closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air Conditioning Unit

Hybrid View

Air Conditioning Unit

Wife wants me to get one as our house is south facing with a lot of glazing and was unbearably hot during the last heat wave.

I have fitted vertical blinds to all the doors and Venetian blinds to all the windows, but She just wants to have one room, probably the lounge, which is cool on the hot summer days. Fair enough.

It’s a bit of a minefield knowing which unit to go for, so I thought you lot might offer some help?

I’ve looked at the Which? reviews, which have the AEG Chillflex and he DeLonghi models at the top, and those same models are on the AO list in link below.

The confusion is that some seem to say they have a 700w to 1000w output and others are 2200-2800w but they all seem to have similar BTU output ratings. Confusing!

Anyone have a first hand recommendation for one that’s good and quiet?

Also, I assume going for a smaller 9000btu one over a 12000btu one, just means it’ll take a little longer to cool a room?

https://ao.com/l/search/101/99/?sear...%20Conditioner

In the Middle room we used an LG Artcool, looks ok and never missed a beat

We have something similar for the lounge, they are pretty effective, having a hose dangling out of the window is a pain though, and non of them are quiet.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I just bought this one purely because it was very cheap. It works well though and delivery was next day: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...btu/dp/HG01049

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We have something similar for the lounge, they are pretty effective, having a hose dangling out of the window is a pain though, and non of them are quiet.
    Plus One...they can be very loud some of them.

I came under pressure last year to get one - but I was put off by the noise issue.

Thanks guys. Handy tips.

We have two circular hit/miss grilles in our lounge (wood burner regs) so I was planning to take one of those off during summer and shove the exhaust pipe out through that hole. Ought to work perfectly.

I think we can sleep ok in the bedroom when it’s hot, but nice to have a room in the house that’s cool during the mega hot days.

Looking like going for one of the AEG ones.

https://www.aeg.co.uk/vacuums-home-c...r/axp26u338cw/
    Last edited by mr noble; 29th May 2021 at 19:52.

Think the discrepancy between BTUs and Watts is because the compressor cycles on and off as required.

Obviously the BTU relates to the cooling capacity while a low Wattage unit is hopefully more efficient.

If your house is south facing with lots of glazing you’ll get good results with sun shades too- AC will be great but to keep it cool keep the sun out .

Blog Entries
    Are the prices of these, plus installation cyclical, ie if I were to buy during the winter would I get a better price than the summer? I've been meaning to get an air con unit for the lady 3 summers but every. Tone I come to buy one installers are booked out and prices high and so I never bother.