closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Football Nostalgia Thread

The Football Nostalgia Thread

Inspired by the Mundials for sale on SC and a conversation I had with my brother yesterday about our all-time favourite football shirts, I thought it might be nice to have a thread on the subject of our favourite items that could evoke memories of our pasts and childhoods. I'm looking for your favourite strips, boots, balls, trainers, scarves or anything that you look back on and think "that was my all-time favourite....".

So here goes with my favourites:

Strip:
    England '82 World Cup.
    I wore mine until it fell apart.

Boots: Adidas Copa Mundial. This was a tough choice with Puma King, Adidas World Cup, Nike Tiempo and Mundial being in there.

Ball: Adidas Tango. Never been bettered although the Mitre Multiplex was a great ball too.

Shin Pads: Robson Gold.
    Over to you....
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 25th May 2021 at 16:46. Reason: Pics

Like this?.....................................

Language not suitable for work.

A couple spring to mind

And lastly the Welsh strip was great

Master
    The Mitre Multiplex ball & the scratchy Admiral England kit that I used to love, all in one advert with KK.

For boots it was a close call between Puma King & Adidias World Cup - had both but the World Cups probably won my heart due to that sole plate!

Those were the days!

Master
    I miss football grounds with rows of blue painted one seater cars for the disabled parked behind the goals. They added to the ambiance of the occasion.

Master
    Red ash/blaes pitches
    Misery

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Still going in the boys gate at the football when you were about 30

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Obviously this.

"There are people on the pitch, they think it's all over - it is now!"

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Jumpers for goalposts.
    Playing in the street and having to stop for a minute when a car wanted to go by.
    i.e 1970s

You youngsters today wouldn't know what had hit you if you'd got one of theses kicked at you at 100mph as it smacked into your bare thigh on a cold winter's morning during PE!

They always made a hollow ping sound when they'd cannoned off bare flesh.

Only the posh kids could afford George Best Matchmakers, the rest of us had to make do with a pair of plimsolls from Woolies.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    A couple spring to mind

Admiral kits brought style and technicolour to football, I loved every kit they made including the brown Coventry away kit and was gutted my team Chelsea always stuck with boring Umbro.

Craftsman
    I love the 82 England top, I have a repo version of it I got for the last world cup instead of getting the current one.

When I played football, I always wore Puma Kings, so I am going to go for that.

Favourite "My Team" shirt, would have to be the JVC Arsenal one. (88/89).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really a football strip guy: football boots, though...

A brief resume -

Stylo Matchmakers (pre-Best)

Power Points

Gola Goalmasters (as worn by Liverpool)

Lawrence (something-or-other - can't remember the model!)

Adidas Penarol

Adidas AD2000

Puma King

No doubt there were others...

(I had several pairs of Adidas Flanker rugby boots with the square toes as well.)
    ______

​Jim.

Puma Kings.

I wore them, my sons wore them and now my Grandson wears them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Vintage footie trainers -

Gola Combi

Puma Allround

Puma Allplay

Adidas Samba.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Ah yes, the old leather casey, would sort the men from the boys today for sure :)

Blog Entries

The Football Nostalgia Thread

This shirt (& player) has special memories for me...

Further back... the classic all sky blue 1970's Man City kit - that's me with the cricket bat !

z
    Last edited by zelig; 25th May 2021 at 17:12.

Master
    For boots it depended on position in goal or defence then Puma Kings or King Pro, for midfield use World Cups or Copa Mundials and when up front Unmbro Speciali
    I used to play for several teams at a time and was a jack of all trades and master of none position wise. One season I played every position apart from left wing for one of the teams.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    For boots it depended on position in goal or defence then Puma Kings or King Pro, for midfield use World Cups or Copa Mundials and when up front Unmbro Speciali
    I used to play for several teams at a time and was a jack of all trades and master of none position wise. One season I played every position apart from left wing for one of the teams.

You actually wore different boots depending on which position you were picked in ??
    If you were defending a corner in your Kings and broke out of defence , at which point did you switch to the Copa Mondials ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    You actually wore different boots depending on which position you were picked in ??
    If you were defending a corner in your Kings and broke out of defence , at which point did you switch to the Copa Mondials ?
    It depended on where I started the match, the King's were fairly tough and I stood up well to abuse at the back, without the need for finesse, the Adidas an good all rounder but if starting in defence I preferred the thicker kings. When up front the Umbros had suck thin Kangaroo leather that you could feel the ball better but you didn't want a stud on your foot as the leather being so thin made it potentially painful.
    Yes I normally had three or four pairs of boots on the go at once, a mix of hard and soft ground, normally Kings and Umbros with screw in studs and the Copa moulded.
    One of my mates used to work in a sports shop so we used his staff discount so it wasn't too bad.
    I've known players, even pro players who wore two different makes of boot at the same time, that's a step too far for me.

Back in the 70’s, I got the England kit for Christmas and remember being heartbroken when whilst wearing it on Christmas Day, complete with my football boots, I slipped on the Lino on the kitchen floor and knocked a bowl of beetroot off the table splashing onto my new England shirt.

Here’s a pic of my old primary school team. I’m the one with the balls (captain). Pretty sure my boots were Gola. I do remember having a pair where the thread of one of the studs came through the sole of the boots cutting my foot quite badly.

Note the absence of any shin pads, we were hard in those days!

Can’t remember what the watch was that Neil Jones was wearing next to me though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tenko; 25th May 2021 at 20:44.

I had precisely two strips as a kid - the Scotland one near the top of the thread and a bit later Ipswich Town, no idea why as I’ve always lived in Aberdeen. Hero-worshipped Paul Mariner and a couple Dutch dudes whose names I forget, iirc Bobby Robson was the manager.

3 and In anyone? Game for the small group: score three and you become goalie. Repeat until bored!