closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A few of my favourite things in a watch...

Blog Entries

A few of my favourite things in a watch...

A few things I really like in a watch...

1. A High Accuracy Quartz movement ( after many automatics, I now really appreciate the grab 'n' go aspect of HAQ )
    2. An Angular Case - with crisp edges
    3. Dial Symmetry

I recently received the GS SBGX335, which ticks all the above boxes & makes an ideal partner to my OQ17000 (picked up in 2020).

Although the GS does so in a larger, tougher (almost brutalist*) manner than the OQ.

I know the OQ ticks only two of the above boxes - but it's such a crisp design I can forgive the lack of symmetry...
    ...“Imperfections don’t make something ugly.”

z
    (*I'm not sure brutalist is the correct term here - but the use of intersecting angles does remind me of some of the brutalist architecture of the 60s & 70s)
    Last edited by zelig; 25th May 2021 at 15:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm with you on all three characteristics - plus I need high contrast between hands and dial, so once again the SBGX335 ticks all the boxes - they are really lovely watches and totally practical. I really like the OQs too, but sadly the hand/dial contrast isn't enough for my old eyes nowadays.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I'm with you on all three characteristics - plus I need high contrast between hands and dial, so once again the SBGX335 ticks all the boxes - they are really lovely watches and totally practical. I really like the OQs too, but sadly the hand/dial contrast isn't enough for my old eyes nowadays.
    It was your post that reignited my interest in the GS divers.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    It was your post that reignited my interest in the GS divers.

z
    I’ve been checking that model out on Chrono 24 following your incoming post. A Seiko/Grand Seiko non-date diver is a rare beast indeed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ve been checking that model out on Chrono 24 following your incoming post. A Seiko/Grand Seiko non-date diver is a rare beast indeed.
    I bought both mine (an SBGX335 and SBGX337) off Chrono24 - both 'no hassle' purchases. I used to have an SBGX115 and an SBGX117 but sold them because I tend to wear watches loose and the crowns at 3 stuck into the back of my wrist - uncomfortable with heavy watches. The ones I have now, with the crowns at 4, are much more comfortable. But the 115/117s seem to be quite rare and getting very pricey.

Craftsman
    I have decided what I really like in a watch is applied Arabic numerals, especially as they are not that common. We see a lot of dials with batons, or printed numerals. Printing is obviously (a lot) cheaper, but you don't get the depth of applique.

That's two watches of yours I fancy, the modded Seiko solar and that OQ17000, that's a real period piece. Lovely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk