closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Explorer 36mm - Ref 124270

Quote Originally Posted by Aggy View Post
    On this, are these both the same dial size? What’s the lug to lug? Looks to me like the one on the right has more lug either side of the dial (so is it that the dial is smaller on that one, or that lug to lug is larger, or just the angle of the shot)? I actually prefer the look of the one on the right a bit more - the one on the left looks a bit too squared off.
    Left is new, right is old. Left has 19mm lug width, right has 20mm lug width. Both have practically the same case diameter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Not questioning that you've owned 3. It's just a bizarre to claim there is literally nothing good about a watch that you've evidently gone and spent thousands of your own money on three times over. Either you're a bit mad (unlikely), or you're exaggerating your statements about the watch (likely). That aside, what you have is an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less, same as everyone else, and in at least one instance it's factually incorrect ('not an Explorer'). It does come across a little like you're stating your personal preference on a watch design as if it's a fact.

Probably not intentional, it's a minor point really.
    Have to say, I have some sympathy with Toshk on this. Took me 2 attempts to realise the 214270 wasn't for me. Superb watch in isolation, it's just the dial proportions didn't work for me with the massive logo, sized-up 3, 6, 9 and wider bezel. I found it wore so much bigger than the dimensions would imply.

All of this was confirmed for me once I'd bought a 114270 which was a big call for me as I hadn't owned a watch as 'small' since and wondered how I'd get on with it over time. Loved it in the time I had it, I think the plain styling of the Explorer just works in the smaller size.

Now Rolex have gone back to 36 (really didn't see that coming, especially as they've discontinued the 39), I just question the decision to keep the big logo and numerals. Don't like the two-tone option, think this distills the original ethos behind the plain, simple tool watch vibe. The decision to reduce the RRP (whilst a moot point for many of us) is to be applauded too. If they'd given it a 1016 dial, then I'd forgive them everything.

I bought a 214270 T-Rex back in 2014 and love it to bits. Tried on the new model last week and found it to be tiny, almost toy-like, and I don't have large wrists. It's a lovely looking thing though - the gloss dial really pops

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    I bought a 214270 T-Rex back in 2014 and love it to bits. Tried on the new model last week and found it to be tiny, almost toy-like, and I don't have large wrists. It's a lovely looking thing though - the gloss dial really pops
    I know I am in a minority but I also own an 39mm Explorer MK1 version and I still like it more than any other version. It's sedate enough for the office and cool enough for walking around in the great outdoors.

A brilliant watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I was on my third 214270 at the time as well.

That Explorer looks enormous on you!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    Really interesting to see those two side by side. I'm not a big fan of the Explorer 1 or a Rolex nerd, but the one on the right seems a lot more elegant to me.

No complaints from me on my 7” wrist!

Case size is very much down to what you are used to and I'm pretty sure most people could get used to a 36mm case size. I had a 114270 for years and I always found it to be the perfect size on my 7 inch wrists. Fast forward to today and I now have a small collection of much bigger watches. When I put my 37mm Grand Seiko on (very similar in size to a 36mm Explorer) for the first time in a while it does feel small but in time it starts to look normal. The same happens the other way too. I switched to a Linde Werdelin this week and it felt comedy big but a few days in and it feels normal again.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 9th June 2021 at 12:24. Reason: too many sures

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Case size is very much down to what you are used to and I'm pretty sure most people could get used to a 36mm case size. I had a 114270 for years and I always found it to be the perfect size on my 7 inch wrists. Fast forward to today and I now have a small collection of much bigger watches. When I put my 37mm Grand Seiko on (very similar in size to a 36mm Explorer) for the first time in a while it does feel small but in time it starts to look normal. The same happens the other way too. I switched to a Linde Werdelin this week and it felt comedy big but a few days in and it feels normal again.
    Yes indeed I agree, put this on after a 41mm OP which made it feel small in comparison.

After a few hours you become dialled in so to speak.. ;-)

Craftsman
    Anyone had first hand experience with approximate wait times? Put my name down for one at a Goldsmiths I have purchase history with. The sales assistant was lovely, and incredibly helpful, but said she honestly had no idea how long I might be waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Anyone had first hand experience with approximate wait times? Put my name down for one at a Goldsmiths I have purchase history with. The sales assistant was lovely, and incredibly helpful, but said she honestly had no idea how long I might be waiting.
    Considering the watch was only release 2 months ago, I think I can speak for anyone with first hand experience in saying the wait time was under 2 months

Unfortunately, I suspect that does not represent the full story! Anecdotally it seems Rolex is a crap shoot, some folk stick their name down for a Sub and it turns up 2 months later with no prior history, others report waiting years with no luck despite previous purchases.

