closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panerai Service Centre cock up………

Master

Panerai Service Centre cock up………

Picked up my 250 after its service earlier today, got it home first thing I did? Yep you guessed it changed the strap :-) in the process of changing it noticed the case back was completely loose, you could turn it with no effort at all. My question is how did they carry out there final tests, pressure etc…with the caseback not screwed on properly?

Sounds like classic Richemont QC to me.

Master
    You’re probably right, I’d understand a bit of fluff under the crystal, but leaving the case back virtually undone not good, it’s like changing the brakes on a car and not putting the wheels back on! TBF luckily I noticed it straight away, imagine the hassle I would of had if I had gotten it wet……….

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    My question is how did they carry out there final tests, pressure etc…with the caseback not screwed on properly?
    Probably pressure tested without movement in case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Probably pressure tested without movement in case.
    Didn’t know you could do that, presumed the movement would of been in when tested- Then again I know bugger all about watch servicing… :-)

Chris is right, most likely tested without the movement in the case. However for your assurance you need to make sure the case back gasket is in place and that it's tightened and tested again.

Didn’t know you could do that, presumed the movement would of been in when tested- Then again I know bugger all about watch servicing… :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Chris is right, most likely tested without the movement in the case. However for your assurance you need to make sure the case back gasket is in place and that it's tightened and tested again.
    Contacting them tomorrow, will see what they say. Just doesn’t give me much confidence if they can make a basic mistake like this.

That they don’t appear to have a check sheet for each watch they service or repair - speaks volumes.

I’d be very unhappy if it was mine. I assume it will have to go back to make sure seals are properly in place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That they don’t appear to have a check sheet for each watch they service or repair - speaks volumes.
    Extremely worrying, 550 quid for the service and they can’t even get the basics right, you would think someone has to sign it off, last thing on the sheet tighten the flaming caseback…………..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    I’d be very unhappy if it was mine. I assume it will have to go back to make sure seals are properly in place.
    That’s what I’m thinking- I’m going to push for a full inspection of the work, if the technician is capable of cocking up the basics then what else has he missed. I know it’s all ifs, buts and maybes, I’m glad that I spotted it straight away, rather than down the line.

Back off, quick squirt of WD40, that’s £550 please! - oops, forgot to screw the back on!
    I hope you get it sorted - I had to return a Panerai after service as they’d used the wrong loctite on the strap bars and the AD couldn’t budge them to re-fit the strap. Turnaround to rectify was less than a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Lol, I know :-) they’ve probably got one guy that has the responsibility to put the back, you can imagine the discussion, we gave you one simple job and you’ve even cocked that up……..

TBF they quoted 6 weeks was ready in 4, then again always amazes me the long lead times watch companies quote, remember sending in my Seamaster for a simple service, took 8 weeks !

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Back off, quick squirt of WD40, that’s £550 please! - oops, forgot to screw the back on!
    I hope you get it sorted - I had to return a Panerai after service as they’d used the wrong loctite on the strap bars and the AD couldn’t budge them to re-fit the strap. Turnaround to rectify was less than a week.

Watch and owner requiring lube

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    ....quick squirt of WD40, that’s £550 please!

Take an look at the vid on this thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Perpetual-Date

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Sounds like classic Richemont QC to me.
    This and only this. Sounds like they sent your watch to the same farmer hobbyist Adi's Porsche ended up at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Take an look at the vid on this thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Perpetual-Date
    That was interesting, thanks- Good to see how intricate servicing a watch can be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This and only this. Sounds like they sent your watch to the same farmer hobbyist Adi's Porsche ended up at.
    Lol your probably right, I’ll probably get we don’t see too many 250’s so decided to send it to ‘Fred in a Shed’ down the road, he’s changed a few Casio batteries so felt he was qualified enough…..

I had the standard response today, we’ll have to inspect it before we comment any further, which is fair enough- At the end of the day everyone makes mistakes, it’s how you deal with them that matters.

