closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar watches for the worried!

Solar watches for the worried!

So, I’ve read countless threads over the years about solar watches and charging and imho it’s a complete non -issue. I have a few and a couple - the gwf 1000 frogman and gw3500 - must be at least 10 years old and none have ever dropped off high charge in that period. So here’s my simple guide. Once a year maybe, even if you live in the uk, stick them on a table in the garden on a sunny day for an afternoon. Today is that day!
    I don’t think you need worry about resin rot or overheating, it’s like wearing it on the beach. Those in the picture get stored differently - the Arnie gets worn a couple of times a week, the frogmen stay on the side in ambient light - and get worn a few times a month in the summer - and the other 3 mainly live in a watch box, probably come out onto an indoor shelf for a few weeks in winter, get the odd day of wear in the summer. I’m not even sure how much difference this bit of sunbathing makes but living in the UK and even with a collection I’ve never had to change a single solar power cell in a solar watch by following this simple advice - and they all indicate a high charge all year round even with use of alarms etc. I never use auto el and the power save mode is switched on.

Ps I know the bench needs painting or whatever but these are g shocks so they appreciate a rugged tanning bench, grr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topical post - my sons Casio edifice been in the sun all day and refuses to charge

Master
    My own strategy is to leave them on a north-facing windowsill, out of direct sunlight, all year round except when worn. I have 7 or 8 of them and it's enough to keep them going indefinitely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    My own strategy is to leave them on a north-facing windowsill, out of direct sunlight, all year round except when worn. I have 7 or 8 of them and it's enough to keep them going indefinitely.
    I've only got two - both resin-cased G-shocks - and do much the same. The oldest (GW-300) was purchased in 2006 or thereabouts and still keeps its charge well.

Grand Master
    I have three, a seiko, a citizen and a g shock, they are in a glass topped watchbox on my bedside table and seem to pick up enough from my bedside lamp to keep them topped up
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Wink Solar watches. No Problems.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Ditto.
    I only have 6 the oldest being at least ten years old and have had no problems with any of them apart from one watch where the day night indicator has faded from red/black to white/black. All keep time within spec's.
    More may follow

Master
    You are probably right, but I do worry that my solar watches left in strong summer sunshine do get hot to the touch - I can't help thinking this may not be a good idea, though I may be worrying unnecessarily!. If you wear them in the same conditions they don't seem to get so hot. I do leave them in bright conditions to keep charged (after all, I do live in NE England where sunny warm conditions aren't that common!), but don't put them in the Summer sun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    You are probably right, but I do worry that my solar watches left in strong summer sunshine do get hot to the touch - I can't help thinking this may not be a good idea, though I may be worrying unnecessarily!. If you wear them in the same conditions they don't seem to get so hot. I do leave them in bright conditions to keep charged (after all, I do live in NE England where sunny warm conditions aren't that common!), but don't put them in the Summer sun.
    When I picked these up after 4 or 5 hours they were cool to the touch. Not remotely hot. I think this is ok in North Norfolk, maybe not in Arizona!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mrs has an eco drive and leaves it out to catch the rays - unfortunately because it is not with her others she never wears it!

I've had the big eco drive divers and solar Seiko divers but won't buy any more as I like to keep my watches in dark storage and they become a nuisance.

I do check my quartzes every six months or so to check on the batteries though. Found one that needed a battery change that hadn't been worn since the last change.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Cheers !

Master
    If people are that worried about overheating leave them in a glass of water whilst sunning them.

I often leave mine on the bedroom windowsill (West facing) and mine ate all fine. The oldest being an old Citizen diver which must be 26+ years old and still going strong. I have never had a solar watch go wrong. I feel they are the ultimate in reliability and accuracy. Had a few ProTreks, Seiko Solar, Citizen’s and all have been faultless.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Cheers !

Super cool shot with the reflection of the sky!!

Craftsman
    I have six Seiko Solars (really like them..) and never remotely worry about it. They sit in a clear top watch box for most of the time without any direct sunlight just normal room daylight and all are fine.

Some of the worry may be from the earlier days of solar watches. I bought my first in the 1990s (Citizen Promaster titanium GMT, quite lovely it was) and thought it was so good I convinced my parents to get a solar watch each too.

My Citizen stopped holding a charge after about 5 years, and my parents' watches also stopped working. As mine was a one-piece case it wasn't trivial to replace the cell either, so I gave it to someone on here. I decided that in an era of mercury-free 10-year batteries, it was at least as "eco" to just get one with a replaceable cell.

I believe Citizen used to put the lifespan of their rechargeable cells at around 10-20 years, but now state about 40 years. Probably sufficient for most.