I was either after a tritium explorer 1 or tritium Explorer 2 polar. I ended up finding a polar, last week I purchased a tudor BB 36 hoping it would fill the 36mm void it kind of has until I saw the comparison video. The BB 36 has a 19mm bracelet but it tapers to a 16mm clasp but I do like the 14mm taper better.

On the subject of the 36 is too small for my manly 7 inch wrist, mines a bigger 7 3/4 inch and it sits perfect. Years ago I was told the way to find your watch size was look at your wrist and the head should take up 2/3 of your visible wrist.

This works perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baden H; 10th June 2021 at 17:26.

^^^
    On the subject of the 36 is too small for my manly 7 inch wrist, mines a bigger 7 3/4 inch and it sits perfect. Years ago I was told the way to find your watch size was look at your wrist and the head should take up 1/3 of your visible wrist.

if that is true I need to find a 18mm watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    I was either after a tritium explorer 1 or tritium Explorer 2 polar. I ended up finding a polar, last week I purchased a tudor BB 36 hoping it would fill the 36mm void it kind of has until I saw the comparison video. The BB 36 has a 19mm bracelet but it tapers to a 16mm clasp but I do like the 14mm taper better.

On the subject of the 36 is too small for my manly 7 inch wrist, mines a bigger 7 3/4 inch and it sits perfect. Years ago I was told the way to find your watch size was look at your wrist and the head should take up 1/3 of your visible wrist.

This works perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    I think it looks good, its nice to see a watch head for a change that doesn't cover the whole top of the wrist.

My DJ 36mm on 7 1/4 wrist.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 10th June 2021 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    ^^^

if that is true I need to find a 18mm watch.
    Just noticed my mistake it should cover 2/3rds of your wrist edited it.

I’ve had a long hot day lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    Just noticed my mistake it should cover 2/3rds of your wrist edited it.

I’ve had a long hot day lol
    Me too :) I can rest easy at 36mm and push the boat out at 40.

Craftsman
    Tried one on the other day at AD. Really like it in every respect. Even the other half approves and it also looks good on her wrist. But, no surprise, it made my 214270 look big next to it. I've never considered it to be a big watch before. On reflection, I do think that if both sizes were available in the current line up I'd probably go for the new 36mm. 214270 isn't going anywhere any time soon though; might have to be greedy and have both!

Bracelet doesn’t feel narrow at all. Very comfortable actually.

Craftsman
    Looks great. What’s your wrist size? Still waiting on mine, I expect it’ll be a while...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Looks great. What’s your wrist size? Still waiting on mine, I expect it’ll be a while...
    I honestly don’t know. Never measured, but it is on the large side.

That looks excellent on your wrist, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    That looks excellent on your wrist, congratulations.
    Thanks a lot!

Master
    Blog Entries

Nice, an absolute classic design.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Nice, an absolute classic design.
    Shame they decided to introduce such drastic taper. Clasp is indeed tiny.

DateJust 36mm next to the new Explorer 36mm for a comparison.

Crap picture but the new Explorer is brilliant. Makes the ceramic gmts and subs look quite vulgar.

Last edited by Justin Case; 16th July 2021 at 22:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shame they decided to introduce such drastic taper. Clasp is indeed tiny.
    Bit odd agreed but most people look at the dial not the clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Crap picture but the new Explorer is a brilliant. Makes the ceramic gmts and subs look quite vulgar.

Show us that skinny hairy wrist!

Craftsman
    i’m torn between the 39mm and the new 36mm, bark and jack seems to be an ambassador for the new 36mm, i quite enjoy he’s reviews and might give that a try if i could ever get hold of one that is

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsy_79 View Post
    i’m torn between the 39mm and the new 36mm, bark and jack seems to be an ambassador for the new 36mm, i quite enjoy he’s reviews and might give that a try if i could ever get hold of one that is
    I’ve had both, 39 just doesn’t look right IMO. YMMV however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Ref 124270

I was very excited when Rolex announced the 36mm explorer would be making a return.

For years I often contemplated getting the older 114270 but for one reason or another the stars never aligned.

Once a modern 36mm Explorer became a reality in April, it was something I had to try and get.

There was and is a little bit of noise around regarding the size of this watch, with some claiming that it would wear too small with the narrower lug width and exaggerated taper. After reading this it also made me pause and consider whether it was something that could possibly spoil it.

So now I have it in hand, yes in comparison, the bracelet is and looks narrower when compared to the older 114270 and 214270, especially just before meeting the clasp.

