closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Madness follows.

Blog Entries

Madness follows.

I’ve really been enjoying wearing my 126655 for the last week and a half out in the sunshine of Portugal. So much so that I’m thinking of another rose gold watch. I have spotted that Zenith have just released the Chronomaster Sport in rose gold. I don’t think many will sell due to the extra expense.

This is where the madness begins. I am trying to consolidate my collection. I am cutting back on a couple. However, that would allow me to get the above mentioned watch.

Not sure why I am writing these ramblings but thought I would share with the collective.

ref: https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb...0-3600-69-c920
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 31st May 2021 at 20:13.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    That is actually a very nice watch.

Master
    Martyn I fear you are in the honeymoon stage with both Portugal , the sun ( which we dont have) and Rose Gold. One is more than enough. The YM is a lovely watch, but I feel you have unfinished business with Zenith.

Steve

Craftsman
    I’m a big fan of this one - I wonder what kind of discount can be had?

The rose gold doesn't add anything to that Zenith IMO. There are much nicer options in both rose gold and at that price point.

Master
    It looks brilliant. If you can, do it!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The rose gold doesn't add anything to that Zenith IMO. There are much nicer options in both rose gold and at that price point.
    Agreed, that Zenith is ugly as in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Agreed, that Zenith is ugly as in gold.
    Not sure I would call it ugly.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I see this and also think of Daytona.
    This is an easy buy, as in available where as the Daytona has ridiculous pricing if available.
    Plus Zenith was the original Daytona movement.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That definitely works in RG, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Not sure I would call it ugly.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I see this and also think of Daytona.
    This is an easy buy, as in available where as the Daytona has ridiculous pricing if available.
    Plus Zenith was the original Daytona movement.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Aesthetically Rolex have been smarter in using rose gold. This looks so much better -

https://monochrome-watches.com/rolex...-review-price/

Zenith need to work on the design and refine it for gold.

It doesn’t work for me, Martyn, but if it floats your boat then go for it.

I’m a little surprised that you would consider two RG watches as part of a smaller consolidated collection - but maybe that’s because I don’t really get on with rose gold anyway.

Simon

Really like the watch, but not the price.

Master
    its smart, althouh i think i prefer it in steel. You would sell your present one in a flash, but if you were to tire of a rose gold one it could be quite costly to sell

Master
    Isn’t this a golden time to settle on life in glorious Portugal and put the whole obsession with watches into a more trivial place? Who needs yet another watch when a new life beckons, a chance to break free from the more troubling aspects of the hobby.
    When I lived in Lisbon for several years, a solitary Milgauss did me fine...despite the amazing watch shops which fill the centre. Anyway, good luck with a new life......

Master
    Once a flipper.. forever a flipper.

Enjoy the sun Martyn!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Interesting notion.....is ‘flipping’ something you can’t escape from? Hope not.

Craftsman

That watch is a few notches below full-on bling.

Aesthetically Rolex have been smarter in using rose gold. This looks so much better -

That aesthetically leaves me, personally, cold.
    I Would if I had the money buy the Zenith over the Rolex based on looks using my heart. However my Head would tell me to buy the Rolex never wear it. Keep it in a hidden dark place, then sell it 10 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Zenith wouldn’t be for me.

Although a dislike sports watches in anything but steel, I absolutely love the Everose Daytona with chocolate dial in Oysterflex. Assuming you could actually buy one, I’d talk that over the Zenith by a big margin.

Dave

Master
    I’ve got an Oysterflex. Lovely strap, to my taste, but it’s not a good fit with a gold Daytona, wrong weight and ‘feel’. I had a gold Daytona with gold bracelet. Great looks and the correct ‘heft’ missing from the Oysterflex. Yes, it’s a lot cheaper, but, sadly, it feels it. All about price not style (to me). The weight of a Daytona ....fairly light...needs a chunky bracelet. That’s how it was originally designed.
    The design of the Oysterflex holds it unusually stable pared with a really heavy watch case, that would make a good fit..,say, a Seadweller.
    Last edited by paskinner; 1st June 2021 at 10:54.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really wouldn't. Rose gold aside, to me the bezel swamps the watch.

You need some help to avoid a purchase catastrophe?

It's hideous - that bezel and RG?

Gordon Bennett!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I really wouldn't. Rose gold aside, to me the bezel swamps the watch.
    This, for me. More so in rose gold than the steel models too, for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Interesting mix of comments - also preoccupied with house purchases so watches taking a back seat at the moment.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st June 2021 at 13:59.

Master
    The Daytona RG wears a little small. The strap make it extremely comfortable to wear, so much so that it’s easy to forget you’re wearing it and may take on a to key where the Daytona shouldn’t be worn.

I like the Zenith very much, and far more than the Rolex, but that's irrelevant.

What is clear is that it's a highly polarising watch, with a lot more against than for.

That means if you want to flip, it will be hard to do and you will be absolutely wallet-raped by depreciation.

