closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling on ebay can be hard work.

Selling on ebay can be hard work.

For a long while now I have not sold on ebay because of the cost involved and all the other problems that can be encountered but over the last few months I have sold a few Lawn Bowls, costly but it gets rid of them, the last set sold Friday and the buyer paid Friday I posted Saturday and buyer received Monday all quick and satisfactory but ebay are holding onto the payment until the 24th March (two weeks)daylight robbery :)

Sellers on the SC should be happy to make a donation to charity.

Rate for £0.00 - £5,000.00 £245.00x10.6667% =-£26.13
    [/COLOR]

Final Value Fee[COLOR=var(--color-neutral-5)]Per order fixed amount[/COLOR] -£0.25
    Fixed amount -£0.25
    Fees -£26.38
    VAT(20%) -£5.28
    Fees (includes VAT) -£31.66

Master
    That’s strange - I usually get the funds next day

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    That’s strange - I usually get the funds next day
    Are you a frequent seller Paul ? i'm not.

Master
    Yes I am - maybe that’s why - as you’ve not sold for a while

I always get paid out early the next day but I do sell a lot on eBay.

Do you have a payment card registered with them? If you don’t and the buyer isn’t happy, eBay would have no way of processing the refund from you so it makes sense for them to hold on to the funds for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I always get paid out early the next day but I do sell a lot on eBay.

Do you have a payment card registered with them? If you don’t and the buyer isn’t happy, eBay would have no way of processing the refund from you so it makes sense for them to hold on to the funds for a period of time.
    I have a payment card registered with them.

In the last year i've sold three items with them.

Item 1 payment two weeks.

Item 2 payment a couple of days.

Item 3 payment will be two weeks.

Always next day unless paid late in the day, then its a day after again.
    Your lack of sales seems the most likely explanation.

I’ve been attempting to clear out a load of stuff via eBay these past few months. It’s essentially just a classifieds site now with a few auctions. Fees are very high too and their restrictions on what you can charge for postage are extremely disingenuous.

I tried Facebook marketplace a couple of years ago and it was good - but now it’s a nightmare full of people just trying to rip you off.

That said, I have managed to shift some stuff on ebay. It’s just a shame there’s no effective competition for eBay anymore.

They always pay me next day too.

Master
    I had a eBay payment held a couple of years ago never found out why just some generic message about fraud prevention

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    . It’s just a shame there’s no effective competition for eBay anymore.

This is the key point sadly. There were a spate of copycat sites trying to get off the ground... ebay just bought them up and killed them off. Gumtree is the only one I'm aware of which is still doing any sort of trade and even then its just an unregulated "car boot sale" sort of site full of fake items and scammers.

The only real alternative seems to be Facebook marketplace. *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    their restrictions on what you can charge for postage are extremely disingenuous.
    You can charge whatever you want for postage, their suggested figures are just that. You just need to fill the details in on your listing.

You can also purchase postage at discounted prices trough the site. EVRI 1kg is currently £1.75 as opposed to £2.99 on the EVRI website.

When you open packing, you get a list of couriers, starting with the cheapest first. Most you have to print the label from your printer but EVRI machines print an adhesive label straight from the QR codes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You can charge whatever you want for postage, their suggested figures are just that. You just need to fill the details in on your listing.

You can also purchase postage at discounted prices trough the site. EVRI 1kg is currently £1.75 as opposed to £2.99 on the EVRI website.

When you open packing, you get a list of couriers, starting with the cheapest first. Most you have to print the label from your printer but EVRI machines print an adhesive label straight from the QR codes.
    Then Evri can loose it

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Then Evri can lose it
    I’ve found them to be st least as good as any of the others.

I'm not a frequent seller on eBay but I sold and posted something today and will have to wait until the end of the month for the money.

Master
    I setup an ebay account for my ltd company , gave ebay all the details , monies paid direct to the company account , vat registration , companies house register , my personal details , the other directors details.

Sold about £2500 of obsolete IT equipment in 2 weeks. Positive feedback no returns .

Ebay blocked the account . Spoke to them , no information back but they unblocked the account .

Sold another £2500 worth , maybe 5 items . Blocked again. This time permanently . Funds in ebay but not paid out . No explanation , when queried they told me it was permanent as they felt the account was a risk to ebay .

Took 6 months to get the money from ebay , at one point I threatened to get legal.

I had a personal ebay account for many years , bately used it . So I started selling the remainder of the IT equipment and transfering the money to the company from my personal account .

Sold £35k worth of IT equipment , maybe 70 items in 3 months . No blocks , no delays of payments .

Ebay makes no sense to me I’m afraid but its better than facebook marketplace which is akin to a rough version of mad max .

Have to say, I've had a good eBay run this past week. Four items out the door for £4k, all buyers were extremely polite and paid immediately and I got the proceeds each midnight from eBay.

Grand total of £4 selling fees thanks to a promotion, ya dancer!

I've not sold anything there in almost two years, so I'm well happy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Ebay makes no sense to me I’m afraid but its better than facebook marketplace which is akin to a rough version of mad max .
    So reassuring to know it's not just me that thinks this... =)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    So reassuring to know it's not just me that thinks this... =)
    Yes , have 7 items up for buy it now with best offer option reasonably priced still get people asking me will I take a ridiculously low sum that is less than even non functioning versions of the same item .

Asking me in depth personal questions as to the history of the item :

"has it been on a pet free house"...its a cpu or psu most often than not.
    "is this brand new " its clearly sold as used
    "I don't have much money can you sell it to me for a really low price "...No buy a cheaper model ,I'm advertising several.
    "refund me postage as this took over 24hrs to arrive" no ebay says i have 4 days to dispatch it regardless and the rmsd postage is for safety and insurance
    "i'll buy it but for cheaper delivery" you want me to send a £1000 item with no insurance to save you £8?

buying items (£700 items) then sending a return request citing the item is in terrible condition and doesn't work when they could have returned it without explanation or lies within a 14day window .
    This happens at least 10% of the time , so far the item has been returned in original condition and working fine but its a faf and forces me to open my own complaint against the buyer for lying about the state of the item .

The interface for using ebay is terrible , clearly designed by someone who has never used it .

Master
    Another one ;

People sending you haggling messages to get the price down on a lower range model , then responding to agree that final price but on another listing for a more expensive model , hoping you will agree because you've not noticed the change in the comms chain to a different listing.

be very careful of this as even if you notice you will get a black mark in ebay for cancelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Another one ;

People sending you haggling messages to get the price down on a lower range model , then responding to agree that final price but on another listing for a more expensive model , hoping you will agree because you've not noticed the change in the comms chain to a different listing.

be very careful of this as even if you notice you will get a black mark in ebay for cancelling
    It depends on the reason you cite for cancelling. I always cite “buyer asked to cancel” if I have an issue or they don’t pay after a couple of reminders.

I’ve just been asked if I will accept payment on delivery for a Jaguar XK8 headlight to be sent to Spain. Obviously I refused.

I wouldn't sell on there for full rates, but get the promotion deal every two weeks or so.

I never charge postage, just build it into the price, and always send signed-for at a bare minimum but mostly RMSD.

Never had payment held in all my years on there.

Touch wood I've never had a problem with any buyer.