closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Re waxing a Barbour style jacket How hard can it be ?

Craftsman

Re waxing a Barbour style jacket How hard can it be ?

Re waxing a Barbour style jacket How hard is it ?

I have a waxed jacket in a rather cool colour that should be waxed but frankly Im scared of messing up it
    How hard is it to do ?
    The jacket is light in colour so less forgiving of too much wax as it will show up.

Any tips advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed

Just give it to Barbour to do. Some people can do it quite well themselves but I've seen way too many Barbour's at pubs in the city where they've clearly given it a go themselves and ran out of energy half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just give it to Barbour to do. Some people can do it quite well themselves but I've seen way too many Barbour's at pubs in the city where they've clearly given it a go themselves and ran out of energy half way through.
    Absolutely this.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    It is pretty easy, though. Just needs a bit of patience. I wouldn't call it a skilled job. Wax plus a bit of heat so it melts in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    It is pretty easy, though. Just needs a bit of patience. I wouldn't call it a skilled job. Wax plus a bit of heat so it melts in.
    On a green one yes, but it's still easy to over do it. Also, Barbour will repair what needs to be repaired.

I have done it to a few jackets
    As said patience is essential, As is the Mrs hairdryer!
    Put the wax in a bowl of hot water
    Let it melt
    Massage in to the jacket with your fingers
    Use the hair dryer to help keep the wax liquid and spread all over the jacket.
    Make sure you give the seems lots of attention.
    I normally spot a small area or two I have missed or not covered quite so well so it may take more than one attempt
    Let it dry in a warm place over night, two is best
    Where areas are white with wax when dry use the hairdryer to spread the excess about.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th May 2021 at 15:43.

I recently had a go on my Fjallraven trousers, and they look filthy now! Going to take practice to get them not looking grim.

Barbour did a jacket of mine a while ago. Took two weeks and cost about £40, I think?

I had to sell it though because I couldn't stand the new smell and I got sick of getting the gunk on my hands every time I wore it. I'll never wear wax again.

I appreciate this isn't for Barbour but I've done this with Barbour jackets and wax, the heated wax applied with a brush is a game chanager.

https://www.drizaboneclothing.co.uk/...e-amp-rewaxing
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Waxing a Barbour jacket yourself redefines the word "tedious".

Send it to Barbour, it costs about £35 plus postage, and they'll do a far better job.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

A brush is a good tip, it spreads the wax out a bit more evenly
    Any waxing will darken the colour of the material though.

The OP says it’s a Barbour style jacket, so if not Barbour they will not do it, his options maybe limited if the maker of the jacket will not do it as a service.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th May 2021 at 15:58.

I’m a complete amateur and have done it successfully before. It was a while ago but I remember doing it in a small room and making sure I heated the room up with a couple of fan heaters while doing it. Only problem was, I forgot to unwind the extension cable fully prior to running 4kw of power through it. The cable rapidly got quite hot!

I do my two Barbours most Julys on a warm day. I put the jackets in a pillowcase into the tumble drier to warm them up a bit. Tin of wax in a saucepan of water on a low heat to keep liquid and apply with a cheap sponge from the supermarket.

Keep working methodically, wiping off any excess. Hang on a clothes hanger in the airing cupboard over night to absorb well. Then next day, hang on the clothes line and use the hairdryer to make sure the coverage is even.

Really not difficult, plenty of YouTube videos. It is quite a basic process.

I have Bedale that requires waxing. It has holes and the handwarmer pockets have ripped in the corners slightly. My wife hates the jacket. I personally like the dishevelled look. I will be sending it to Barbour as I envisage myself ruining it's beauty.

I bought a tub of wax to do mine after the seams started leaking about 6 months ago.

Still not done, combination of not wanting to stuff it up and CBA.

Didn’t realise Barbour offered this as a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Re waxing a Barbour style jacket How hard is it ?

I have a waxed jacket in a rather cool colour that should be waxed but frankly Im scared of messing up it
    How hard is it to do ?
    The jacket is light in colour so less forgiving of too much wax as it will show up.

Any tips advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed
    As with any DIY activity, YouTube is your first and best stop.

Barbour have made video guidance.

https://youtu.be/Mglw9EYoBBI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've rewaxed jackets plenty of times in the past, but it's boring, laborious, and can be pretty messy. A couple of months ago I decided to send one of my wife's jackets back to Barbour to be rewaxed because it is a navy blue model which is one of the worst colours to start looking tired, plus it is a limited edition, plus it is her favourite. The cost was postage there and £35 and it came back like a brand new jacket. I was shocked how well it came up. Well worth it, especially if you factor in the cost of wax to diy.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone
    My fears confirmed that attempting to wax my ORANGE universal works jacket ( currently looks rather cool)
    Will mess it up
    Unfortunately Universal don’t offer a rewax service as Barbour do

You can't mess it up. Do it with a sponge and a bowl with an inch of hot water at the bottom which you replenish.
    Do it outside on some cardboard.
    Put an album on and enjoy the fresh air and sound of birdsong.
    Don't buy the Barbour wax, it's not 'special' there are lots of other brands.
    Hang the coat in a warm room for a day afterwards.
    If you don't like the smell, perhaps a Barbour wasn't the right choice?

Its very easy.
    Spend the £40 on your kids/charity/ale/G-shock

Partially rewaxed jackets seen on people in pubs in the city..... This I like!

I'm joking here of course somewhat. I feel sorry for Barbour that the fad for the jackets will wane and they will drop back to being a low volume manufacturer, making lovely British apparel.

One of my wife's (townie) friends complained that her Barbour had marked her Mulberry handbag. She wrote to both companies. Bizarrely Mulberry sent her a £50 voucher.

Anyhow. Do it. :)
    Last edited by The Doc; 25th May 2021 at 12:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    You can't mess it up. Do it with a sponge and a bowl with an inch of hot water at the bottom which you replenish.
    Do it outside on some cardboard.
    Don't buy the Barbour wax, it's not 'special' there are lots of other brands.
    Hang the coat in a warm room for a day afterwards.

Its very easy.
    Spend the £40 on your kids/charity/ale/G-shock
    If you are left with any stubborn patches of too thickly applied wax get the hairdryer out. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    Thanks everyone
    My fears confirmed that attempting to wax my ORANGE universal works jacket ( currently looks rather cool)
    Will mess it up
    Unfortunately Universal don’t offer a rewax service as Barbour do
    Ah right... I did an orange wax jacket a few years ago.
    Orange does show the white wax residue a bit more than other colours but if you use a hair drier you can get it to absorb.
    Since I re waxed it the jacket is still waterproof and looks even more beat up, I am happy with the result

Craftsman
    I tried it.
    Bought wax - £10
    Heated wax
    Applied with sponge
    Was careful
    Took about 20 mins
    No problems
    Saved £25 + p&p. - Spent that on other stuff.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re waxing a Barbour style jacket How hard can it be ?

Easy, top tip is to keep the tin in hot water in a slow cooker.

Use a hairdryer for even finish. I used Barbour thorn proof wax. Was £8 a tin from a local shop and enough for most jackets.

Master
    I waxed my Peregrine jacket about 3 years ago. Took about 30 minutes and then another 15 minutes of follow up to tidy it up.. It turned out OK. I probably overdid it it in parts, but not really noticeable after a few wears. It is olive coloured and for every day wear so not worried if it is perfect. I'll be redoing it this summer.

Master
    having left my jacket with some stuff to be dry cleaned by accident, I have a dewaxed jacket and tub of wax from Amazon. Due to lockdown I didn't need to wear the jacket so still haven't done it but will give it a go in due course and report back on how much I've cocked it up