closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer 36mm - Ref 124270

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    As an aside for someone looking for a 1016 experience on the cheap, this homage from San Martin is sublime. Excellent quality and bracelet is better quality than Steinhart, Squale etc homages.

Wonder if that bracelet will fit the Everest’s…

T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    As an aside for someone looking for a 1016 experience on the cheap, this homage from San Martin is sublime. Excellent quality and bracelet is better quality than Steinhart, Squale etc homages.

Goodness it's the spit of that pictured 70's 1016.

Picked one up today after a surprisingly short 6 weeks wait and absolutely loving it. Early days of course, but so far extremely comfy on my smallish 6.25” wrist.

I’ve mostly worn my DJ 36 for the past 6-9 months with my SD4K reserved for weekends. I’m sure once I get the SD back from its service it’ll feel huge by comparison.

The tapering bracelet honestly feels super comfy and IMO makes the watch head appear larger than the 36 diameter would suggest. Here are a couple of day 1 wrist shots with a few others for comparison…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone any idea of the current ‘waiting list’ time for the 124270? Also what’s a realistic/good price for a nice condition full set 114270? I’ve looked on Chrono24 but prices vary quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Anyone any idea of the current ‘waiting list’ time for the 124270? Also what’s a realistic/good price for a nice condition full set 114270? I’ve looked on Chrono24 but prices vary quite a bit!
    The wait list on a 124270 will be based on your previous spend history with the AD so could be anywhere from a few weeks to years.

I have been watching the market on 114270 over the past year or so and recently nice condition full sets seem to be around £5 - 5.5k private and £6 - 6.5k from a dealer with a warranty.

It’s worth mentioning that the 124270 and 114270 wear very differently even though both 36mm. I personally prefer the 114270 as it’s wears more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The wait list on a 124270 will be based on your previous spend history with the AD so could be anywhere from a few weeks to years.

I have been watching the market on 114270 over the past year or so and recently nice condition full sets seem to be around £5 - 5.5k private and £6 - 6.5k from a dealer with a warranty.

It’s worth mentioning that the 124270 and 114270 wear very differently even though both 36mm. I personally prefer the 114270 as it’s wears more balanced.
    Thank you. Interesting to hear they wear very differently. Is it the 14mm taper that makes it feel more unbalanced? Based on those prices I’m not sure if the new one would be worth and extra £1000 or so and I think I’d be happy with a 114270. Although I guess if a service is required it makes the difference a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Thank you. Interesting to hear they wear very differently. Is it the 14mm taper that makes it feel more unbalanced? Based on those prices I’m not sure if the new one would be worth and extra £1000 or so and I think I’d be happy with a 114270. Although I guess if a service is required it makes the difference a lot less.
    19mm lugs and drastic clasp taper yes. Massive logo for this small dial too.

I’d advise you try both and make your own mind up about how it wears.

A lot of noise about the taper, which is no more drastic than the new Speedmaster bracelet, which received much praise over its previous iteration.

I dare say the 114270 looks clumsy in comparison when you have both in hand.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    I’d advise you try both and make your own mind up about how it wears.

A lot of noise about the taper, which is no more drastic than the new Speedmaster bracelet, which received much praise over its previous iteration.

I dare say the 114270 looks clumsy in comparison when you have both in hand.

YMMV.
    Agreed you really need to try them both as YMMV.

There was nothing wrong with the 124270 or the taper of the bracelet it’s was just the thickness of the clasp that felt to big to me.

Craftsman
    Picked mine up last week from my local AD, with no previous spend history. Couldn’t be happier with the watch, it’s beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Picked mine up last week from my local AD, with no previous spend history. Couldn’t be happier with the watch, it’s beautiful.
    Congrats!

Journeyman
    I’m hoping to get a new Explorer this year, how are people finding availability so far in 2022?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by randomer View Post
    I’m hoping to get a new Explorer this year, how are people finding availability so far in 2022?
    I’ve just received a call out of the blue today…..going to collect tomorrow. Waited a couple of months or so (previously bought two DateJusts through them).

I’ve not actually seen it in the flesh, so hoping I like the size……

Journeyman
    How long was your wait if you don't mind me asking? I have been down with a few local ADs for a few months but not holding my breath to be honest...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Mine was about 4 months, picked up in November

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Mine was about 4 months, picked up in November
    Thank you - whereabouts are you and did you have a purchase history? I don't know if there is a difference between the south east and the rest of the country but I have had some relatively negative feedback on wait times across Hertfordshire/ Bedfordshire etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wangas View Post
    Thank you - whereabouts are you and did you have a purchase history? I don't know if there is a difference between the south east and the rest of the country but I have had some relatively negative feedback on wait times across Hertfordshire/ Bedfordshire etc

That was in London - I had purchase history but not Rolex with the AD. I asked nicely after a Tudor and IWC. Now on the list for a Pepsi

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Ref 124270

Tried one on today, great size pity it was the two tone version ( and display only)Image1645726107.410133.jpg

Craftsman
    Received mine mid January, after about 6 months on the list at my local AD in Bournemouth, with no purchase history. Also had my name down at a Goldsmiths in Reading, from whom I have a purchase history, and so far nothing.

