closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G-Shock MT-G MTGB2000PH2A “Blue Phoenix” - Bonkers new G-Shock

G-Shock MT-G MTGB2000PH2A “Blue Phoenix” - Bonkers new G-Shock

I've been looking at this bonkers new G-Shock all weekend and trying to convince myself that I'm about 20 years too old to be able to pull it off but I think I'm about to cave in an buy it anyway. I think it would go well with a pair of bright orange trainers and a crazy hat which could be fun.....

This awesome Fratello review hasn't helped either today - https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...ious-business/

Casio-G-Shock-MT-G-MTG-B2000PH-2AER-Blue-Phoenix.003 by ataripower, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Age is a state of mind ... I’m tempted ....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Age is a state of mind ... I’m tempted ....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I like how you roll :-)

Sent from my SM-T875 using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought one on release day - haven't worn it properly yet, been trying to convince myself I can pull it off. My girlfriends response when she saw it was "I'd be happy to never see that again"..!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    I bought one on release day - haven't worn it properly yet, been trying to convince myself I can pull it off. My girlfriends response when she saw it was "I'd be happy to never see that again"..!

Long story short...

...you replaced the girl and kept the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
    That's not a good start but she might come around....eventually.

Interestingly my wife was super enthused about this one and for the first time ever is encouraging me to buy a watch so it would be rude not to!!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t dither for too long, only 300 for the whole of Europe. I bought mine on the release date and absolutely love it, I also absolutely don’t care if others think I’m too old for such frivolity :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    I wouldn’t dither for too long, only 300 for the whole of Europe. I bought mine on the release date and absolutely love it, I also absolutely don’t care if others think I’m too old for such frivolity :-).

That is truly bonkers, good bonkers, but bonkers nonetheless. Love it, and yes, you're spot on regarding the way others may feel about age and what watch you wear.

So an update. It just arrived. Unpacked, Casio app downloaded and installed, connected by Bluetooth and set up in 5 minutes. I reckon it works I think, it fits nicely and is very comfortable:-) This thing is stunning.

20210602_150045 by ataripower, on Flickr

Master
    Congrats! It's an eye catcher for sure. Sure to attract gshock aficionados.

Craftsman
    Stunning.. absolutely love it!. Well done you... Wear it and enjoy..

For my sins, I just bought one :) I just love that blued steel look !

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Awesome. Congrats. Just wait until you see it in the flesh!!

Blog Entries
    You know it makes sense, especially in the sunshine. Nothing else quite like this watch out there.

Blog Entries
    Sums it up well!

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Buy one of Invicta's more 'out-there' creations - then this will seem subtlely understated and tasteful in comparison!

I've been trying to convince myself not to for about a week or so but I've just bought one of these and I still have absolutely no idea why....

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I've been trying to convince myself not to for about a week or so but I've just bought one of these and I still have absolutely no idea why....
    Well it is something different to be sure :)

It looks less “blingy” in the fratellowatches article linked by the OP.

I’ve bought loads of G Shocks over the years but always flipped them as they were all big slabs of black resin and ultimately a bit boring, although highly functional (especially the Bluetooth linked ones)

This watch does look like it has a very high build quality and yes it’s looks are bold!

But then it really sets it apart from other more mundane looking G shocks :) I was expecting the price to be in the £k’s like some of the other “Mr-G” G shocks, so £999 seems a great price. I could have found some discount, if I had bothered to look- doh

You know it makes sense, especially in the sunshine. Nothing else quite like this watch out there.
    It’s been a very long time since anyone, ever commented on a watch I was wearing - so I might get luck this time:)

It’s been a very long time since anyone, ever commented on a watch I was wearing - so I might get luck this time:)
    I can guarantee you absolutely will! And so far in my experience all positive!

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ataripower; 7th June 2021 at 16:18.

I’ve wavered on this since it was announced. I really like the look of it, and I’m a bit more confident in my ability to wear one of these big analogue Gs, now that I’m a confirmed Seiko Tuna fan.

For those who’ve got one: is the strap nice soft rubber? And are the colours as bright as the photos suggest?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    I’ve wavered on this since it was announced. I really like the look of it, and I’m a bit more confident in my ability to wear one of these big analogue Gs, now that I’m a confirmed Seiko Tuna fan.

For those who’ve got one: is the strap nice soft rubber? And are the colours as bright as the photos suggest?
    The strap is supremely comfortable, the colours change dramatically dependent on the type of light. The best description I can give is that it actually looks like blue flames sometimes, it is that striking.
    Interestingly, they are already selling at a premium on eBay, so its a low risk try out.

Master
    A grand for a G-Shock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    LOL - the MR-Gs can hit 5 or 6 grand...

As it happens I think the "mid range premium" ones are worth it - I've got the blue camo Ti Square, and it's every inch a £1,200 watch in terms of finishing and overall quality IMO.

The strap is indeed very soft and supple and curves far easier for a better fit.... it's sodding long compared to my other G's though!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Honestly I thought the exact same thing but it does have a weird 'quality feel' somehow....

LOL - the MR-Gs can hit 5 or 6 grand...

As it happens I think the "mid range premium" ones are worth it - I've got the blue camo Ti Square, and it's every inch a £1,200 watch in terms of finishing and overall quality IMO.
    Agreed to all the above and just wishing I had the cojones to drop £xyzk on an MR-G and try one!!

