closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any electrical/monitor experts here?

Master

Any electrical/monitor experts here?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new monitor. The monitor worked for a couple of days, then suddenly died. The backlight comes on, but there is no image. I have found three other 'incidents' exactly like mine with this model on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/co..._blank_screen/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegam...wing_anything/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidema..._functionally/

The monitor comes supplied with two power cables: an UK and an European one. I was using it with the European one plugged into an UK to EU adapter. Could this have caused it to break in some way?

I have contacted Gigabyte, and no response. I can return the monitor to amazon, but I don't want to if I have, in fact, broken it myself.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a new monitor. The monitor worked for a couple of days, then suddenly died. The backlight comes on, but there is no image. I have found three other 'incidents' exactly like mine with this model on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/co..._blank_screen/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegam...wing_anything/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidema..._functionally/

The monitor comes supplied with two power cables: an UK and an European one. I was using it with the European one plugged into an UK to EU adapter. Could this have caused it to break in some way?

I have contacted Gigabyte, and no response. I can return the monitor to amazon, but I don't want to if I have, in fact, broken it myself.

What do you think?
    If there is only one power input socket on the back of the monitor, which is used by both cables, then it makes no difference which cable you use, and you didn't break it. Send it back to Amazon.

^^^^^^^^^^^ this plus why use the EU power cable with an adapter when you have a UK one supplied as well?

If you want to double check the monitor do you have another device it can be plugged into?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Can't see how you have broken it.
    If you've checked all the connecting cables and they are ok, send it back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ this plus why use the EU power cable with an adapter when you have a UK one supplied as well?

If you want to double check the monitor do you have another device it can be plugged into?

This is the story:

I am leaving my current workplace (I had been working from home from a PC supplied by them) in a couple of weeks. I'm also moving into a different room in the house. Because I still need a computer after leaving work, I have decided to build myself a new PC and also buy a secondary monitor (this Gigabyte in question).

So I had the new monitor and new PC downstairs in the living room until I was ready to move and swap the computers around. Because I didn't want to take apart all the cables from the work PC just to get a power cable and, since the monitor came with both, I thought I would temporarily use the European cable to power the monitor and the UK cable to power the new PC to install Windows etc.

The monitor died while I was changing some BIOS settings on the new PC, so, at first, I actually thought there was something wrong with the motherboard. But it's clearly not the case, since I've, in the meantime, moved into the new room and I was able to connect my work PC to this monitor and there is still no image (I've also put the new PC back together - I had taken it apart to send the motherboard back - and connected it to my old monitor and everything works).

Hope this makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Can't see how you have broken it.
    If you've checked all the connecting cables and they are ok, send it back.
    My concern is that the adapter I had been using could have provided the wrong voltage or something which would have broken it. But I have no clue how any of this works, so I don't even know if that is possible, which is why I thought I would ask someone that knows this kind of stuff. Since Gigabyte didn't respond to me yet and I want to get this sorted, I thought I would appeal to the TZUK wealth of knowledge.

The fact that the monitor did work perfectly before and that there are at least three others out there with the same issue suggests to me that I didn't break it, but I still have that nagging feeling that won't go away until I have taken reasonable steps to make sure that it wasn't my fault.

Is it just a cable or a cable with a transformer 'pack' ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Is it just a cable or a cable with a transformer 'pack' ?
    Just a plain cable

A few numbers:

- the European cable says 16A 250V
    - the UK cable says 5A 250V
    - the adapter says max 6A 100-250 V for AC and max 2500 mA 5VDC
    - the monitor's stated power consumption is 80W

If I understand this correctly and convert 80W 250V to Amperes, that is 0.32A or 320 mA, which should be well under what both the cable and the adapter are rated for, correct?
    Last edited by asteclaru; 1st June 2021 at 10:16.

The adapter is not the issue, the power pack is internal to the monitor so if it was a straight forward Euro to UK plug adapter then you have not supplied an incorrect voltage to the monitor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    The adapter is not the issue, the power pack is internal to the monitor so if it was a straight forward Euro to UK plug adapter then you have not supplied an incorrect voltage to the monitor.

It's one of these that has all countries on it:

Master
    Nothing you have done with the adapter or mains cables has caused the damage/fault so just return it for a replacement - or get a different monitor if there are other reports of failure. There's no point in mentioning the adapter or the Euro mains cable to the supplier as it's not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Nothing you have done with the adapter or mains cables has caused the damage/fault so just return it for a replacement - or get a different monitor if there are other reports of failure. There's no point in mentioning the adapter or the Euro mains cable to the supplier as it's not relevant.
    ^^^^ this, don't fret about it, they won't care an iota and will or should be happy to refund.

surly if it isn't showing its self test when you turn it on its broken, if you press any of the adjustment buttons does it show them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    surly if it isn't showing its self test when you turn it on its broken, if you press any of the adjustment buttons does it show them?
    no. there is no image, just the backlighting. no OSD comes up if you press the button or warning message that there is no signal (if there was indeed something wrong with the PC)

You have a backlight, so you know that the monitor has power. You can rule out any problem with the power cord. The power cord is fine.

You know that your PC HDMI (video) output works, because you have plugged another monitor in and that works.

If you haven't already done so, you need to check that the HDMI lead is good. Set both monitors up near the PC, get the good one working, and the bad one with backlight but no image (and no HDMI lead plugged in. Now transfer the HDMI lead from the good monitor to the bad one. If you still get no picture, the monitor is faulty & it won't be anything you did to it.

Send it back for replacement or refund.

P.S. You have RTFM & tried cycling through the input sources haven't you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    You have a backlight, so you know that the monitor has power. You can rule out any problem with the power cord. The power cord is fine.

You know that your PC HDMI (video) output works, because you have plugged another monitor in and that works.

If you haven't already done so, you need to check that the HDMI lead is good. Set both monitors up near the PC, get the good one working, and the bad one with backlight but no image (and no HDMI lead plugged in. Now transfer the HDMI lead from the good monitor to the bad one. If you still get no picture, the monitor is faulty & it won't be anything you did to it.

Send it back for replacement or refund.

I've already tried multiple cables, both HDMI and DirectPort.

I don't know what RTFM is, but I've tried bringing up the menu from the buttons and there is nothing showing up, so no image at all.

I've already ordered another monitor from another brand (it seems like Gigabyte are notoriously bad at customer support - something that came up while I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the aforementioned motherboard, which is also from Gigabyte, although they responded to me very quickly when asked about the motherboard, but not the monitor - different departments, perhaps?) and I'll be returning this one to amazon. Hopefully this one will be fine. As an aside, I've been researching monitors lately as I do want to get something half decent and there seem to be issues with most of them. I don't necessarily know if that was the case a few years ago when I last bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    I don't know what RTFM is
    Read The ... Manual

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Good shout, could be that.

Yes that.
    If you've tried what I've suggested (Set the suspect monitor up next to a working one, and moved the HDMI cable from working to faulty) then you've done all you can do. It's faulty, return for replacement or refund.