Master
    Update:

Visited the London Boutique this afternoon: Spoke to the Service Manager who insisted that the watchmaker wouldn’t leave the caseback loose, just kept repeating the same thing, had a real funny attitude, i did ask if the WM hadn’t left it loose who had? No apologies, nothing. She then reneged on the promise of a loan watch whilst it was away being checked ( even though her colleague hadn’t agreed to loan me one in a call yesterday) I’m not one to kick up a fuss and will always put my point across politely, but she had a strange way of looking at things, customer always wrong etc….

Cut long story short Branch Manager got involved, within 5 minutes I was out of the door with a Pam 90 and a promise of a quick turnaround for my watch. The Branch Manager was excellent, actually listened and you could see he was genuinely surprised with what had happened. Ridiculous really as the SM made me feel like i was asking something out of the ordinary, like it was my fault id noticed the case back was loose.

Loan watch always reminds me of the Tai Mi Shu debacle…I can’t understand the point, it’s not your watch and we don’t really need a loan watch like we’d need a loan car.

Reading your story, I’d ditch Panerai straight away. Sounds like a completely different experience to owning an Omega, Tudor or Rolex…all I’ve had excellent service which makes you feel justified for investing in a high quality watch.

Loan watch always reminds me of the Tai Mi Shu debacle…I can’t understand the point, it’s not your watch and we don’t really need a loan watch like we’d need a loan car.

Reading your story, I’d ditch Panerai straight away. Sounds like a completely different experience to owning an Omega, Tudor or Rolex…all I’ve had excellent service which makes you feel justified for investing in a high quality watch.
    Agree with the first point totally.
    Second point is a little silly. OP’s decision but really self defeating to ditch something based on one poor experience. My experience with Panerai boutiques has been excellent.

Master
    Always had brilliant service from Omega AD and other premium brand watch boutiques- The way I look at it these places are only as good as the staff, maybe I caught her on a bad day, but if she’s like that all the time definitely in the wrong profession, TBF when dealing with their concierge service they were brilliant, only ordered a rubber strap but went out their way to try and help.

The service centre has cocked up, these things happen, all she had to do was apologise rather than go on the defensive, just irked me a tad with the ‘not our fault’ attitude- We’re all human and can all make mistakes, it’s how you deal with them that counts.

To me a loan watch was important, for the first time in 30 years I’m down to one watch.

Let’s hope I’m not waiting weeks on end before it’s back.
    Last edited by Rob153; 31st May 2021 at 18:15.

Make sure that loan watch needs servicing when it goes back ,they may realise how poor there service centre can be at times .

There is a story to be had for pretty much all of the higher end brands, no reason to shun any of them.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Make sure that loan watch needs servicing when it goes back ,they may realise how poor there service centre can be at times .

Oh the irony :-) like I’ve said it was the blatant ‘we couldn’t of made a mistake’ attitude that stank, you’ve cocked up just deal with it, these things happen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    There is a story to be had for pretty much all of the higher end brands, no reason to shun any of them.
    That’s my view on it, if we decided not to deal with companies that made mistakes there wouldn’t be many left to buy from :-)

Shame about the attitude you received. It's an odd position for her to take. I'd be asking if she agreed the case back is loose, and if so is she implying you opened the watch just for the joy of sending a fully serviced watch back to the service centre again a few days after receiving it back?

Got to wonder how some of these folk ended up with customer facing jobs sometimes..!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Shame about the attitude you received. It's an odd position for her to take. I'd be asking if she agreed the case back is loose, and if so is she implying you opened the watch just for the joy of sending a fully serviced watch back to the service centre again a few days after receiving it back?

Got to wonder how some of these folk ended up with customer facing jobs sometimes..!
    I was going to say exactly that, stopped myself as it just seemed argumentative, trust me it was difficult not to get into an argument with her. I’ve since found out someone I know had an equally difficult time with her, in a similar black and white problem. Don’t get me wrong she wasn’t rude but definitely a strange attitude to a blatant cock up by them.

