closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online glasses using existing prescription

Master

Online glasses using existing prescription

Glasses Direct are the obvious choice but are there any others I should be looking at? Should I be avoiding any of them?

Thanks.

Master
    Only tried one, Spex4Less - ordered some sports glasses for cycling about three years ago. Varifocals, turned out rather well.

SydR

Online glasses using existing prescription

I’’ve used Spex4less on a couple of occasions. Both times worked well.

It was basically to get a couple of cheap pairs to carry around as backups.

Got my last pair about a month ago from: https://www.theglassescompany.co.uk/

Really great service and the best prices I could find. Immediate replies to any questions and very helpful. Ignore the closing date on the “flash sale”…it’s pretty much permanent.

I’ve used Mr Spex a couple of times…also good but found them a little more expensive when I looked last month. The price of the “silver package” lenses from The Glasses Company seemed to beat everywhere else for the lens specification.

I use "glassescomplete". Never had any issues, used them about 4 times in last 6 years.

Master
    I use theopticshop. Keen prices and always received a good service.

I've had several pairs from Smartbuyglasses with no issues.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I always buy from https://www.zennioptical.com/. I go for cheap frames as they are easier to bend, and get a pair of progressive's for just over a USD100. Downside for UK is you will pay VAT.

Master
    OP: do you have your PD measurement as it's rarely included in your copy of the prescription & it's an important parameter for glasses to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    OP: do you have your PD measurement as it's rarely included in your copy of the prescription & it's an important parameter for glasses to work properly.
    I always find it a con that opticians won't give this out to try and prevent you shopping elsewhere even if you've paid for an eye test!

I've also read it can be far more accurate to do it yourself using the coloured dot on lenses method. Opticians sales assistants can end up doing it far too close which changes your PD.

Glasses Direct will work out your pupillary distance for you. All they need is a selfie with your credit card - https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/pupillary-distance/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Very interested to hear how people are getting over this hurdle, as I have never received this info as part of my general prescription.

Are people measuring their own PD's or are they challenging the opticians to provide that information for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Very interested to hear how people are getting over this hurdle, as I have never received this info as part of my general prescription.

Are people measuring their own PD's or are they challenging the opticians to provide that information for them?
    It’s not difficult to do yourself. The most accurate method involves a marker pen and an old pair of glasses. Pupillary distance changes depending on whether you are looking far away or close. It’s best to get the far away measurement but a lot of opticians measure it while you are looking too close. I’ve subsequently had different measurements depending on which optician has done the measurement. One got it so wrong I remember my eyes having to converge when I put my new glasses on.

Master
    I've used RX-Sport for years for PD they have a system where you print a ruler and then send a photo of you holding it in a specific place to them and they calculate it. I used it on my last but one pair of glasses and it worked a treat.