsible if, for example, the cat kills a pigeon or garden bird, urinates on plants or flowers, or defecates in a neighbour’s soil. These would be ‘normal’ cat behaviours that would be expected and, while some neighbours may have strong feelings about the presence of a cat in their garden, the law of trespass and the general civil law would make it unlikely that a claim against a cat owner could be made for these everyday occurrences.

whereas:

Dog fouling is an environmental crime.
    The law allows our Environmental Crime Enforcement Officers to give anyone seen not clearing up after their dog an on-the-spot fine called a fixed penalty notice (FPN).
    The FPN is for £50, but if you are prosecuted in court for dog fouling you could receive a maximum fine of £1,000.

so there you go..
    That’s not strictly true, though you are correct that cats cannot trespass as they are excluded under the animals act 1971. However Cat owners have responsibility under the law of nuisance and common law duty to ensure they do not cause damage. So a cat digging up a flower bed and taking a dump could be argued is both nuisance and damage
    The local authority also has power under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to prosecute any owner of an animal that is prejudicial to health or a nuisance - including cats. To refer to the post earlier about disease carried in cat turds this could be argued is a health risk.
    So there you go...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd June 2021 at 14:44.

Master
    That’s not strictly true though you are correct that cats cannot trespass as they are excluded under the animals act 1971. However Cat owners have responsibility under the law of nuisance and common law duty to ensure they do not cause damage. So a cat digging up a flower bed and taking a dump could be argued is both nuisance and damage
    The local authority also has power under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to prosecute any owner of an animal that is prejudicial to health or a nuisance - including cats. To refer to the post earlier about disease carried in cat turds this could be argued is a health risk.
    So there you go...

The burden of proof that a particular cat, dropped the particular log that caused a particular illness is so heavy as to be almost unbearable, admittedly less so in modern times with cctv and the like, but the burden is still there.
    Short of incarcerating their pets which could be deemed animal cruelty there is no way to prevent a cat defecating where it will and the law supports this.
    If you want to waste your money taking a cat owner to court for pooping in your petunias then I suspect a judge would view it dimly.

From a personal point of view if any of my neighbors asked me to help deterring my cats from pooping on their property I'd certainly do what I could after asking for proof that they are indeed the culprits. I would doubt they were as 1 is a resolute indoor cat and the other 2 prefer the convenience of their tray or our own flower pots even though there are ample communal green areas nearby the buggers.

While I agree it's a nuisance, practically there is little you can do to curtail an outdoor cat's wandering and toilet habits, in that respect they are effectively 'wild' and the law seems to recognize this.

I agree, to prove tiddles from next door or the ginger Tom from 2 streets away crimped off the length in question will be difficult. DNA testing or photographic evidence aside but it does not remove the responsibility that cat owners have.
    1. Prevent damage
    2. Prevent nuisance.
    3. Prevent harm to persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Carpet grippers.
    Just under the topsoil .