Grand Master
    Good old Panerai, you gotta love them
    RIAC

Master
    Just thought I’d update the thread:

Watch has been away 3.5 weeks, left 3 messages over the last couple of days for a callback just for an update. Finally spoke to someone today who told me it was ready a week ago and no-one had bothered to ring me. Asked what had been done and got the reply we’ve checked the water resistance and that’s it.

When I dropped it off I was promised that the work would be throughly inspected by a different watch maker at the service centre, I’d receive detailed notes on what they found, also I’d get a printout of it being timed etc…. I queried this today and she said it’d have to get sent back to get what I’d requested and been promised.

The suspicious part me is wondering whether they just had their in-house watchmaker screw the back on and that’s it……..

I'm a big Panerai fan but honestly that's just awful. I aspire to owning one but this doesn't fill me with confidence.

Watch has been away 3.5 weeks, left 3 messages over the last couple of days for a callback just for an update. Finally spoke to someone today who told me it was ready a week ago and no-one had bothered to ring me. Asked what had been done and got the reply we’ve checked the water resistance and that’s it.

When I dropped it off I was promised that the work would be throughly inspected by a different watch maker at the service centre, I’d receive detailed notes on what they found, also I’d get a printout of it being timed etc…. I queried this today and she said it’d have to get sent back to get what I’d requested and been promised.

The suspicious part me is wondering whether they just had their in-house watchmaker screw the back on and that’s it……..

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. A sorry tail indeed. Sadly Panerai is not alone - I remember a well know maker marking up the sides of my less than 2 week old watch after having it regulated as it was running out of specification - ok it was Friday afternoon but still. And a Brietling being sent for a service - getting it back and it was still 'DOA' on return.

But customer service really should improve else yes, as customers, we will walk away.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Woeful. What have you decided to do? Have it sent back to the service centre again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'm a big Panerai fan but honestly that's just awful. I aspire to owning one but this doesn't fill me with confidence.
    To be fair this was my first one, always admired them and only took the plunge this year, hopefully they’ll get their arse in gear and sort it out…..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Oh dear. A sorry tail indeed. Sadly Panerai is not alone - I remember a well know maker marking up the sides of my less than 2 week old watch after having it regulated as it was running out of specification - ok it was Friday afternoon but still. And a Brietling being sent for a service - getting it back and it was still 'DOA' on return.

But customer service really should improve else yes, as customers, we will walk away.
    Like I said earlier in the thread, mistakes happen it’s inevitable- sounds like you’ve had a right run of mistakes over the years :-) considering the Boutique is the U.K. supposedly flagship store I’d of expected them to bend over backwards to make sure they sorted my problem out, especially the basic nature of the mistake. More fool me……

How many people will just vote with their feet and never return to the brand….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Woeful. What have you decided to do? Have it sent back to the service centre again?
    Can’t see another option, even the manager on my previous visit said it’d have to go back, gave me all the spiel how the work will be gone over again, timings provided, report etc….

I’m not one to shout and scream but I was close today, when she said all they’ve done is check it’s water resistance, nothing else done that was promised.

I’m waiting on a callback from him, guess I’ll find out then…

Master
    F*** me, that is terrible.

Craftsman
    You’re probably right, I’d understand a bit of fluff under the crystal, but leaving the case back virtually undone not good, it’s like changing the brakes on a car and not putting the wheels back on! TBF luckily I noticed it straight away, imagine the hassle I would of had if I had gotten it wet……….
    This reminds me of when my Audi dealer gave my car back to me without the oil cap on. I found out a week later when the check engine light came on and I realized I had no oil left.

Can’t see another option, even the manager on my previous visit said it’d have to go back, gave me all the spiel how the work will be gone over again, timings provided, report etc….

I’m not one to shout and scream but I was close today, when she said all they’ve done is check it’s water resistance, nothing else done that was promised.

