closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thermal printers - anybody got one?

Thermal printers - anybody got one?

I have had it up to my neck with buying ink for printers.
    I only orint the odd document, mainly for posting things I’ve sold - or printing off tickets - are thermal printers s better bet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I have had it up to my neck with buying ink for printers.
    I only orint the odd document, mainly for posting things I’ve sold - or printing off tickets - are thermal printers s better bet?

I'm punting one out on Ebay, didn't need it for the purpose it was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I'm punting one out on Ebay, didn't need it for the purpose it was purchased.
    Do you have a link to it? Was it any good?

I had, probably still have, one for the Sinclair Spectrum. Probably still got a few rolls of the silver paper too. It wasn't very good.

If you are just printing little labels then a Dymo Label Writer is a good printer, we have a couple here.

Labels are about 3-5p each we have a label writer 450 and something a bit newer but they are solid printers.

The software lets you save addresses can also append and count so print 1/10, 2/10 etc. and barcodes so quite versatile.

There is a used 450 on Amazon for 70 at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymo-LabelW.../dp/B0031SG048

It won't print tickets however

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Do you have a link to it? Was it any good?

I PM'd you a link?

Master
    With home schooling we have spent a fair bit on ink over the last year or so.

I bought one of these simple to do, 10 colour refills and 5 black for £26. Works as good as the new ones

Ink Cartridge Refill Kit for Canon 540, 541, 540 XL, 541 XL - Black and Colour High Quality Ink with Clip and Accessories https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072RJ9P...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    If you don't need colour get a cheap laser, the ink lasts ages.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    If you don't need colour get a cheap laser, the toner lasts ages.
    FTFY.

I have an old HP laserjet 1320n that I used remanufactured toner cartridges in it. Each toner cartridge lasts a few years and costs around £12.

Much cheaper to run than my photo inkjet with 11 different colours of ink!

Another recommendation for a simple laser, I have a samsung ML1660 was about £70 brand new and the toner does about 1500 pages - aftermarket replacements about £10 on ebay

Epson are doing printers called ‘ecotank’ that appear to be very cheap on ink.........ordered one this morning. A bottle of ink is meant to do a few thousand pages (claim is 8,000, don’t know if true) and a bottle is £15. Benefits most if you print a fair amount.

I bought a HP Laser Jet M15w and use it for pretty much the same as what you describe.

Best £90.00 I've spent in a while. I think I have had it about 8 months and the original cartridge is still over half full.
    Easy to install from the off and I can print from my computer or phone no problem.

It's wireless apart from the initial setup which has to be connected via USB to you're computer but after that no issues.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Asupercoolusername View Post
    Epson are doing printers called ‘ecotank’ that appear to be very cheap on ink.........ordered one this morning. A bottle of ink is meant to do a few thousand pages (claim is 8,000, don’t know if true) and a bottle is £15. Benefits most if you print a fair amount.
    I have had one of these for a few years and I can recommend it. I don’t do much printing, but when I do the EcoTank is ready and willing. I can’t remember ever buying new ink for it, or cartridges. It is great for a colour inkjet.

Quote Originally Posted by Asupercoolusername View Post
    Canon and HP also do these - https://www.techradar.com/uk/best/ink-tank-printer