Thanks for posting, Spuds - I'm edging towards giving it a go... eBay prices seem highly optimistic given it's still available from Casio though, so I'm nto convinced of its status as an Investment Piece.

Blog Entries
    I thought exactly this, now I am hooked. I had the the opportunity recently to buy the 2018 MRG for the bargain price of only £5,000 - and yes that is a bargain!
    However, sadly the wrong time in respect of liquidity, and the concept of spending that much on a G is mind bending. However, just look what the limited sell for (when they do occasionally become available). Given the work that goes into these cases, added to the general build quality and ease of use, they should be up there with the likes of Grand Seiko.

I thought exactly this, now I am hooked. I had the the opportunity recently to buy the 2018 MRG for the bargain price of only £5,000 - and yes that is a bargain!
    However, sadly the wrong time in respect of liquidity, and the concept of spending that much on a G is mind bending. However, just look what the limited sell for (when they do occasionally become available). Given the work that goes into these cases, added to the general build quality and ease of use, they should be up there with the likes of Grand Seiko.
    I know, some of the limited edition cases are works of art in their own right.

The more I do this Watch Thing, the more I find myself appreciating the unusual, the quirky and the unconventional aspects of watch design. This has certainly been the case with things like the Tuna range, for years I dismissed them as crazily oversize, ugly and stupid. Now, I find myself enjoying them enormously, and I wonder why I ever disliked them. Tastes change, I guess.

Mine has arrived and the best Ghock I have ever owned …:)

Well, that’s done it, Odyseus… Incoming!

Love this part of the Hodinkee review

The Blue Phoenix is a high-speed head-on collision between technology and neon-Shinjuku-nights artistry and it could only have come from Japan

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bo...k-blue-phoenix

Sent from my SM-T875 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Given in and have just ordered it ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? On a serious note I can see why people might like this... but then I saw the price

Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? On a serious note I can see why people might like this... but then I saw the price
    I can assure you it's worth every penny

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post

I can see how it could be, I just can't rationalise the g-shock / entry level luxury pricing thing. Im sure its built like a tank and the finish looks great if a little bit out there. The problem is entirely in my head

At 52 I have no issue with wearing a brightly coloured G shock (I laugh in the face of those what to wear in your 4O’s, 50’s etc articles and you tube videos as they recommend you look like a retired bank manager in Frank Sinatra fancy dress) - but these weird rainbow hued metal versions - especially the posh over £1k versions just leave me cold. Sorry but whereas a bright orange, yellow and or blue 5600 looks like a fun bright summery watch, these look a bit tacky imho. Same with the ‘rainbow toad’ analogue frogman. Stick up the price, colour it like a rainbow but use a clever technique to sort of justify it. The essence of g shocks is plastic and digital for me (whether black or vibrantly coloured) - the rest is just gravy as they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nah ... you just missed the 60s ..

Craftsman
    Child of Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    At 52 I have no issue with wearing a brightly coloured G shock (I laugh in the face of those what to wear in your 4O’s, 50’s etc articles and you tube videos as they recommend you look like a retired bank manager in Frank Sinatra fancy dress) - but these weird rainbow hued metal versions - especially the posh over £1k versions just leave me cold. Sorry but whereas a bright orange, yellow and or blue 5600 looks like a fun bright summery watch, these look a bit tacky imho. Same with the ‘rainbow toad’ analogue frogman. Stick up the price, colour it like a rainbow but use a clever technique to sort of justify it. The essence of g shocks is plastic and digital for me (whether black or vibrantly coloured) - the rest is just gravy as they say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm nearly 56 and I think I can carry it off OK :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post

It definitely is !! I have owned many G-shock's including the all metal versions and this watch is in a different league - it really is :)

Craftsman
    And my wife's a teacher, thereby qualifying for the 20% discount...

This is one of those watches I'll dither about on purpose so it sells out before I have a chance to buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    And my wife's a teacher, thereby qualifying for the 20% discount...

This is one of those watches I'll dither about on purpose so it sells out before I have a chance to buy.
    Just a heads up - this one is excluded from any discounts, I normally get 20% off too.

Just a heads up - this one is excluded from any discounts, I normally get 20% off too.
    For those who use Quidco, it did track on this purchase worth £100 but will have to wait and see if they pay it.

Master
    I like it a lot. Reminds me of the stem bolts I bought for one of my bikes, a while back.

First impressions: I like it. Simple setup via the app, it’s much more comfortable on the wrist than other big analogue Gs I’ve had, and I LOVE the colours. The different finishes really stand out and the quality is right up there. I particularly like the bevelled edges to the case - in a plain finish they’d be utilitarian, in this bonkers finish they’re like facets cut on a stone.

One of my snarkier colleagues also asked me if I was “wearing that for Pride”…

Craftsman
    11 in stock at G-Shock yesterday..today, all sold..snooze you lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    11 in stock at G-Shock yesterday..today, all sold..snooze you lose!
    Pretty sure that's the UK's allocation for this model done. Enjoy all who got one

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I like it a lot. Reminds me of the stem bolts I bought for one of my bikes, a while back.

Yes bluing of steel by heating it to 280/290 degC.

It’s a tricky thing to do evenly as I found when making a mechanical clock :)

Master
    Yes bluing of steel by heating it to 280/290 degC.

It’s a tricky thing to do evenly as I found when making a mechanical clock :)
    Titanium in this case, but I've seen steel ones too.