closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Back removal

Back removal

A quick one.....

Got a cheap quartz bike clock i can't get back off to change battery. Does it look like threaded or pop-free? Not any gap to get a blade in.
    If screw-off - hints?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

As there are no indents for a tool, I doubt that it's screw off.

If you run a nail round the edge is it possible that a thin blade could get in all round the back rather than having a specific indent to get in on one place?

I've replaced the battery on my Oxford bike clock a couple of times but that's a simple 4 philips screws to get the back off then a miniscule screw that looks like a dust particle that keeps the battery in place

Thanks for that - will see if I can grip it such that said blade doesn't require a trip to A&E

I have one of those blunt-ish blades for watch backs, but it was too blunt I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Thanks for that - will see if I can grip it such that said blade doesn't require a trip to A&E

I have one of those blunt-ish blades for watch backs, but it was too blunt I think.
    I suspect you'll need one sharp enough that when it inevitable goes through the palm of your hand, it will leave a nice clean cut.

I had a quick look on youtube and there are loads of people removing similar backs with stanley knives and fine screwdrivers, slipping all over the place. Amazed I've not witnessed someone losing a finger.

Chainmail butchers gloves might be the answer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-R.../dp/B01ABW7SOM

Or a new clock (I've got a spare in the garage I could send you if it all goes horribly wrong)

I suspect in general the manufacturing cost is less than the cost of getting the battery replaced by a jeweller, so ongoing maintenance isn't high on the list of design priorities

Again, thanks!

I'll have a stab (see what I did there) with a stanley, but will see how it looks/feels first.

I have a local watch service/retailer - who only charged me £5 per watch battery installed, a year ago............. Worth throwing a fiver at.

Thanks for the offer of your spare, but I have a fall-back digital one - just prefer the analogue.

Now - where's that first aid kit?

Seems like the one I have in the garage is identical.

So identical it also has a flat battery.

Back came off very easily with a Stanley knife though

It is the same, indeed.

Back now off, and internals as you show them. Takes a 377a battery, so ordered a couple up.

Thanks again.