closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone else not kept a watch given by their father

Journeyman

Anyone else not kept a watch given by their father

I was given this Rolex by my father. Wore it for a while and found that I couldn't see the hands clearly and watch was too small for me. Swapped it with a dealer as my wife fancied another Rolex and I then bought a Tudor BB41 to tide me over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the watch my Dad & Great Grandfather both left to me.

Both tiny & the Longiness is not a looker anyway in my view.

I don't wear either of them, but I've kept them.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I still have my dads Seiko 7t32 in bright yellow.

To be honest it's sat unworn for years now (I used to put it on quite a lot) but it is the last object I would ever part with.

Craftsman
    I'm not currently in this situation but if I were ever to inherit a watch that I didn't particularly like, I think I'd keep it anyway, to pass on down through the family. Liking (or not liking) something is very much a matter of personal taste and often fashion at the time. I wouldn't like to guess what kind of enjoyment my daughter (or her future children?) may get from wearing a watch that they absolutely love the look of and that used to belong to their grandfather.... or great grandfather.

Master
    My fathers watch sat in the drawer for 40 odd years before I had it serviced and hands re-lumed. Its too small IMO for me to wear but its nice to see it ticking sometimes... :0) I'd never sell it, but then if it was worth a lot of money and (which it isn't) who knows

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by redmonaco; 27th May 2021 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    I’ve have my late father’s Benson, it’s not worth anything sentimental value only. I wouldn’t sell it.

When my father died, he had an assortment of cheap old 80's and 90's watches which no longer worked and I threw those out. I did keep the Steinhart Ocean 1 that he wore for the last few years though.

Of course I have my late Dad's Hamilton.

Also have his Seiko, the blue dialled one on the left of the pic. Mine is right, we bought them at the same time in the '70's.

Also have my Great Uncle's early Poljot.

Watches are the best heirlooms as they are personal items worn every day.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

No, I've kept all of them, my grandfathers as well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    My fathers watch sat in the drawer for 40 odd years before I had it serviced and hands re-lumed. Its too small IMO for me to wear but its nice to see it ticking sometimes... :0) I'd never sell it, but then if it was worth a lot of money and (which it isn't) who knows

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad is still alive but I have all of my mums watches and would never part with them.
    She was a Tissot fan, the grey dial PRS516 had to be rebuilt by animalone of this parish after laying in parts for quite some time after she ran over it with a car. That one is my most valued watch.

Depends on your relationship with your father. Not all memories are happy memories.

However, I will never part with my grandfather's watch and have spent much more than its financial worth getting it running again.

My dad is thankfully still here but I have his Timex that he bought in 1984. Really need to get it fixed...... stem was loose and he tried to sort himself. Undid a screw and the whole movement ended up in quite a few bits. Everything is there, just needs putting together like a jigsaw 😂.

I know he has a couple of modern fashion watches that he doesn’t wear. Often joke why couldn’t he have been one of those dads that bought a few Rolex in the 70’s, Heuer or Omega and have them stashed in a drawer. He does remind me I will inherit his collection of air rifles though. Never fails to make me laugh.

I think it's all coming down to your personal opinion on sentimental stuff.

You might say to "honour" a watch from a father/grandfather etc you need to keep it somewhere safe no matter what.
    Just like you could say that if you're never going to wear it and the value is high, one might argue it's not worth keeping it, do something else with the money, as long as you don't forget where does it come from.

If you buy another watch with the funds and when looking at it, you think about the link with your dad, I don't see how it would not be as "respectful" and meaningful as keeping his actual watch but not wear it...

Personally I'm keeping my dad's watch, I wear it sometimes, and it will never go anywhere. But that's an old chrono, with a low value on the market.
    There would be no point selling it even if I had financial issues.
    For a rolex that's worth thousands of pounds, it's a bit more complicated than that I think...

I don't reckon you're going to hear many people answer yes to your question, but the only thing mattering is the emotional link with your dad, if it matters to you. Which watch is on your wrist is only secondary

Never trusted them.

I still have this which my parents bought for my 18th, but my father had a two tone Rolex Oyster Perpetual which he'd owned for 20+ years. When he retired he decided to sell it as he wasn't wearing it anymore. He was offered £1,300 from Austin Kaye but said I could have it for £500 instead. I didn't have that kind of money and wasn't into watches back in the 90s so I declined. Whilst two tone watches aren't my thing, I really regret not buying it as he sadly passed away in 2009 and it would have been nice to wear it and think of him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sish101; 27th May 2021 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never trusted them.
    Who ?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Who ?

Simon
    Priests.

