closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antiques Roadshow Speedie coming up...

Antiques Roadshow Speedie coming up...

Looks like an Ultraman, I'll guess the estimate at £25-35k.

;-)

You can see in to the future...
    Or in to the past, this episode was first shown in sept 19.

Hand on heart, didn't know it was a repeat, and hadn't seen it first time around!!

Was an Ultraman, estimated at £30-40k, and a truly delighted ex-Royal Navy original owner.

:-)

Master
    Should be worth a bit more now then :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    Hand on heart, didn't know it was a repeat, and hadn't seen it first time around!!

Was an Ultraman, estimated at £30-40k, and a truly delighted ex-Royal Navy original owner.

:-)
    He didn't have any qualms about sailing dinghys whilst wearing it either !

Master
    It was auctioned about 6 months later for I seem to recall circa £25K inc commission so he presumably pocketed less than £20K. Rather less than the silly estimate AR provided.

Master
    Tell you what, it was pitiless in illustrating the scale of deterioration in recent COVID-hit examples. All the crowds, the colour, the energy, all missing in 2021 programmes, not the fault of the BBC, but the fall-off in Antiques Roadshow is impossible to hide since the glory days of several years ago,
    The programme makers and audience all show courage, but these late productions will never get a repeat. Too embarrassing.
    Wasn’t totally keen on the old Speedy, but some of the women were rather beautiful. I should say ‘so were the men’. Strange times indeed,
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th May 2021 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Tell you what, it was pitiless in illustrating the scale of deterioration in recent COVID-hit examples. All the crowds, the colour, the energy, all missing in 2021 programmes, not the fault of the BBC, but the fall-off in Antiques Roadshow is impossible to hide since the glory days of several years ago,
    The programme makers and audience all show courage, but these late productions will never get a repeat. Too embarrassing.
    Wasn’t totally keen on the old Speedy, but some of the women were rather beautiful. I should say ‘so were the men’. Strange times indeed,
    Time for bed?

Master
    It’s gone downhill with the basic-better-best thing, people applauding at a valuation and a preview at the start imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    Time for bed?
    This is a man whose favourite programme is a YouTube film of walking in heavy rain. It’s less tedious than those forum discussions on Rolex unavailability. The ones which start,,,’ my AD says...,’. Prefer the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    It was auctioned about 6 months later for I seem to recall circa £25K inc commission so he presumably pocketed less than £20K. Rather less than the silly estimate AR provided.
    Isn’t £25K £25-£35K? Don’t think they knock off commission.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I don't think it is anything to do with the pandemic, the format is just tired, or we're just tired of it. It is very formulaic: some of the experts are just one page ahead in the text books compared to the punters, who often (if they are collectors) know more but keep it quiet to fit in with the format. I suppose they go for bragging rights or to show off their possessions. Then the valuation - wow it is worth £3000!

Well I like it, AR not only shows items of interest with a breakdown of who, why, how, but it also shows history from the town and building they are in, it’s very British, well made and perfect for the Sunday time slot it’s on.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    perfect for the Sunday time slot it’s on.
    Agreed, a top quality, exciting line up from the BBC last night, Countryfile, Antiques Roadshow, Call the Midwife topped off with a Call the Midwife special. Exhausting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Agreed, a top quality, exciting line up from the BBC last night, Countryfile, Antiques Roadshow, Call the Midwife topped off with a Call the Midwife special. Exhausting.

We just needed The Repair Shop to round it off.

Actually I don’t mind The Repair Shop as long as I can fast forward past the dull bits. There are a good 15 - 20 minutes of quality in the hour long episodes.

Then I just go back to YouTube.

I love Countryfile and AR straight after makes for a good couple of hours, Call the Midwife is the point I turn over!

The Repair Shop is also spot on as is SpringWatch, when that’s done it’s back to Netflix for Narcos and Worlds Toughest Prisons

I’m with you both on Repair Shop, can be a bit teary, but the experts are personable, £ a vulgar topic never mentioned and some nice personal items, a favourite childhood toy, long gone grandparent’s ring, happy memories. AR’s presenters are rather snobby and pompous shepherded along by goody two shoes, head girl Fiona and it’s £££££s! Bored faces until we get to the ££s.

Springwatch - tick, Countryfile - Uh urgh.

On the topic of Sunday night telly, anybody watching Fargo? The frequency and length of the commercial breaks are ruining it, breaking the whole rhythm and train of thought with betting ads.

