closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebel "Miami Vice" arrived.

Ebel "Miami Vice" arrived.

I always wanted this watch. I knew it wears just as small as Daytona and I'm not a two-tone guy either. But this watch is different as it's a 80s icon. And everyone needs at least one dressy piece.

The El Primero high beat inside is just phenomenal.

Thanks fellow longtime watch community veteran Henk Hoving for great transaction and the watch (which is in beautiful condition).

I thought the Miami Vice watch was the standard automatic not a chronograph? Very nice watch I was not aware they could be found with the Zenith movement in them.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I thought the Miami Vice watch was the standard automatic not a chronograph? Very nice watch I was not aware they could be found with the Zenith movement in them.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My excuse is I was only a kid when this was out, you lot were a lot older

Yes it was this exact chronograph. First they used it with that wave band. Later came this link band. But it was full gold version.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    My excuse is I was only a kid when this was out, you lot were a lot older
    I bloody loved that show!

It's a dressy piece.

I bloody loved that show!
    Who knew? My favourite TV show of the Eighties. I’m seriously considering buying the 5 Season DVD box set as I can’t find all the seasons to stream anywhere. Season 1 comes up every now and then.

Lovely watch OP. Push up your jacket sleeves, crank up the Phil Collins and fire up the Testarossa.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Who knew? My favourite TV show of the Eighties. I’m seriously considering buying the 5 Season DVD box set as I can’t find all the seasons to stream anywhere. Season 1 comes up every now and then.

Lovely watch OP. Push up your jacket sleeves, crank up the Phil Collins and fire up the Testarossa.
    Haha I'm a Genesis fan but I wish I could afford a Testarossa.

Master
    Very nice looking chrono!

Miami Vice was the coolest show on telly when I was a youngster in the late 80’s. A group of us used to go out around the pubs in pastel coloured t-shirts and jackets. Great days but my father thought I looked ridiculous in my white jacket and that I was off out selling ice cream.

The watch I recall Crockett wearing was the gold Rolex Day/Date and it looked fantastic. Did the Ebel come before or after the Rolex?

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Haha I'm a Genesis fan but I wish I could afford a Testarossa.
    In case you wanted to hunt it down
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ri-testarossa/

Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    Very nice looking chrono!

Miami Vice was the coolest show on telly when I was a youngster in the late 80’s. A group of us used to go out around the pubs in pastel coloured t-shirts and jackets. Great days but my father thought I looked ridiculous in my white jacket and that I was off out selling ice cream.

The watch I recall Crockett wearing was the gold Rolex Day/Date and it looked fantastic. Did the Ebel come before or after the Rolex?

Cheers
    Neil
    Yeah he actually wore a fake Day-Date and then switched to Ebel in season 2.

Cheers.

Yeah he actually wore a fake Day-Date and then switched to Ebel in season 2.

Cheers.

It wasn’t the only fake on the show. So was the Ferrari Daytona.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Supposedly Ferrari donated the Testarossa in return for Michael Mann blowing up the Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Supposedly Ferrari donated the Testarossa in return for Michael Mann blowing up the Daytona.
    As explained in the link posted earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post

Ebel "Miami Vice" arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    As explained in the link posted earlier in the thread.
    Thanks. If only we’d all just gone and read that link we wouldn’t have had to waste our time carrying on reminiscing with our mates.
    Last edited by alfat33; 30th May 2021 at 09:16.

I wrote a small blog of the watch. It was fun to do and collected all trivia there. Enjoy!

https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.c...h-ref-1134901/

I wrote a small blog of the watch. It was fun to do and collected all trivia there. Enjoy!

That’s a really nice write up, thanks. You really are a superfan :). I hadn’t realised quite how big Ebel were.

I would say that two-tone metal watches are very fashionable at the moment as well.

That’s a really nice write up, thanks. You really are a superfan :). I hadn’t realised quite how big Ebel were.

I would say that two-tone metal watches are very fashionable at the moment as well.
    Thanks.

I was about 12-13 when the show started. I watched the episodes again just recently and was surprised how good they were. Sure there are some crappy ones but the show has stood the test of time very well.

About two-tone... I owned the Rolex 16613 once and I didn't feel comfortable with it. This 1911 chrono is different. The gold is not so much "in your face". I like it and after a while the smaller size doesn't matter, either.

Added this one. Ebel 1911 was almost twice as expensive as the Daytona back in 1996. At least in my country.

That is quite amazing considering the current Zenith Daytona prices and the dirt cheap 1911 chronograph prices (around 2K or even less).