In which case, wait a year and then see what's on the used market.

In your shoes Martyn, I would stick with the steel Zenith and rose gold yachtmaster. They’re two outstanding and different watches.

I like that a lot. If you can consolidate down and get that I would. I guess with your record on flipping though you’d have to be certain or know the seconds markets and how much you’d lose on a quick flip.

My thoughts:

- Owning a couple of RG cased watches is no different than owning a couple (or more) of similar SS dive watches or GMTs. No one thinks that is strange.
    - If you like it, buy it.
    - The point that you will be out of pocket and subsequently move it on is irrelevant. You already know that to be the case.

You like trying a variety of watches, you like flipping. That is part of the hobby to you. Fortunately as someone genuinely interested in watches, you strike me as someone who shakes their head in bemusement at those who bang on about retained value, rather than enjoyment of the watch.

Master
    Not for me personally but there’s nothing wrong with a bit of madness Martyn when it comes to watches :-)

Knowing there’s a 97% probability of you flipping it I’d be more interested to know how much of a bath you’ll take on it when do.

I love the the chocolate dial rose gold Daytona even though I’d prefer it a mil or two bigger. That aside I think getting one would be the issue.

Without doubt one of the most beautiful watches I’ve ever seen, so to my mind the Zenith stands no chance in a straight fight. This thread, though, shows just how subjective we all are... all these opposing opinions offered with such complete authority:)

That Zenith is a nice enough watch but for my money there are better contenders including the Daytona pictures below.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Without doubt one of the most beautiful watches I’ve ever seen, so to my mind the Zenith stands no chance in a straight fight. This thread, though, shows just how subjective we all are... all these opposing opinions offered with such complete authority:)
    absolutely true! What I think Rolex does well is make their variations stand out - the rose gold daytona is nothing like the SS variant. This is where I think Zenith have been a bit lazy.

Craftsman
    The Daytona has multiple dial options, giving it an advantage when comparing the Zenith to the best ones....

When looking at a closer match to the dial, the Daytona is no longer leaps ahead on its looks IMO. Martyn, I guess it depends om what you want from the watch. The Zenith has more to offer, the Daytona on the other hand has the oyster flex.

Rose gold watches done right are great. My 86122/000R-9362 is currently on a tan nubuck strap and for a dress watch, it looks like a summer watch now. I can change the strap giving me the dress look once again.

My main question is, would the Zenith look better without the date?

If you want the date, rose hold, panda style dial, what about the new Parmigiani TONDAGRAPH GT PFC903-1500140-X01482
    Last edited by optix; 2nd June 2021 at 19:11.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    The Daytona has multiple dial options, giving it an advantage when comparing the Zenith to the best ones....

When looking at a closer match to the dial, the Daytona is no longer leaps ahead on its looks IMO. Martyn, I guess it depends om what you want from the watch. The Zenith has more to offer, the Daytona on the other hand has the oyster flex.

Rose gold watches done right are great. My 86122/000R-9362 is currently on a tan nubuck strap and for a dress watch, it looks like a summer watch now. I can change the strap giving me the dress look once again.

My main question is, would the Zenith look better without the date?

If you want the date, rose hold, panda style dial, what about the new Parmigiani TONDAGRAPH GT PFC903-1500140-X01482
    Many thanks for the pictural comparison. Very useful. I am in no rush at the moment.

I had a quick look at the Parmigiani - but that is much more RRP - the site I was looking was 41.000€ or so. Rather beyond my budget.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    My thoughts:

- Owning a couple of RG cased watches is no different than owning a couple (or more) of similar SS dive watches or GMTs. No one thinks that is strange.
    - If you like it, buy it.
    - The point that you will be out of pocket and subsequently move it on is irrelevant. You already know that to be the case.

You like trying a variety of watches, you like flipping. That is part of the hobby to you. Fortunately as someone genuinely interested in watches, you strike me as someone who shakes their head in bemusement at those who bang on about retained value, rather than enjoyment of the watch.
    Good summary. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You need some help to avoid a purchase catastrophe?

It's hideous - that bezel and RG?

Gordon Bennett!
    I agree-it's not my cup of tea....

Master
    The truly telling point (to me) is that its not possible to speak of the Zenith without the word ‘Daytona’ crashing
    into the conversation.
    In that sense, there’s no real competition. Ask yourself, if people were offered a Daytona or Zenith, which would they choose.
    I think we know the answer. If only because of long-term value.

Id never be able to live with the lug links on that rolex - just get a strap that bloody fits the damn thing! Either a curved springbar or a substantial strap like on the zenith to close the gap - if closing the gap even matters to you...

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The truly telling point (to me) is that its not possible to speak of the Zenith without the word ‘Daytona’ crashing
    into the conversation.
    In that sense, there’s no real competition. Ask yourself, if people were offered a Daytona or Zenith, which would they choose.
    I think we know the answer. If only because of long-term value.
    The last 7 words are whats wrong with the hobby right now - but sadly also true...