closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any e-bike/e-moped owners on the forum?

Any e-bike/e-moped owners on the forum?

I'm considering the purchase of an e-bike or e-moped soon. My pulmonary fibrosis is making it more difficult to complete my routine 3-4 mile hikes in a local nature preserve, so I'm considering this purchase (I'll be 74 this summer).

I've been looking at these types of e-bikes, mostly for off-road use.

I'm curious to know what experiences owners have had, particularly related to the type of "bike," brands, componentry, battery size, hub vs. mid motor, etc. I'd be grateful to get your insights.

Thanks, all!

This American lady and her Chec Boyfriend make eBikes that are awesome. Kits or ready made.

https://youtu.be/IHgt5xlPSEs

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wow...0-100km in 6 seconds? Maybe more than I need.

Master
    They all look very heavy! Following major heart surgery and ongoing heart failure I have an electric bike which got me back out regularly. But I converted a hybrid with a hub motor. https://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/ is the kit I used.

Off the shelf you can pick and choose to suit ability, budget and terrain. UK rules on ebikes are a bit limiting so we don’t see many monsters on the streets like the ones you posted.

I'd second that Tom.

The bikes you posted look good but seem heavy and more importantly their geometry does not look ideal for a ride in a nature reserve, unless it is a beach (they'd be fine for that).
    I would suggest you look at what's on offer as e-mountain bikes, preferentially with the engine in the hub. If you think even that can be a bit too hard, a simple sit up and beg will allow you to cover decent distances on roads or paths, in comfort and with a moderate amount of effort. Weight and friction are your enemies.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Have a look at VanMoof, love mine. Used in the city & on bridle & cycle paths

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Have a look at VanMoof, love mine. Used in the city & on bridle & cycle paths
    I really like those 2. Would you mind posting a review one of these days, please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    They all look very heavy! Following major heart surgery and ongoing heart failure I have an electric bike which got me back out regularly. But I converted a hybrid with a hub motor. https://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/ is the kit I used.

Off the shelf you can pick and choose to suit ability, budget and terrain. UK rules on ebikes are a bit limiting so we don’t see many monsters on the streets like the ones you posted.
    A guy I know who has breathing issues has done just a Jubal mentions above. He went with a Bafang frame mounted motor. Similar prices to above link. He converted his old mountain bike so maintained comfort tyres and front suspension. I have ridden it and its power is a revelation.

I sent my VanMoof X3 back (and I know someone else here who returned an S3). The build quality wasn't as good as I had hoped, there were a few issues and repair of the failed parts was going to take several weeks. Customer relations were also really slow to respond to messages. A shame because it looked great. The best thing I can say was that the refund was quibble free and included all shipping so it was like having a free trial.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I sent my VanMoof X3 back (and I know someone else here who returned an S3). The build quality wasn't as good as I had hoped, there were a few issues and repair of the failed parts was going to take several weeks. Customer relations were also really slow to respond to messages. A shame because it looked great. The best thing I can say was that the refund was quibble free and included all shipping so it was like having a free trial.
    Good to hear it was painless money-wise, but a shame for build quality as the design is brilliant. I have a sit up and beg which is brilliant for my back, and the Bosch engine + Nexus 7 speed are great but design-wise it's not very... imaginative.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Good to hear it was painless money-wise, but a shame for build quality as the design is brilliant. I have a sit up and beg which is brilliant for my back, and the Bosch engine + Nexus 7 speed are great but design-wise it's not very... imaginative.

Mid-drive motor, right?

I'm still torn between various bike designs/geometries, but prefer a 4" fat tire and a budget of $1,500...

Craftsman

Any e-bike/e-moped owners on the forum?

I’ve had an Orbea Gain F30 for a year now. It’s a hybrid style with a rear hub motor (Ebikemotion).
    Best thing I’ve bought for years

Last edited by CriticalMass; 27th May 2021 at 22:15.

Craftsman
    Sondor in LA has just popped up on my IG feed. Looks like they have some interesting designs that might meet your requirements?