closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punish illegal driving after the event??

Punish illegal driving after the event??

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Some very intemperate comments from a lot of people here.

FWIW I think the OP may be over reacting a little.

It wasn't sensible (or legal) on the SIL's part, but I'm not sure it justifies involving the police.

If you can't discuss this with your SIL (or your wife can't), you probably shouldn't be trusting her with you children at all.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    I’m broadly in agreement with this statement. Nobody came to harm - thank goodness - just make sure your kids aren’t exposed to the same danger again. I have to admit it wouldn’t have crossed my mind for a second to get the police involved, the bit about buying written off cars is a red flag and shows an inherent lack of awareness of the danger on the roads. Just don’t let the kids travel in a car with them again, end of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 31st May 2021 at 10:20.

How times have changed. When I was young (1970's) I used to be a passenger in a van with sliding doors that were always open, no seatbelts either. At the time it was quite normal. Even the Labrador sat next to me.

I can see your point though. Just don't take them there again if you feel so annoyed.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Chill out, travelled my whole life as a child in cars without seat belts.
    Are you familiar with the concept of survival bias? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

Master
    Chill out, travelled my whole life as a child in cars without seat belts.

Same as me, we used to go to football when we were u11s in a transit van. 15 lads with no seats in the back in the dark.

Great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Are you familiar with the concept of survival bias? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
    Best never get in a plane to go on holiday then.

Just because Darwin did not do its job with some of us does not entitle you to brag about it and try again.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Same as me, we used to go to football when we were u11s in a transit van. 15 lads with no seats in the back in the dark.

Great memories.
    When my grandparents took me for day trips my grandad was in the front and I was in the back with my gran. I used the pull down arm rest as my ‘perch’. One day he had to emergency brake and some how he managed to stick his arm across the front to stop me crashing through the front windscreen.

What I don’t get now is bikes. Round our way the fashion is to stick kids in a very expensive but incredibly unsafe wooden boxes on the front of a bike. Or towed the behind exactly at wheel level for an SUV or truck to drive over. I don’t understand why there are rules to protect kids when in cars (which are inherently safer than bikes, still good!) but none when on a parents bike. My friend has £10seat bolted on the back of an old bike that has almost certainly never been serviced, crazy!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Just because Darwin did not do its job with some of us does not entitle you to brag about it and try again.
    But it absolutely does Marc, when you think about it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    When my grandparents took me for day trips my grandad was in the front and I was in the back with my gran. I used the pull down arm rest as my ‘perch’. One day he had to emergency brake and some how he managed to stick his arm across the front to stop me crashing through the front windscreen.

What I don’t get now is bikes. Round our way the fashion is to stick kids in a very expensive but incredibly unsafe wooden boxes on the front of a bike. Or towed the behind exactly at wheel level for an SUV or truck to drive over. I don’t understand why there are rules to protect kids when in cars (which are inherently safer than bikes, still good!) but none when on a parents bike. My friend has £10seat bolted on the back of an old bike that has almost certainly never been serviced, crazy!
    People with kids on bikes probably only do 10-12mph ... so not as much risk compared to a car doing 70-90mph.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    People with kids on bikes probably only do 10-12mph ... so not as much risk compared to a car doing 70-90mph.
    But lorries doing 30mph (and sometimes more) 2cm from the kids head! I appreciate we need legislation for kids in cars but wonder if some is needed for them on bikes? Perhaps obligatory helmets?

Master
    Blog Entries
    But lorries doing 30mph (and sometimes more) 2cm from the kids head! I appreciate we need legislation for kids in cars but wonder if some is needed for them on bikes? Perhaps obligatory helmets?
    What we need is for people to drive vehicles safely there is already plenty of legislation that requires that.

Many more kids killed as pedestrians than on adults bikes.

Master
    Obligatory helmets for all cyclists seems to me a quick-win for safety. It is beyond me why cyclists wouldn't wear a helmet.

Master
    What we need is for people to drive vehicles safely there is already plenty of legislation that requires that.

Many more kids killed as pedestrians than on adults bikes.
    Absolutely, some shocking drivers, I’d say in whatever we do as humans there’s broadly the same ratio of idiots to non-idiots. In the same we protect kids in cars it seems reasonable to try to do the same if they’re on a bike.

Fine, if you think they’re safe, great, so be it. I don’t cycle much due to terrible drivers. And I certainly wouldn’t take one of my sons with me. But, if for unforeseen reason I had to I’d at least make sure I spent the same on a bike seat as a car seat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Obligatory helmets for all cyclists seems to me a quick-win for safety. It is beyond me why cyclists wouldn't wear a helmet.
    Let’s not have the cycle helmet debate, Google it for the pros and cons.

The safety for cyclists and pedestrians (and the ops kids loose in the back seat) is in the hands of motorists. Everyone drive safely and we will all be fine.

Master
    Let’s not have the cycle helmet debate, Google it for the pros and cons.

The safety for cyclists and pedestrians (and the ops kids loose in the back seat) is in the hands of motorists. Everyone drive safely and we will all be fine.
    I'm not having a debate - simply stating my view. I have a cousin who almost died after been knocked off his cycle, I have vivid memories 25 years ago visiting him in brain rehabilitation units. The experts have said that a helmet would have hugely reduced the life changing injuries he suffered. That said, I did as you suggested and briefly Googled the cons of wearing a cycle helmet - to put it mildly the arguments are unconvincing.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    to put it mildly the arguments are unconvincing.
    I don't think it's just 'arguments' - there is empirical research to support both positions. The facts seem to be that helments help in the event of accidents, but also make accidents more likely (people drive more recklessly near 'protected' cyclists).

I did start a thread many moons ago in the Bear Pit about cycling insurance and should it be mandatory, that turned into a driver v cycling battle a lot like this one is heading.,

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I did start a thread many moons ago in the Bear Pit about cycling insurance and should it be mandatory, that turned into a driver v cycling battle a lot like this one is heading.,
    Worth pointing out that most adult cyclists are likely drivers too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Yeah, those types of subject along with helmet compulsion, registration, toad tax (which does not exist) all just flush out the rabid anti cycling brigade. So it’s not worth the effort.

Yeah, those types of subject along with helmet compulsion, registration, toad tax (which does not exist) all just flush out the rabid anti cycling brigade. So it’s not worth the effort.
    Yeh I’ve never heard of toad tax either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Lol. You’d get a similarly sensible discussion over toad tax with Daily Fail readers as you would with road tax etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

Just for Amphibious vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Why not?
    I think he might have missed the point somewhat.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.