Given to me by my father in law, really love it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Given to me by my father in law, really love it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Also this one by this wife

Journeyman
    For a number of reasons, I had no sentimental attachment to my dads Rolex and was happy to exchange it for another one for my wife. He is 91 and very much still alive. My mother had a very nice gold Bueche Girod watch with a mother of pearl dial, which is now with my sister. Mum is also still with us, although very much suffering from Alzheimers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing that always goes through my mind when I consider selling a watch is 'if I saw it for sale again, would I buy it?' The answer is nearly always 'yes!', so I nearly always don't end up selling. Massively so if it were my father's watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    I was given this Rolex by my father. Wore it for a while and found that I couldn't see the hands clearly and watch was too small for me. Swapped it with a dealer as my wife fancied another Rolex and I then bought a Tudor BB41 to tide me over.
    I inherited a Seamaster Pro, a Tag 2000 and a Tissot Seastar from my father.

The Omega I bought him, the Tag my mother bought for him with me when I was eight and the Tissot he inherited from his father. I do wear the SMP occasionally, but the other two are just too small for me. But I’d never sell or otherwise dispose of them. My sons will inherit them and hopefully will have the same sentiment (though I would like them to wear them if they suit them at all).

So I suppose the short answer is no.

Master
    I was given a Smiths watch by my parents as a small boy, but some scrote stole it from my coat pocket in a changing room at school a couple of years later. Must have been a tiny thing. A "boy's watch". I well remember the loud tinkle of the movement on my bedside table, and checking the luminous hands early on Christmas mornings, to see if it was time to get up yet. But I haven't seen it for over half a century now.

I do have two watches that belonged to my Dad, both of which I inherited after his death in the '90s. This one, which had been presented to him by the company he worked for, for long service:

And this one, which I'd given to him myself in the '80s. When I got it back a few years later the bracelet was on its last legs and the crystal was near opaque with scratches. It came up nicely with a bit of Brasso.

No, it's the other way for me, my estranged father was given a Rolex on his retirement after a lifetime driving wagons. He claims he lost it somewhere. I think he gave it to someone. I would have liked to have had it and pass it on through the family. His work ethic may was laudable and that watch represented it to me.

Craftsman
    I have my great grandads pocket watch and chain. I get it out every couple of years and give it a wind. Would never consider selling it and it will be passed to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it, along with my Panerai bought by my wife for our wedding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife's mother just died and she wants to get the stones removed from a diamond and ruby 40th wedding anniversary ring of theirs and reset into something modern she will wear all the time as she would simply never wear it as it's currently set, even if resized

I think that's actually quite a nice thing to do rather than leaving it in a drawer.

I'm of a similar mind. I'm likely to inherit a diamond dial two tone DJ and I wonder if it would be better exchanged for something I will wear and look at every single day, rather than something I will only wear a couple of times a year.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    One thing that always goes through my mind when I consider selling a watch is 'if I saw it for sale again, would I buy it?' The answer is nearly always 'yes!', so I nearly always don't end up selling. Massively so if it were my father's watch.
    My fathers 16013 Bi-metal with champagne dial is a watch I would never buy again, also was not a fan of the cyclops.

I've kept all of them... my favourite is an Omega De Ville, gorgeous

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have my dad's Seiko 5 ... will never sell it.

I have two of my grandad's watches ... the first I have had restored/serviced and would never sell. The second I never saw him wear and has little equity to me so I keep thinking I should sell it because I will never wear it ... but I have not as it's probably worth little and I worry maybe I'd regret selling it in the future. So it remains in the safe gathering dust.

Omega Seamaster – 1965 – Grandad’s Watch

Omega Seamaster – 1984 – Grandad’s Watch

I bought my father a Seiko 5 stainless steel watch with bracelet in 1979/80 I think maybe earlier. He died in 2000 and my niece claimed it. Well asked for it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My dad received a gold longines for his 21st. Nothing extravagant but my grandparents probably pushed the boat out a bit.

He gave it me when I was still at school. Foolish move.

My girlfriend at the time borrowed it and apparently play fought with some lad in her year, resulting in a snapped lug.

They are married now, and father took the watch back. Pushing 50 and still haven't plucked up the nerve to ask for it back.

I restored my grandfather's watch a few years back and will keep it in a safe place.... I didn't get to keep my father's... after I serviced it he asked for it back and he has not taken it off since lol.... so a equally good outcome 👍

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I restored my grandfather's watch a few years back and will keep it in a safe place.... I didn't get to keep my father's... after I serviced it he asked for it back and he has not taken it off since lol.... so a equally good outcome 
    Great that he is still around.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I'll never part ways with my grandads Wostok, and have only worn it once on my wedding day. If it was a watch that was worth some money however, I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with swapping it for something that I would wear more often, as I would probably be reminded of him more often when looking at the new watch.

Sent using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes and regretted it ever since.