However to my eyes this is an improvement and a more balanced design and I think it has actually improved the overall proportions and flow between bracelet and case. Was the bracelet from a 40mm watch ever the optimum size for a 36mm watch?

For some wrists this will always be too small as will be the case with most 36mm watches. But for others this is as close to perfection as modern Rolex has to offer - and I’m firmly in that camp.

Last edited by namzo; 14th August 2021 at 11:13.

That looks the perfect size on you. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    …this is as close to perfection as modern Rolex has to offer…
    Agreed.

Craftsman

Rolex Explorer 36mm - Ref 124270

i’m so glad rolex went back to their roots on the explorer 1! it’s such a simple watch with no date and such an uncluttered dial this should always be at the sweet spot, 36MM, was considering sourcing a 39MM but i think the 36MM is the one to go for now
    Last edited by ellsy_79; 14th August 2021 at 12:34.

It does look good on you. Whenever I wear a 36mm watch however, it looks way too small for me.

Unfortunately the ship has sailed for a 39mm explorer but I’m in the queue for a 39mm Air King from my local AD.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks the perfect size on you. Congrats.
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Received my 36mm 124270 this weekend. I also own a 1016 Explorer from the 1970s and recently sold the 214270 39mm Explorer, so I have played around with a few of these. The sizing is pretty good for my wrist (6.5 ins) and overall I’m pretty happy with it. The only downside I perceive is that the dial feels a bit small, but I’ll get used to it. Conversely I found the dial on the 214270 way too big. They’ve also done away with the matte dial in this new version, which I find an improvement. There was always this browny hue to the matte dial on my 214270 that I could not unsee and it really annoyed me. The taper of the bracelet on the new 36mm is quite a nice feature, but I’m aware some will find it too dainty. It has a nice solid feel but with considerably less heft than most 6 digit professional Rolexes. All in all, it’s pretty decent. The 1016 is the pick of the bunch for me but it’s nice to have one that’s got the latest movement, solid bracelet / clasp etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Some photos of it next to the 1016 would be appreciated!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Here’s my 124270 next to my 1974 1016…

Craftsman
    Which do you prefer 11erv? I’m finding that with the 20mm bracelet, the 1016 feels bigger. Although it doesn’t show in your photos, when I look at them side by side in real life, the dial on the 1016 looks bigger too.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post

both look great John..

Craftsman
    I also can’t seem to find a way to post a pic from the app.

I can’t remember if I posted this before but here is one next to a 5 digit DJ.

I've had mine 3 weeks now and have been wearing it nonstop. It is the perfect daily wear, just as I was hoping it would be after doing the usual scouring of reviews etc but I think most people on here knew that already.

How it compares to previous versions of the Explorer; I can't comment as I haven't owned any of the previous, but this is my first new/modern Rolex and I think I'll find it difficult to go back to a watch/bracelet that I can't adjust on the fly.

I have about 6.5" wrists and usually wear 39-41mm (41 being my limit IMO), so the 36mm did feel small at first but only for a day or two. I do have another 36mm that I wear from time to time and enjoy it for the smaller size, but I wear that on a leather strap and I think having a 36mm on a bracelet helps with any percieved size issues. Now though it just feels right and I think it looks much better on my wrist size to the point where I'm not sure about being able to get away with 41mm any more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    I've had mine 3 weeks now and have been wearing it nonstop. It is the perfect daily wear, just as I was hoping it would be after doing the usual scouring of reviews etc but I think most people on here knew that already.

How it compares to previous versions of the Explorer; I can't comment as I haven't owned any of the previous, but this is my first new/modern Rolex and I think I'll find it difficult to go back to a watch/bracelet that I can't adjust on the fly.

I have about 6.5" wrists and usually wear 39-41mm (41 being my limit IMO), so the 36mm did feel small at first but only for a day or two. I do have another 36mm that I wear from time to time and enjoy it for the smaller size, but I wear that on a leather strap and I think having a 36mm on a bracelet helps with any percieved size issues. Now though it just feels right and I think it looks much better on my wrist size to the point where I'm not sure about being able to get away with 41mm any more.

Looks perfectly sized on your wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw one of these in the window of a non-AD, it looked great. £8250 seemed a bit optimistic but maybe that’s what they go for

Can’t wait to get the call about one of these. One of my current Explorer I’s will be for the chop to make way for one.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post

Thanks….that 1016 is simply sublime!

As an aside for someone looking for a 1016 experience on the cheap, this homage from San Martin is sublime. Excellent quality and bracelet is better quality than Steinhart, Squale etc homages.