Good luck!

Journeyman
    Received mine mid January, after about 6 months on the list at my local AD in Bournemouth, with no purchase history. Also had my name down at a Goldsmiths in Reading, from whom I have a purchase history, and so far nothing.

Good luck!
    Good to hear they are available! Thanks for the info

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wangas View Post

In Hertford, Hereford and Bedfordshire, hot Rolex models hardly ever happen.

Master
    Picked mine up this week. Got the call in January but delayed collecting until close to my birthday.

Went on the list for it in May last year. Have previously bought two Speedies and a Seiko from the Dealer.

Tried on a Sub Date that was exhibition only. Was told they’re not taking anymore expressions of interest this year. If they start again in 2023 then I could expect a five year wait. I asked for ND Sub btw not the date version - not a fan of the cyclops

Craftsman
    Glad to hear people seem to be getting these watches a little more easily now. Be interested to hear if anyone else has managed to get one with relatively little grief in recent months?

I registered interest for the Explorer in steel back in September 2021 at an AD where I’ve previously bought a Black Bay - not heard a peep despite a few casual drop-ins. Registered with a new AD the other week, will see if I get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Glad to hear people seem to be getting these watches a little more easily now. Be interested to hear if anyone else has managed to get one with relatively little grief in recent months?

I registered interest for the Explorer in steel back in September 2021 at an AD where I’ve previously bought a Black Bay - not heard a peep despite a few casual drop-ins. Registered with a new AD the other week, will see if I get anywhere.

They are certainly one of the easier models to obtain from the AD and far easier to be allocated than the OP36.

The AD I use have said they have very little interest in them which is strange as they are a nice watch. The only issue I found was the clasp on them.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 5th May 2022 at 16:34.

Master

The dealer I spoke to told me that if you register with multiple different dealers, they can flag this and delete all requests. FYI that was Mappin & Webb

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    The dealer I spoke to told me that if you register with multiple different dealers, they can flag this and delete all requests. FYI that was Mappin & Webb
    I heard this from Mappin & Webb too interestingly. I think what they mean is: if you register with multiple Watches of Switzerland dealers (WoS, Mappin, Goldsmiths etc) they will flag you. I can't see how independent dealers could be sharing your data with one another - surely that would be a GDPR scandal.
    Last edited by axb601; 5th May 2022 at 17:07.

Apprentice

Similar position to you (registered interest in Oct, only prior purchase was a BB58) and just heard yesterday one is reserved for me. Still need to wait a couple of weeks but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised how quick it has been…was meant to be a birthday gift to myself (for next years birthday).

Delighted to pick mine up recently.

Almost exactly a year after expressing my interest.

I had a modest purchase history with the AD, but as there’s only one AD in the country, I was pleasantly surprised to receive it within a year.

I love it.

Feels very refined & understated. Doesn’t shout ‘Rolex’ and fits with pretty much any attire.

Aside from the history, iconic designs, build quality, accuracy & reliability, a big reason I like Rolex is because they make watches that fit well with my lifestyle - from the office & black tie, to the beach & playing with my daughter. There’s never an occasion where it feels out of place.

The new movement is performing well. Typically accurate, gaining a metronomic 2 seconds a day. The 70hr power reserve is very welcome.

The size is perfect. The taper makes design sense and adds to a cohesive transition between case & bracelet. The dial & furniture upon it are clear, very legible and perfectly proportioned.

The clasp is excellent. Not remotely undersized, unless your comparison is the too-large Glidelock. The 5mm easy-link extension is very handy.

Overall, for such a simple watch, it’s highly beguiling and makes me smile. It almost makes my Submariner feel a bit gauche.

I knew I wanted the 36mm personally, but also so as my daughter can inherit a modestly-sized watch.

Master
    Very handsome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo39 View Post
    Similar position to you (registered interest in Oct, only prior purchase was a BB58) and just heard yesterday one is reserved for me. Still need to wait a couple of weeks but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised how quick it has been…was meant to be a birthday gift to myself (for next years birthday).

Glad to hear this bud! Share some photos with us when you collect it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post

Delighted to pick mine up recently.

Almost exactly a year after expressing my interest.

I had a modest purchase history with the AD, but as there’s only one AD in the country, I was pleasantly surprised to receive it within a year.

I love it.

Feels very refined & understated. Doesn’t shout ‘Rolex’ and fits with pretty much any attire.

Aside from the history, iconic designs, build quality, accuracy & reliability, a big reason I like Rolex is because they make watches that fit well with my lifestyle - from the office & black tie, to the beach & playing with my daughter. There’s never an occasion where it feels out of place.

The new movement is performing well. Typically accurate, gaining a metronomic 2 seconds a day. The 70hr power reserve is very welcome.

The size is perfect. The taper makes design sense and adds to a cohesive transition between case & bracelet. The dial & furniture upon it are clear, very legible and perfectly proportioned.

The clasp is excellent. Not remotely undersized, unless your comparison is the too-large Glidelock. The 5mm easy-link extension is very handy.

