closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Salvage yard motorbike

Craftsman

Salvage yard motorbike

Your thoughts please guys. I’ve seen a little 125 at a salvage yard.Damaged panels and quite cheap but no ignition keys.Is this a big problem? Can I get Honda keys cut from registration document for instance? Maybe they have a code somewhere on the bike? Any help appreciated.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Replacing the ignition on a Honda is trivial - however, not hearing it running is more of a worry - small Hondas are well made but tend to live a hard life.

What is it? 2 stroke or 4? Yes you can get new keys but as above I’d be more worried about engine condition and whether the frame and wheels were straight.

Journeyman
    If the frame is bent out of shape even by a few degrees, this could be a death trap. Same for wheels. Really check it over as well as you can.
    The key can be by passed to start the engine, you could do a compression test before handing over any £££ to ensure the engine is healthy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy a bike from a scrappers......no thank you.

Master
    No keys, stolen crashed, written off. Steer clear. Bikes are not like cars, you are balanced on them, if something isn’t straight or borderline broken it could be a death trap. 125’s are cheap as chips, or spend £1500 run it around and sell for same price as folk have done on here 12 month later.

Steve

On the other hand, I bought my Bonneville as a stolen/recovered, with no ignition barrel, nor rear lights and a very crap matte black brushed paint job.
    It worked out fine
    If you can tell that your savings won't be destroyed by the rebuild costs (being sensible, not wildly optimistic) then do it, and enjoy the process.

Craftsman
    Cheers guys.Its a little 4stroke. It was written off by the insurance assessor as uneconomical to repair the body work.Salvage category N. The new plastic is more expensive than the bike .
    Last edited by lew07; 25th May 2021 at 05:38.

small bikes that are already mot'd etc are cheap enough as it is, the only scrapyard small bikes worth even going to look at are the collectables like the Suzuki fizzie if you fancy trying to do one as a project.

Master
    Might help if you said what bike it was - I don’t think small bikes are particularly cheap anymore.
    So cat N is non structural
    It really depends why it was written off - cosmetic bits are understandable and new they’re not cheap - that said secondhand parts can be expensive too so I think I’d check eBay for a rough idea of the price of the parts you may need
    Also how cheap is cheap - couple of hundred?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Might help if you said what bike it was - I don’t think small bikes are particularly cheap anymore.
    So cat N is non structural
    It really depends why it was written off - cosmetic bits are understandable and new they’re not cheap - that said secondhand parts can be expensive too so I think I’d check eBay for a rough idea of the price of the parts you may need
    Also how cheap is cheap - couple of hundred?
    A lad I know Multisrada fell off the trailer when he was collecting it. Cracked the small plastic beak and part of the upper side fairing. Barely noticable BUT £1600 at Ducati Leeds later.

Plastic damage can really influence a bikes reparability. Enoch on here recently spruced up his pals bike following a low speed fall.

Steve