I’m waiting on a callback from him, guess I’ll find out then…
    I would seriously consider writing to higher management. This is a really shocking story. I would reference this thread as an example of why this type of service has massive outsized impact on their brand and reputation.

Hot tip - I use LinkedIn to find executives (such as COO) and connect and/or email them. It has yielded great results, and they're usually extremely thankful. The branch manager might not like it when the hammer drops from 30k feet but sometimes it needs to be done.
    Last edited by tricktock; 22nd June 2021 at 02:30.

Master
    I have had only two causes to return a watch to Panerai and in both cases they were excellent. Perhaps a little slow but not terribly so. It is the inconsistency that puts me off, and why I am more inclined towards the older tackle that can he serviced by a competent independent watchmaker.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'll play devils advocate and say, behind the scenes, I think they'll be rolling their eyes at an awkward customer. Watch was serviced, error made but no harm done, customer gets a loan watch and the issue is rectified in less than a month by tightening the case back and testing the previously fully serviced watch for water resistance. Even though there is now no issue with the watch, he's still complaining that he wants detailed technical notes on his watch and some kind of proof who worked on it...something that is not part of normal procedures.

I'd say a large proportion of customers would be content with the current outcome - they have a working watch with secure caseback.

Not justifying Panerai, their service seems dreadful compared to Swatch or Rolex, but I reckon that's what is being thought.

Master
    Awkward customer?

From the beginning I’ve been extremely patient and accommodating-

Brief outline:
    1. Watch was given back to me with the case back loose.
    2. Dropped it back straight away to them, even though they offered to send a courier to do an exchange.
    3. Service Manager kept denying that they would have left the case back like that and was basically rude and condescending.
    4. No paperwork detailing what they had actually done to the watch.
    5. No timings showing the performance of it after the service.
    6. They didn’t even bother to ring me even though it had been ready for a week( someone dropped it originally in on my behalf originally, they reckon they called him, not the case no call at all)
    7. I’ve never asked proof of WHO worked on it.
    8. Promises made and not carried out.
    9. Loan watch was offered by them when I called, then tried back trap when I visited the Boutique.

When I revisited the boutique I asked if the work would be inspected, if whoever was capable of leaving the back loose then what else had they missed. I think that’s a question we all would ask? Boutique Manager said this would be done as a matter of course, also he couldn’t understand why I hadn’t received paperwork detailing the timing after the service, again he promised that this would all be done and available to me.

I’ve just cut a long story short but I’m sorry but I really don’t understand how I could be deemed a ‘awkward customer’ ? I’ve paid for a service that hasn’t or not been carried out correctly, I’ve been patient, not kicked off so to speak, now they haven’t done what was promised by the Manager. I’ve said quite a few times that mistakes happen, I work in an industry where it happens frequently so I know it just doesn’t get you anywhere to make a song and dance about it.

I’m interested, what would you have done in my position?

I'll play devils advocate and say, behind the scenes, I think they'll be rolling their eyes at an awkward customer. Watch was serviced, error made but no harm done, customer gets a loan watch and the issue is rectified in less than a month by tightening the case back and testing the previously fully serviced watch for water resistance. Even though there is now no issue with the watch, he's still complaining that he wants detailed technical notes on his watch and some kind of proof who worked on it...something that is not part of normal procedures.

I'd say a large proportion of customers would be content with the current outcome - they have a working watch with secure caseback.

Not justifying Panerai, their service seems dreadful compared to Swatch or Rolex, but I reckon that's what is being thought.
    Last edited by Rob153; 22nd June 2021 at 10:17.

Master
    One things for sure, I’ll never be using Panerai to service anything again-

I can see why people lean towards the older bits now, least if it goes to a recognised indie they know what they are doing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I have had only two causes to return a watch to Panerai and in both cases they were excellent. Perhaps a little slow but not terribly so. It is the inconsistency that puts me off, and why I am more inclined towards the older tackle that can he serviced by a competent independent watchmaker.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I can see where you are coming from but I’m not one to start firing off letters, emails etc… I would expected them to honour what they promised and just deal it.