Overall, for such a simple watch, it’s highly beguiling and makes me smile. It almost makes my Submariner feel a bit gauche.

I knew I wanted the 36mm personally, but also so as my daughter can inherit a modestly-sized watch.
    Looks fantastic! Congratulations. Keeping my fingers crossed I get the call soon.

Love mine. A while ago I posted a thread asking for views on this or a DJ, and ended up initially going for the 39mm MkII instead. However, the Explorer just feels "right" in 36mm so an appropriate trade for a minter followed fairly quickly and I'm now just where I wanted to be at the outset. I have to say that I don't find the bracelet an issue at all. It's running at less than 0.5spd too, which is a bonus.

After never being a fan of the Explorer, I found the lack of a 12 numeral off putting. Mainly a fan of the Sub (although my BB58 has put a stop to owning one) & the OP models

Browsing Bluewater today & popped into M&W to look at any 36mm OPs and see how they fit/ feel. Sales assistant recommended trying the 36mm Explorer, wow was I pleasantly surprised. Now I'm torn between this and the new Speedy.

OP also

This thread is making want an explorer.... in fairness I've tried on the 14270 years ago and it didn't do it for me. The lumed 3,6,9 on this version though is the highlight for me.

Apprentice
    I’ve got everything crossed that I get ‘the call’ before September so I can wear the Explorer for my wedding day, would be a great first memory with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TTSFR View Post
    I’ve got everything crossed that I get ‘the call’ before September so I can wear the Explorer for my wedding day, would be a great first memory with it.
    Oh I really hope you get the call too! When did you put your name down?

Apprentice
    Oh I really hope you get the call too! When did you put your name down?

Thanks!

I suspect I put it down too late looking at the timeframes in this thread, as it was only a couple of months ago.

The explorer is the watch that really started me on a path into this hobby and an early Everest from Eddie satisfied me for a couple of years but its since sadly gone. I’ve been on a cycle of trying to satisfy the itch elsewhere but none have done it…. A Tudor BB41 first which was too big, I have a Tudor North Flag which I love and although explorer like, is a very different watch really. I had an Omega Railmaster silver dial for a while but the faux lume didn’t do it for me and finally I currently have an Omega Globemaster white dial which is a really impressive watch and I admire it a lot but have not really built a connection to it.

Craftsman
    For info - Mine arrived 2 weeks ago after a 10 month wait

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    After never being a fan of the Explorer, I found the lack of a 12 numeral off putting. Mainly a fan of the Sub (although my BB58 has put a stop to owning one) & the OP models

Browsing Bluewater today & popped into M&W to look at any 36mm OPs and see how they fit/ feel. Sales assistant recommended trying the 36mm Explorer, wow was I pleasantly surprised. Now I'm torn between this and the new Speedy.

I think that Explorer looks superb on your wrist.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    For info - Mine arrived 2 weeks ago after a 10 month wait

Nice! Congrats - any photos to share?!

Craftsman
    Here it is with it’s big brother

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I think that Explorer looks superb on your wrist.
    Thank you was surprised how much I liked it. Just need to make a decision which route I want to take and then contact my AD

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Here it is with it’s big brother

Haha! Brilliant! Which one do you gravitate more towards?

Presumably the 39mm, greater mass.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Presumably the 39mm, greater mass.
    Aren't you supposed to finish with "I'll get my coat .."?

:-)

Craftsman
    Neither just now actually - I’m wearing a 1960s vintage Date

Apprentice
    Thanks!

I suspect I put it down too late looking at the timeframes in this thread, as it was only a couple of months ago.

The explorer is the watch that really started me on a path into this hobby and an early Everest from Eddie satisfied me for a couple of years but its since sadly gone. I’ve been on a cycle of trying to satisfy the itch elsewhere but none have done it…. A Tudor BB41 first which was too big, I have a Tudor North Flag which I love and although explorer like, is a very different watch really. I had an Omega Railmaster silver dial for a while but the faux lume didn’t do it for me and finally I currently have an Omega Globemaster white dial which is a really impressive watch and I admire it a lot but have not really built a connection to it.
    So, an update on this….

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I registered my interest in this watch in March, mentioning that I hoped it could be my wedding watch.

Well, I popped in the shop yesterday lunchtime to collect my fiancés wedding ring, after I checked it over the sales representative went away to package it up and when he came back he said “now your fiancé has something special to wear on the day, you need something too”.

To my surprise, on the tray was an Explorer!

I’m pleased to say I am now the owner of my original grail watch, the one that really got me started in this hobby and I get to start making many memories with it, including my wedding day.

Here it is…. I couldn’t be happier with it!

Craftsman
    I’m pleased to say I am now the owner of my original grail watch, the one that really got me started in this hobby and I get to start making many memories with it, including my wedding day.
    Congratulations on your score. March to August... Not too bad a wait =)

And I hope you and your fiance have a lovely wedding!

Congratulations TTSFR. That wonderful!

Congrats TTSFR, what a great experience and what a watch. Wears perfectly on your wrist.

All the benefits of a modern 6 digit Rolex while looking like the 5 digit dream.