closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eric Cantona - one of a kind!

Master
    Blog Entries

Eric Cantona - one of a kind!

My mother, who died in 2003 aged 87, was not a sports fan. Nevertheless, she adored Eric Cantona and in her late seventies took to watching MU games whenever they were televised. She would have enjoyed reading about him in yesterday's Telegraph magazine. This extract brought back happy memories of my mother and a smile to my face.

'I had a very special relationship with Alex Ferguson. I think he is the one who understood me best. It helps me improve myself; and if I improve myself I can improve the team. He helped me to feel comfortable and confident, and gave me the freedom to be myself. But the most important thing was to make the other players understand that they should give the ball to me.' This is said with a straight face.

He certainly is one of a kind!
    Last edited by JonRA; 23rd May 2021 at 11:33.

I’m not a big footie fan but the flying kick he did on the spectator was kinda special!

Funnily enough my mum was a mad footie watcher in her later years too

Excellent. When inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame last week he said "I am very happy and very proud, but at the same time I am not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I’m not a big footie fan but the flying kick he did on the spectator was kinda special!
    That is often given as the ultimate example of the shit hitting the fan.

Saw him play many times. An absolute football genius and legend.
    The Kung fu kick made him infamous, alas for the wrong reasons.

When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    That is often given as the ultimate example of the shit hitting the fan.
    The funniest thing about that for me was that the person on the receiving end of Eric's intervention claimed to have provoked him by shouting "Off you go, Cantona - it's an early bath for you!"

Even his Kronenbourg advert was well played.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The funniest thing about that for me was that the person on the receiving end of Eric's intervention claimed to have provoked him by shouting "Off you go, Cantona - it's an early bath for you!"
    EC was allegedly responding to a certain salute, this photo kind of supports that theory

He’s certainly a character seems to thinks of himself as a modern day Napoleon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cat7; 23rd May 2021 at 11:26.

Not a huge football fan now although I used to go in the 80s.

Cantona brought a little more depth and I did like the music video he was in.

We’ve just watched him in Inhuman Resources on Netflix, he’s a pretty good actor too.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post

He certainly was one of a kind!

Let's just be clear, Eric hasn't died? The post and this comment did make me wonder.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Let's just be clear, Eric hasn't died? The post and this comment did make me wonder.
    Sorry - he's definitely alive - I'll edit that bit.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I was smiling when I heard that some Utd fans were comparing Bruno Fernandes with Cantona...maybe it was the fans who were too young to remember him. Even as a Liverpool fan I'd pay to watch Cantona any day of the week - he was a unique talent with unbelievable skills, alongside Bergkamp and Zola in the early years of the PL.

Thanks Jon! Glad he’s still with us, he is a character.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Thanks Jon! Glad he’s still with us, he is a character.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Another PL legend who was equally as crazy

https://youtu.be/J9CLiDqYfLc

I remember old timers talking about players from the past and thinking 'yeah, yeah'.

I suppose kids today must think the same about Cantona. He was a remarkable talent and talismanic.

Good shout on Zola too ^.

Master
    I was fortunate enough to own a season ticket at Old Trafford at the time of Eric’s spell at United.
    He was the talisman that unlocked the incredible domination that United held over the newly established Premier League for many, many years. Not only was he one of the best players ever to play for Utd but like all top footballers he made such a huge impression on the younger team players and gave them the confidence to go on to the very peak of English, European and world football.
    He genuinely played to the OT crowd like a conductor to his band, some of his play was breathtaking in the audacity of things he did to opposing teams. He was flawed as well, his attack on the fan at Crystal palace was ground braking for all the wrong reasons and a very sad time for himself and United as there is no defence that could be given for his actions.
    A genius and as mad as a box of frogs but my god what a footballer and will always be called ‘King Eric’ by the United faithful.

He’s now starring in the latest Just Eat TV advert!

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    I was fortunate enough to own a season ticket at Old Trafford at the time of Eric’s spell at United.
    He was the talisman that unlocked the incredible domination that United held over the newly established Premier League for many, many years. Not only was he one of the best players ever to play for Utd but like all top footballers he made such a huge impression on the younger team players and gave them the confidence to go on to the very peak of English, European and world football.
    He genuinely played to the OT crowd like a conductor to his band, some of his play was breathtaking in the audacity of things he did to opposing teams. He was flawed as well, his attack on the fan at Crystal palace was ground braking for all the wrong reasons and a very sad time for himself and United as there is no defence that could be given for his actions.
    A genius and as mad as a box of frogs but my god what a footballer and will always be called ‘King Eric’ by the United faithful.
    No defence for his kungfu kick but I was kinda of proud of him giving it back
    Last edited by awright101; 23rd May 2021 at 18:21.

I was at the “Kung Fu” game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kicking racism out of football.

Cannot smile enough when looking back at King Eric and his Utd days. He was sublime. Man of principle, poet, artist. My favourite United player ever.

There was this awesome YouTube video of his premier League penalties. He sent the keeper the wrong way and scored every single time except once against Mark Crossley who was in goal for his previous club Leeds.

Master
    I love this scene from Looking for Eric. "I am not a man, I am Cantona"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaRi-79yRw4