closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Watch Insurance

Journeyman

Rolex Watch Insurance

Hi All,

Just wanted to see who people use for their Watch Insurance?

Watches Of Switzerland offer decent rates but all upfront, anyone had any experience with them.

TH March are an option but were iffy about my safe and I have maxed out the house insurance option with other items.

Thanks in advance!

This is been asked loads of times.

Named item on my home insurance. Covers me anywhere in the world. Costs an additional £25 premium per year on top of my home insurance.

This is for a subC with about £7.5 k valuation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never bothered with insurance on any of my watches (the most expensive was a SD4000C) - fortunately I have never lost one, but if I had, it would have just been one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've never bothered with insurance on any of my watches (the most expensive was a SD4000C) - fortunately I have never lost one, but if I had, it would have just been one of those things.
    I wouldn’t have thought losing one is a particularly worrying issue. Being burgled for the lot is, or perhaps being mugged for something on your wrist.

Master
    To be honest, a £25 premium for a £7.5k is a 300:1 risk. That policy is going to have a load of exclusions. So check the policy with a toothcomb.

It will cover theft as long as the watch is either in the same room as the insurer, on his person or if neither of those, locked up in a safe pre agreed with the insurer. Hotel safes do not count.

So if the watch is stolen in the same room that the insured is sleeping anywhere in the world, it will be covered. If the insurer was mugged anywhere in the world, it will be covered, in nearly every other instance it will not be covered.

The most common mistake is to take your watch off whilst swimming. If it gets stolen - tough luck.

If you take your watch off to do the gardening or work on the car - not covered.

Insurance often induces a false sense of security.

Master
    Same here; these are luxury goods, toys. If you have to, do without. I did lose one watch, a JLC, but over the years I saved far more on premiums. It really adds up .
    The whole business is carefully designed to profit the insurance company at the customers expense. It’s not a charity.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th May 2021 at 20:38.

Master
    I’m with you on this one. Premiums compared to the price of insuring a similarly priced car you could kill someone with were ridiculous

I would try and fit it onto your home insurance schedule if you can - I know you said you had maxed this out, but maybe from your next renewal - as home insurance valuables cover will be significantly cheaper than specific watch insurance (watch insurance premiums are generally 2-3%+ of the watch replacement value). Although, as noted above, read the home insurance valuables small print for requirements around whether it has to be in a safe (when not worn) to be covered.

THMatch are brilliant, I had to claim and they were helpful, quick and paid up pronto Just make sure your valuations are up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    THMatch are brilliant, I had to claim and they were helpful, quick and paid up pronto Just make sure your valuations are up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed.

Journeyman
    What is the best way to insure my £3000 Tudor for theft, loss and damage etc full cover? How much is it likely to cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    What is the best way to insure my £3000 Tudor for theft, loss and damage etc full cover? How much is it likely to cost?
    As said earlier in the thread, just list it as an item on your existing policy, it will cost a couple of quid a month extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    As said earlier in the thread, just list it as an item on your existing policy, it will cost a couple of quid a month extra.
    Unquestionably this.

It only gets tricky when you have a single item worth more than £15k or your collection is worth more than £30k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I wouldn’t have thought losing one is a particularly worrying issue. Being burgled for the lot is, or perhaps being mugged for something on your wrist.
    If I had a valuable collection I might think differently but I generally think you could insure your life away if not careful. Car, pet and house insurance are all I bother with (and I am reconsidering the pet insurance as I haven't made a claim for years and it's now getting very expensive for a middle-aged dog - I wouldn't spare any expense if she needed it). But not sure the mugging bit is relevant to my general feelings about insurance (other than it might provide some salve after undergoing a harrowing ordeal).

Master
    I have been pretty comfortable with Marks and Spencers up to this point but the current crazy prices mean that their £50k total and £15k limit won’t fully cover my Ceramic Daytona and Blue Skydweller.

I will have a shop around for these at renewal, although I’d effectively just me insuring the delta of £15k and their value by making them single policies but paying for the whole thing.

