closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone have experience of image stabilising binoculars?

Master

Anyone have experience of image stabilising binoculars?

I'm looking to buy a pair of image stabilising binoculars. Had a few good (Leica / Swaro) compacts before which I ended up selling on SC. There doesn't seem a lot of choice outside Canon and I'm currently thinking their 15x50s All Weather would suit my purposes which is basically as bit of night sky stuff / maybe use on a boat / anything else.

Anyone have any views of which models to look at and what to look out for? All the large aperture Canon models seem to be out of stock at the moment. They also do a 10x42 which I'd really like but at £1,600 is probably too much of a budget stretcher.

Thanks
    Dave

I had a smaller set of the Canons (perhaps 10x32) bought from here. Good quality and reasonably light and compact. Noticeable improvement when the IS button was pressed.

I have since replaced them with some Swarovskis and prefer them, but just becasue they work immediately that they are put to the eye. Slightly lighter and more compact as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think Sundial is the person to ask - PM him

I've tried Canon IS binoculars and they're very good based on the IS technology in my formerly owned Canon 500mm L telephoto lens. Good quality is never going to be cheap so keep your eyes peeled for pre owned. I figure you'll also need a spare battery or two in your pocket on long day usage.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I think Sundial is the person to ask - PM him
    That makes him sound like a professional voyeur!

😉

I’m guessing he’s a twitcher then?

I am quite interested in this thread - as in how much real difference the IS makes. In my mind they are like Luke Skywalker’s binocs on Tattooine...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Three s/h Canon IS binos listed by ENS https://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?r...gory&path=2_66. ... they are excellent and punch above their weight ref image brightness. The 'sticky rubber' is a new one on me ... not reported with any other s/h Canon IS bino and may or may not respond to a solvent ... at your own risk. I sold all my Canon IS binos via TZ UK SC ... I use my binos on tripods for astro observing so IS not required. Canon IS binos require AA batteries ... best to use longlife batteries ... preferably lithium.

If you need a 10x mag bino, IS can make a real difference ... it's magic to suddenly witness a shaky image 'stabilise'. With 8x mag, IS can also make a difference ... but most observers can mange to handhold 8x, 7x, and 6x binos without any noticeable shake.

Fuji and Nikon also offer IS binos but reviews are not so good compared to Canon IS ... Kite and Opticron IS binos are sold by Cley Spy https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/product-ca...ed-binoculars/. ... I've not checked reviews of same.

Zeiss offer their excellent 20 x 60 IS bino (as used on International Space Station) if you need high mag but it's expensive https://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/b...006600007.html. ... heavy / bulky but easy to handhold in weightless conditions ... in space, there is still a need for IS. Zeiss IS is activated by magnets thus no batteries required.

BW

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 26th May 2021 at 22:33.
    "After a certain age you got the face you deserve I think" ... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Master
    Thanks Dunk - some really useful info there. Appreciate the post. Cheers

Regarding the sticky coating, i have a pair of Opticrons that have done the same. Can't imagine trying to remove it all with whatever?? I wrapped mine in fabric tape, look crap but work fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Re sticky coating. If this is a rubber type of coating, when the Oakley Half Jackets I use for cycling developed this on the rubber arm sleeves (presumably caused by sweat} I got rid of it by rubbing with olive oil.

Isopropyl alcohol and lots of paper towels seems to be the best way to remove the sticky rubber. Ask any owner of a 20 year old Maserati or Ferrari, the interior is covered in it.