The gold is not so much "in your face".
    totally agree, the gold acts more to highlight the detail. A great looking watch and a history I didn't know about. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. If only we’d all just gone and read that link we wouldn’t have had to waste our time carrying on reminiscing with our mates.
    Good shot that man
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    totally agree, the gold acts more to highlight the detail. A great looking watch and a history I didn't know about. Thanks for posting.
    You're welcome.

Actually I was always a fan of the series but my first experience of Ebel 1911 was because one of my friend's father owned one. Not this El Primero which was super expensive back then but just standard non-chronograph steel watch with the "wave band". I always thought the hexagon case shape and sleek design was very cool.

I learned only much later that the watch was used in Miami Vice.

Cheers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never been a fan of Ebel, but that is a really lovely looking and good quality watch. Enjoy :)

Thanks JonRa.

Shot this today at my summer home. Nevermind the date... I never bother with it as I change watches all the time.

Great read, thank you. I did own an Ebel three hander on a wave bracelet back in the nineties, and really liked it.

By the way, you forgot to add the case size to the specification at the end.

Great read, thank you. I did own an Ebel three hander on a wave bracelet back in the nineties, and really liked it.

By the way, you forgot to add the case size to the specification at the end.
    Oops. Thanks. Fixed. :)

Added this one. Ebel 1911 was almost twice as expensive as the Daytona back in 1996. At least in my country.

That is quite amazing considering the current Zenith Daytona prices and the dirt cheap 1911 chronograph prices (around 2K or even less).

Funny how designs age, I like the Ebel and definitely has the late 80s/90s design, whereas the Daytona has an almost timeless design that has really grown on me, unfortunately it has grown on everyone else too!

Ohh... how I wished I just walked into an AD and said - I’ll have that ZenithDaytona in the window your struggling to sell if I can have a discount!

I thought Daytona looked old even back in the nineties. I don't know if it's "timeless" any more than a TAG Monaco. It's just an iconic design which stays fresh because of all the hype. It wears very small and the long pushers even increase that feel.

Take an example from another industry. Mercedes G-Wagon is one of the most desirable car models and the design comes from the early seventies. It's not desirable because it has "timeless design", it's just iconic. My wife said it's just plain blocky and ugly. But she doesn't know anything about cars. I had to educate her and tell her that "oh that's the Mighty G-Wagon... it's not ugly but very expensive and all celebrities, hockey and football millionaires drive one". She looked to me like an idiot and said "to me it looks old and ugly". :D

But yes... two-tone is very eighties and 1911 chrono is definitely an eighties icon like Cartier Santos. But generally... now that nobody gets the steel models anymore from Rolex they're all forced to buy TT's. So maybe we can soon call it a "renaissance design" haha.
    Last edited by JPE; 31st May 2021 at 09:46.

I thought Daytona looked old even back in the nineties. I don't know if it's "timeless" any more than a TAG Monaco. It's just an iconic design which stays fresh because of all the hype. It wears very small and the long pushers even increase that feel.

Take an example from another industry. Mercedes G-Wagon is one of the most desirable car models and the design comes from the early seventies. It's not desirable because it has "timeless design", it's just iconic. My wife said it's just plain blocky and ugly. But she doesn't know anything about cars. I had to educate her and tell her that "oh that's the Mighty G-Wagon... it's not ugly but very expensive and all celebrities, hockey and football millionaires drive one". She looked to me like an idiot and said "to me it looks old and ugly". :D

But yes... two-tone is very eighties and 1911 chrono is definitely an eighties icon like Cartier Santos. But generally... now that nobody gets the steel models anymore from Rolex they're all forced to buy TT's. So maybe we can soon call it a "renaissance design" haha.
    Sounds like your wife summed it up perfectly, it’s not iconic or classic it just costs a lot of money (so it must be good) I do like two tone watches (but then I think I am getting old) the Ebel bracelet is certainly iconic and unique but I think I got a bit put off seeing loads of them for sale in the Sunday markets in Switzerland (along with Omega and Tissot)

Truly a beautiful time piece
    I wish I could get a Chronograph in 18ct Gold and leather

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app

I always wanted this watch. I knew it wears just as small as Daytona and I'm not a two-tone guy either. But this watch is different as it's a 80s icon. And everyone needs at least one dressy piece.

The El Primero high beat inside is just phenomenal.

Thanks fellow longtime watch community veteran Henk Hoving for great transaction and the watch (which is in beautiful condition).

How do I get this in 18ct Gold and leather ? Ebel is a Masterpiece I truly believe that and I know you do too. Can you help me find my grail watch

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using TZ-UK mobile app