The majority of my collection is cycled / held in a Safety Deposit box where insurance is cheap as chips!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I have been pretty comfortable with Marks and Spencers up to this point but the current crazy prices mean that their £50k total and £15k limit won’t fully cover my Ceramic Daytona and Blue Skydweller.

I will have a shop around for these at renewal, although I’d effectively just me insuring the delta of £15k and their value by making them single policies but paying for the whole thing.

The majority of my collection is cycled / held in a Safety Deposit box where insurance is cheap as chips!
    If the value of your watches goes up and you renew at the old value, they won't pay up. Taking out insurance is dead easy, claiming it is not.

If I had a valuable collection I might think differently but I generally think you could insure your life away if not careful. Car, pet and house insurance are all I bother with (and I am reconsidering the pet insurance as I haven't made a claim for years and it's now getting very expensive for a middle-aged dog - I wouldn't spare any expense if she needed it). But not sure the mugging bit is relevant to my general feelings about insurance (other than it might provide some salve after undergoing a harrowing ordeal).
    You don't have contents insurance? If you do, do you exclude items of value when totting up the cover you need?

Master
    You don't have contents insurance? If you do, do you exclude items of value when totting up the cover you need?
    That is a classic way of rendering a policy null and void unless you specifically name the items that are outside of the insurance. Even then, a lot of companies will refuse to take you on. My Insurer made it clear to me that I insure everything I own at its full value or not at all. No exclusions accepted.

So if you took out a policy that excluded watches, the insurer will want to know that and then decide whether or not to progress.

I'm the same as you and I'm about to sign with either NFU or Hiscox. Just at final stages now.

I have mine at the bank with only one out at a time but NFU want the lot covered regardless along with a safe rating which matches or exceeds the total value. Bit annoying.

This was not the case when I enquired with a local safety deposit company in Edinburgh. The additional insurance cost for my collection was c£3k pa. I imagine London will be cheaper though (more competition).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Come to think about it, the contents insurance - basic - would probably cover a burglary or the house being destroyed. Though not purchased with watches in mind (my watches aren't particularly valuable and don't tip our possessions over the content limit).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    This was not the case when I enquired with a local safety deposit company in Edinburgh. The additional insurance cost for my collection was c£3k pa. I imagine London will be cheaper though (more competition).
    Try these guys

http://www.ellertonknight.co.uk

T H March: they’re the absolute best in regards to jewellery and watches (obviously that’s imho but also in my experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to have TH March - really good lot

Have now swapped to Assetsure due to price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Rolex Watch Insurance

I have recently been in contact with T H March and the person I spoke to told me that they would only cover watches bought from jewellers with a receipt. So they would not accept ones bought in auction (from reputable auctioneers) or over the internet e.g. on TZ-U.K. I find that difficult to believe since many members here recommended them. Am I missing something or is there a workaround members have used with them?

Regards

Tony
    Last edited by tswatch66; 20th September 2021 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    I have recently been in contact with T H March and the person I spoke to told me that they would only cover watches bought from jewellers with a receipt. So they would not accept ones bought in auction (from reputable auctioneers) or over the internet e.g. on TZ-U.K. I find that difficult to believe since many members here recommended them. Am I missing something or is there a workaround members have used with them?

Regards

Tony
    I found exactly the same, so I've gone the home insurance route.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    To be honest, a £25 premium for a £7.5k is a 300:1 risk. That policy is going to have a load of exclusions. So check the policy with a toothcomb.

It will cover theft as long as the watch is either in the same room as the insurer, on his person or if neither of those, locked up in a safe pre agreed with the insurer. Hotel safes do not count.

So if the watch is stolen in the same room that the insured is sleeping anywhere in the world, it will be covered. If the insurer was mugged anywhere in the world, it will be covered, in nearly every other instance it will not be covered.

The most common mistake is to take your watch off whilst swimming. If it gets stolen - tough luck.

If you take your watch off to do the gardening or work on the car - not covered.

Insurance often induces a false sense of security.

Yep. +1

pretty much standard exclusionary stuff - the insurance company will be bound by the underwriter so read the policy and then read it again.