closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebel watch repair suggestions?

Master

Ebel watch repair suggestions?

I put a post up recently asking about Swissmade Watch Service Centre, since they claim to be the official UK service centre for Ebel in the UK, but the complete lack of response rather suggestted that these were not well known in these circles!

So in the end I took the watch into Goldsmiths (where it was originally bought from). They're no longer dealers for Ebel, but no problem, they still handle servicing. Normal service is over £1,000(!!) but they can do a maintenance service for (I think she said) £400. Opted for the latter but was told 'they might insist on the full service'. Yes, I bet they might...

Anyway, job done, just need to await its return. Or so I thought.

Phonecall today - message on answerphone. As the watch is so old (it's about 2005 I think) they would need to send it to Switzerland, which will cost an additional £50. Fine. And take 3-4 weeks just to get an estimate of cost to repair. Err... And then up to 6 MONTHS to repair!! WTF!?

Any suggestions for where I might get an Ebel watch repaired at a reasonable timescale and cost in the UK..?

What exactly is the repair that’s needed, can an independent not do it?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What’s the movement? Surely a good indie is the way to go Nick.

over a grand is just ridiculous
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Swico Ltd in Hampshire.

https://www.swicowatchservicecentre.co.uk/
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Thanks guys (hi Ben!)

The repair is that the screw down crown won't screw down - it won't engage with the thread.

The movement is Ebel's own, I believe. This is the watch:

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...r-chronograph/

Apprentice
    Swico options on phone will divert you to Swissmade, as far as I know they are the only ones in UK who can do it.
    They're a good bunch but Ebel repairs are not cheap!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The pendant tube and crown will need replacing. It may be possible to effect a repair using generic parts but ideally the correct Ebel parts should be used. I don`t know who can obtain Ebel parts in the UK.

Another option is to replace the tube and crown with generic plain (not threaded items). These are messy repairs, sometimes the whole case has to be stripped down (glass out, bezel off etc) because heat is required to get the old tube out. I dislike screw-down crowns intensely for this reason, even if the pendant tube is screwed rather than press-fitted into the case it can still be tricky to get out.

Not a job I`d be prepared to get involved with.

Master
    Appreciate the advice chaps.

I'd rather it was done properly, even if it's going to cost more/take longer. It's a nice watch and it's useless until repaired.

So what do we think, get it back and send it to Swissmade? Ask Goldsmiths to send it to Switzerland?

Really hard to know what to do for the best.

I'd deal directly with the brand's approved repairer in the UK. They will either have parts and be able to do the job or advise you before sending it on. Call or email them and they'll advise how to send your watch to them.

If you go through Goldsmiths, you are introducing a middleman, they are likely to change more as it's unlikely that they'll get involved for free and you don't know where the watch is actually going, or have any means to contact the service centre.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Master
    I think that's good advice, thank you.

Master
    An update on this one for anyone interested - it turns out that Swissmade already have my watch! It's who Goldsmiths send them to.

They also confirmed that they cannot repair chronograph watches (which mine is) as Ebel in Switzerland won't let them have the parts so the watch has to be sent so Switzerland, 3-4 weeks for an estimate and then 6 months to do the job! (Exactly what Goldsmiths were saying).

So they have me over a barrel. I strongly suspect that this repair is going to cost more than the watch cost originally!

Oh well, bend over, grip ankles...

another brand who have made some nice chronographs- probably now best avoided
    Shame

Master
    Sadly, I fear that's true. I think it's a fabulous watch but I won't buy another after this experience of utter lack of effective service support.