On the topic of Sunday night telly, anybody watching Fargo? The frequency and length of the commercial breaks are ruining it, breaking the whole rhythm and train of thought with betting ads.
    Afraid I gave up on the latest series about 15 minutes into the third episode.

I've found it very much a downward curve throughout all the series and this one just completely failed to engage me from the start.

As we started to watch ep 3, I just asked the wife if she really wanted to watch it and she didn't so, we watched something else instead.

I can't say I've regretted the decision for a moment.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I do like the Repair Shop, you watch people with real skill plying their craft. Steve really impresses me - he had a clock in for repair recently, and he said he must have done thousands of them over the years, so he could tell pretty much instantly what he needed to do to repair it. I am just in awe of that kind of skill.

Also Will is very good, especially for one so young. And he is normally wearing a quality watch - not always the same one either.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    We just needed The Repair Shop to round it off.

Actually I don’t mind The Repair Shop as long as I can fast forward past the dull bits. There are a good 15 - 20 minutes of quality in the hour long episodes.

Then I just go back to YouTube.
    Oh, I think you are being a bit generous there.

I used to record it and wind through the boring bits until I found I had wound through the entire show.

Same with Antiques Roadshow, has become so boring in recent times.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I doSteve really impresses me - he had a clock in for repair recently, and he said he must have done thousands of them over the years, so he could tell pretty much instantly what he needed to do to repair it. I am just in awe of that kind of skill.
    Steve is great. I watched one recently in which he restored a Smiths striking mantle clock beautifully (with a bit of help from housewives-favourite Will). I have a similar clock, of a type very widespread in the UK from ‘30s to the ‘60s.

I quite like watching Dom do his metalwork. He has a YouTube channel which is a bit hit and miss but the good stuff I enjoy. https://youtube.com/c/DominicChineas

I’m intrigued by his Ranalah project. He bought a defunct company that used to make English Wheels and now he is on a mission to restore/popularise them.

I had heard of the English Wheel, being into old cars, but didn’t know Ranalah.

Antiques Roadshow, and that's just the crowd...

It has become rather clichéd and samey:
    Stieff stuffed toy? Check.
    Claris Cliff pottery? Check.
    African or Polynesian war clubs? Check.
    Renée Lalique glass object? Check.
    WW2 medals? Check.
    Art Deco jewellery? Check.

Cut to images of a playful spaniel on the lawn...

They should have specials, detailing a couple of subjects and extend the historical range. Obviously they should start with clocks and watches. :)
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Thing is, after the dread of many months of dark Covid, anything familiar and comfortable can see needed for reassurance. That’s the new role for stuff like ‘Antiques Roadshow’, which years ago might have seemed a little naff (sorry). Now it’s a little, comfy, sign of a return to normality.
    But I draw the line at ‘countryfile.’ And moaning on TZ about the shortage of Rolex never fades.....

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Antiques Roadshow, and that's just the crowd...

It has become rather clichéd and samey:
    Stieff stuffed toy? Check.
    Claris Cliff pottery? Check.
    African or Polynesian war clubs? Check.
    Renée Lalique glass object? Check.
    WW2 medals? Check.
    Art Deco jewellery? Check.

Cut to images of a playful spaniel on the lawn...

They should have specials, detailing a couple of subjects and extend the historical range. Obviously they should start with clocks and watches. :)
    Ha! That made me smile, I annoy the wife by saying 'Thats Laique' or 'Thats Stieff' anytime something glass or furry comes on the AR, Im usually right because of the cliche.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I once took a stuffed Yorkshire Terrier along to an AR show near me. The expert said that it was in such poor condition that he wouldn't like to put a value on it. I asked what it would fetch if it was in good condition. He said "sticks and tennis balls".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I once took a stuffed Yorkshire Terrier along to an AR show near me. The expert said that it was in such poor condition that he wouldn't like to put a value on it. I asked what it would fetch if it was in good condition. He said "sticks and tennis balls".
    Oh Alec…

Never mind Antiques Roadshow, I used to be a fan of Ski Sunday but that’s gone downhill too.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Never mind Antiques Roadshow, I used to be a fan of Ski Sunday but that’s gone downhill too.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    😅

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Also Will is very good, especially for one so young. And he is normally wearing a quality watch - not always the same one either.
    It’s usually an Invicta.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    It’s gone downhill with the basic-better-best thing, people applauding at a valuation and a preview at the start imo.
    Agreed.
    I’ve just watched it.
    Talking about the spires Peregrines whilst showing a picture of a buzzard