I’ll wait and see what happens today and decide if I want to pursue it further. Think the BM has just been let down by the SC and his Service manager.

Quote Originally Posted by tricktock View Post
    This reminds me of when my Audi dealer gave my car back to me without the oil cap on. I found out a week later when the check engine light came on and I realized I had no oil left.

I would seriously consider writing to higher management. This is a really shocking story. I would reference this thread as an example of why this type of service has massive outsized impact on their brand and reputation.

Hot tip - I use LinkedIn to find executives (such as COO) and connect and/or email them. It has yielded great results, and they're usually extremely thankful. The branch manager might not like it when the hammer drops from 30k feet but sometimes it needs to be done.

Sorry, wasn't saying you are in the wrong, I totally agree...the service is shocking.

From how they are acting, it is apparent they are doing bare minimum at every step to get you off their books and they are definitely trying to fob you off...promising one thing and then doing another.

I would be doing the same as you and if not getting the results I want, I'd be gradually escalating to the point where I highlight the negative publicity this could cause on watch forums (but use that as a last resort).

I hate to bring the R... word into this discussion, but this service doesn't compare to St James where they treat you well and you get to speak directly to guys that know about watches.
    Last edited by Christian; 22nd June 2021 at 10:50.

Master
    No I know you were not, Just a bit confused how could they possibly think I was an awkward customer, I’ve never demanded anything, been very civil the whole time. TBH I could have been lost the plot in the Boutique with the service manager considering her attitude, I didn’t not my style. At the end of the day they’ve cocked up, I haven’t asked for anything extra, recompense etc…. All I expect is what they’ve agreed to.

I know St James have a good reputation, no doubt they make mistakes but can’t see them behaving like this.

Sorry, wasn't saying you are in the wrong, I totally agree...the service is shocking.

From how they are acting, it is apparent they are doing bare minimum at every step to get you off their books and they are definitely trying to fob you off...promising one thing and then doing another.

I would be doing the same as you and if not getting the results I want, I'd be gradually escalating to the point where I highlight the negative publicity this could cause on watch forums (but use that as a last resort).

I hate to bring the R... word into this discussion, but this service doesn't compare to St James where they treat you well and you get to speak directly to guys that know about watches.

Master
    Just spoken to the Manager there, he can’t understand what has gone on and was very apologetic- upshot is it’s off to the service centre again…..

panerai have two service centres, there is the Richemonte one in the uk, which is errrrr not good, they deal with the simple movements

the more complex movements are sent back to Neuchatel, they are worked on by the same people who make the movement, they also deal with the historic pieces. They are excellent, i've had stuff go there and come back as new downside always take 3+ weeks

The problem is i don't think you you can insist it goes back to switzerland which is a pain

Craftsman
    I have recently also had a terrible experience with Panerai:

- once they recieved the watch, would only service it if I replaced the dial. They said it was oxidised. It was fine.

- said that it would be 10 weeks. After 12 weeks I chased, and after 2 emails with no reply they said they were waiting on parts

- took 16 weeks and I was chasing them constantly to get updates.

All this was £800 to secure a PAM 111

A timely thread, I was about to put a 183 through for a service; may look at alternatives now.

Has anyone had any recent positive experiences going with panerai?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    panerai have two service centres, there is the Richemonte one in the uk, which is errrrr not good, they deal with the simple movements

the more complex movements are sent back to Neuchatel, they are worked on by the same people who make the movement, they also deal with the historic pieces. They are excellent, i've had stuff go there and come back as new downside always take 3+ weeks

The problem is i don't think you you can insist it goes back to switzerland which is a pain
    Interesting info, thanks.

Unfortunately I think they’ve employed Stevie Wonder in the U.K. centre…..:-)