closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adding a microadjust hole to Everest Clasp

Apprentice

Adding a microadjust hole to Everest Clasp

Hi all, I'm a new member here. I've owned three Everests, and sold the first two because of perceived shortcomings that have since been rectified (beveled hands, appropriately sized hands, bracelet). However, I could never quite get a good fit with the newest bracelet and its somewhat limited three microadjust holes. I had the exact same problem with my Tudor BB36, which I sent off to a local watchsmith to correct with no success. So I purchased a drill press, mounted my drill, bought 0.9mm tungsten bits and tried it myself. It worked well enough on the Tudor that I bought this most recent Everest and did the same. The only other mod necessary is to grind off the rivets on the closest link to the clasp, so it will fit inside. That's easy enough.

Anyway, I hope this is useful to someone. I can post the exact items I used and the setup if interested.

EDIT, I'm just making a small IMGUR album:

https://imgur.com/a/ZNKwp1l

Please ignore my messy workspace, I have two little kids and we have no babysitter :(
    Last edited by johnnywash1; 27th May 2021 at 19:40.

Useful mod, nicely done as well! I’ll bear that in mind for the future....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Great "MacGyver"ing!

It can be hard to get the right fit with some clasps. Seems like the clasp micro adjustments, as in the # of holes and spacing, should be somehow mathematically related to the size of the links in bracelet. I.e. fractions of the size of a link. I guess the the reality is custom designed clasps, other than logo's, to align with brackets adds cost.

Journeyman
    Well done. You inspired me to buy my own set of drill bits. I already have a dremel and dremel press.

Long ago, I did not care if a watch had butterfly clasps or clasps without micro adjustments, but now I disqualify bracelet watches that don't have a micro adjustable clasp. A bracelet has to perfectly fit IMO.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    Well done. You inspired me to buy my own set of drill bits. I already have a dremel and dremel press.

Long ago, I did not care if a watch had butterfly clasps or clasps without micro adjustments, but now I disqualify bracelet watches that don't have a micro adjustable clasp. A bracelet has to perfectly fit IMO.
    Totally agree about the bracelet, it's a dealbreaker for me. Wouldn't have been 20 years ago, but I was just a college kid then.

I would caution using a dremel, as slower speeds and intermittent pressure worked best for me. 0.9mm bits tend to break easily, at least the cheap ones I found.

Awsome!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywash1 View Post

I would caution using a dremel, as slower speeds and intermittent pressure worked best for me. 0.9mm bits tend to break easily, at least the cheap ones I found.
    Agree, unless the Dremel is the version with infinitely variable speed it’ll end badly, mine has set speeds and the slowest is way too fast for a task like this. Small drill bits are very easy to break.